Genesis Platinum C

I think the large "Game" box for USPS is about $25 flat rate.

Also, if someone hasn't mentioned BBQParts.com yet, they have a good set of SS solid rod grates that are 5/16". Not as heavy as RCPlanebyer, but not as expensive either.

Yes, that's a set I'm considering. Would you say those are substantially better than QuliMetal grates that are under $50? Are they worth the difference?

John, I went to my local hardware store, a very large and old-fashioned sort of place, the kind that was once common but rarely seen anymore. They didn't have stainless in a thick enough gauge but they had some nice pre-cut aluminum angle irons. Tell me if I'm wrong in thinking they won't rust. And because they can hold wood or other planks (perhaps I'll use Fiberon, as I have some left over from a decking project), they should provide plenty of torsional strength.
That depends on you and your desires. If you plan to have a Genesis 1000 or Silver/Gold/Platinum Genesis for a long time, and you plan to do regular grilling, then get the best you can at a reasonable price. If you will likely tire of grilling after a few year or want to move to a different/newer grill, then I would get the sub $50 grates. They are good quality grates and will serve you well. But the 5/16" grates are better.

Either set will last you 20 years. $100 over 20 years is only $5 a year.

Oh, hey, here is another choice for you to consider. These would be virtually the same as the BBParts.com grates. These are listed as 8mm and basically the same as 5/16". But much cheaper and free shipping along with free returns.

You want the ones listed as fitting the Spirit 300 grills.

That depends on you and your desires. If you plan to have a Genesis 1000 or Silver/Gold/Platinum Genesis for a long time, and you plan to do regular grilling, then get the best you can at a reasonable price. If you will likely tire of grilling after a few year or want to move to a different/newer grill, then I would get the sub $50 grates. They are good quality grates and will serve you well. But the 5/16" grates are better.

Either set will last you 20 years. $100 over 20 years is only $5 a year.
Thanks. Are they close enough to rcplanebuyer's grills that one isn't likely to notice all that much difference? Not that I can even get those for now, but if it really is a lifetime purchase, it might be smart to wait.

The issue you run into with aluminum is that the the steel in the frame doesn’t play nice with aluminum. Eventually you will get corrosion.

The issue you run into with aluminum is that the the steel in the frame doesn’t play nice with aluminum. Eventually you will get corrosion.
Glad I asked. Will return the angle irons and figure out something else. Maybe make a point of going to Granger next time I'm going through Everett.

Oh, hey, here is another choice for you to consider. These would be virtually the same as the BBParts.com grates. These are listed as 8mm and basically the same as 5/16". But much cheaper and free shipping along with free returns.

You want the ones listed as fitting the Spirit 300 grills.
According to Amazon, I bought a set of these back when I did my review. I don't recognize the name. They look like the "Midwest Hearth" ones that I DID buy and review. I like the BBQParts.com better, for sure. Also, BBQParts.com is a very good US company that supports restoring old grills, so I think they are worthy of our support (as is Dave Santana, but see below)

If these are the same as Midwest Hearth they are NOT 304 stainless. How much that matters I am not positive. I have had other 430 grates that did just fine. Anyway hope that helps a little.

DAVE SANTANA/rcplanebuyer update:

According to Amazon, I bought a set of these back when I did my review. I don't recognize the name. They look like the "Midwest Hearth" ones that I DID buy and review. I like the BBQParts.com better, for sure. Also, BBQParts.com is a very good US company that supports restoring old grills, so I think they are worthy of our support (as is Dave Santana, but see below)

If these are the same as Midwest Hearth they are NOT 304 stainless. How much that matters I am not positive. I have had other 430 grates that did just fine. Anyway hope that helps a little.

DAVE SANTANA/rcplanebuyer update:
Thanks Jon. So many options.

But, are we talking about Stainless Steel and Aluminum? I don't think you will get the same corrosion problems than if the steel was regular carbon steel.

But, are we talking about Stainless Steel and Aluminum? I don't think you will get the same corrosion problems than if the steel was regular carbon steel.
Yes, the frame on the Platinum is stainless (as far as I know -- you guys certainly know better). The angle irons are aluminum.

I don't think the Midwest Hearth grates are available. They haven't been available on Amazon for quite a while now.
Yes that is what I understood as well. But, I don't recognize buying from (or reviewing) this "new" brand, yet when I look at my orders on Amazon it says that I did. They look like the Midwest Hearth ones that I did buy, so I am wondering if they "changed" their name and Amazon back-changed it on my order history?

I posted this in another thread, but here it is again:

UPDATE ON DAVE SANTANA/"rcplanebuyer":

Member Roy told me in a PM that he contacted Dave Santana through eBay (his Craigslist ad is not up right now). He said that Dave told him that he was not currently making grill grates due to supply issues and that his prices would likely have to go up substantially when materials become available again. I was afraid of that:(.

Yes that is what I understood as well. But, I don't recognize buying from (or reviewing) this "new" brand, yet when I look at my orders on Amazon it says that I did. They look like the Midwest Hearth ones that I did buy, so I am wondering if they "changed" their name and Amazon back-changed it on my order history?
No, this new brand came out after your review and now that you mention it, they do look just like the Midwest grates which are discontinued. You many be right that they changed their store name.

Back