Genesis Platinum C

Roy, I'm lazy when it comes to cleaning grates and would try a burnoff for 15 to 20 mins on high and clean with a brush. They look serviceable.

I've used stamped stainless for years. They work well. Thick stainless rod or cast iron will sear better as there is more mass to hold more heat vs the stamped steel.
So what I have is stamped stainless? I'm surprised. Thought they were cast iron. Shows what I know.

I bought the stainless steel angle from Grainger - it is 1/8in thickness with 3/4in inner length on each side of the angle. It was $28... looks like prices have gone up since then. For flat bar stainless...

That 1 inch stock should be plenty to provide stability...
Thank you. I'm going to measure the length and make sure 72 inches is enough. What does one use to cut through stainless to get the length right?

Thank you. I'm going to measure the length and make sure 72 inches is enough. What does one use to cut through stainless to get the length right?
I believe I used an angle grinder to rough cut to length, and then a dremel for the final cut. Make sure you get SS... many websites will sell you garden variety flat bar steel, but for the best future protection you'll want the SS. Will cost a bit more but worth it I think.

So what I have is stamped stainless? I'm surprised. Thought they were cast iron. Shows what I know.
Hard to tell from your pics. Clean a small section with steel wool. If it cleans up silver, it's stainless. If it cleans gray, it is enamel. Here is a Pic side by side.

20220110_183904.jpg

I believe I used an angle grinder to rough cut to length, and then a dremel for the final cut. Make sure you get SS... many websites will sell you garden variety flat bar steel, but for the best future protection you'll want the SS. Will cost a bit more but worth it I think.
Isn't the link you sent for SS?

Isn't the link you sent for SS?
Yes, I didn't want to assume you would buy from that link - I believe the only cost effective method for buying from Grainger for me was to have the product shipped to their store for pickup. If you don't have that available, then you'll need to search elsewhere...

Does anyone have a link for cast iron grills? I'm not sure if I want to buy them but would be interested in seeing how they differ from what I have.

Those are over $100. Not cheap. What makes them worth that much?
If you're interested in cast iron for that grill, look for Weber part #7638. They aren't exactly the same as the ones Weber shipped with grills back in the day, but seem very nice and not too expensive. If you were close to me I could just give you a set of original cast iron grates to try as they are just sitting in the garage unloved🙂

If you're interested in cast iron for that grill, look for Weber part #7638. They aren't exactly the same as the ones Weber shipped with grills back in the day, but seem very nice and not too expensive. If you were close to me I could just give you a set of original cast iron grates to try as they are just sitting in the garage unloved🙂
That's very kind of you, Steve. I'd be happy to pay the cost of shipping unless it's just not worth it.

There used to be one right near me but it closed. So I'd have to drive about an hour. That's alright.

Was just measuring the legs. Looks like if I were just strapping the legs from side to side, one 72 inch piece would be enough. The actual measurement end to end was 36.5 there would be plenty of room to screw into each leg with the strap stopping 1/4 inch short of the end.

But wouldn't it need to be strapped front to back too? Those legs are 18 inches apart so it seems I'd need two of those 72 inch pieces. Am I correct?

Those are over $100. Not cheap. What makes them worth that much?
[GrillGrates] People either love them or they hate them. It has been discussed here several times and always seems to end up in a heated discussion so it's best avoided.

Last edited:
That's probably true. The post office doesn't have book rate for anything but books.

Why do you not use them?
I have the same ones you just got on your new grill. They are easy to clean, don't get rusty, and last forever. Of course, I can probably say pretty much the same thing about these cast iron ones.

[GrillGrates] People either love them or they hate them. It has been discussed here several times and always seems to end up in a heated discussion so it's best avoided. Here's what Meathead at amazingribs.com says:

About aluminum? I'm not seeing anything about cast iron.

I have the same ones you just got on your new grill. They are easy to clean, don't get rusty, and last forever. Of course, I can probably say pretty much the same thing about these cast iron ones.
Well, except the "don't get rusty" part. I love cooking on cast iron in general. I have a beloved indoor grill and have used many cast iron frying pans over the years. My wife does not understand. She prefer stainless cookware.

There used to be one right near me but it closed. So I'd have to drive about an hour. That's alright.

Was just measuring the legs. Looks like if I were just strapping the legs from side to side, one 72 inch piece would be enough. The actual measurement end to end was 36.5 there would be plenty of room to screw into each leg with the strap stopping 1/4 inch short of the end.

But wouldn't it need to be strapped front to back too? Those legs are 18 inches apart so it seems I'd need two of those 72 inch pieces. Am I correct?
Sounds like you'd need to order at a minimum both a 36 and a 72.

Back