Genesis Platinum C

I posted this in another thread, but here it is again:

UPDATE ON DAVE SANTANA/"rcplanebuyer":

Member Roy told me in a PM that he contacted Dave Santana through eBay (his Craigslist ad is not up right now). He said that Dave told him that he was not currently making grill grates due to supply issues and that his prices would likely have to go up substantially when materials become available again. I was afraid of that:(.
Yes, Dave responded to a message I'd send him through ebay. It's too bad.

Not yet. I'm watching as you and Jon discuss. I'll check the Amazon reviews as well to try to get an answer as to the grade of stainless.
Roy, it looks like they are either 403 or 430 stainless. Not as good as 304, but not a deal breaker imo.

Roy, it looks like they are either 403 or 430 stainless. Not as good as 304, but not a deal breaker imo.
Do you think it's worth paying the extra $15 for 304?

At this point, perhaps we've beaten this to death. Where I think I'm coming down is to get one set of the bbqparts grills at $99. That the difference from the rcplanebuyer grill is substantial for those who are really into this hobby in a big way but that a guy like me might not even notice or appreciate the difference in how they grill. And that it probably is worth paying $100 for the best of what's currently available.

If I could get the same grates as 304 for $15 more, yes, I would probably go that route......shipping should be considered however.

If I could get the same grates as 304 for $15 more, yes, I would probably go that route......shipping should be considered however.
Good point. So it winds up being $25 more. Probably still worth it. An insignificant number in the long run (and even the short run).

Do you have a sense of how they compare to any of the others or with regard to the grade of stainless?

What have you liked about them?
As advertised, they do appear to be 304 stainless; no corrosion at all, even in our damp Oregon weather. The spacing is also a little tighter than most others, which makes them nicer to cook on. (Most of the reason people go for 8mm rods, I think, is to get tighter spacing, not because they're all that more durable than a 7mm rod.) They were also the only ones (at the time) that matched the length of the OEM Weber grates, which means they fit better even if the cookbox is a little bowed.

I went through the same process of choosing that you're going through, and these were overall the very best value. I'd buy them again.

I looked up the dates and now realize that this was when I bought the “DCYourHome” grates, not Midwest Hearth. They must have changed there name.

As advertised, they do appear to be 304 stainless; no corrosion at all, even in our damp Oregon weather. The spacing is also a little tighter than most others, which makes them nicer to cook on. (Most of the reason people go for 8mm rods, I think, is to get tighter spacing, not because they're all that more durable than a 7mm rod.) They were also the only ones (at the time) that matched the length of the OEM Weber grates, which means they fit better even if the cookbox is a little bowed.

I went through the same process of choosing that you're going through, and these were overall the very best value. I'd buy them again.
Did you compare them to the bbqparts grates and decide to go for them over those? If so, why?

Just ordered the bbqparts grills. Thanks for everyone's assistance and input. Will let you know when they arrive and how I like 'em.

Now if I can get my hands on some primo cast iron grates for the other grill, I'll be super happy. Meanwhile, will also keep my eyes out for the Summit grate that can be cut down as detailed by Jon. (Jon, got out my magnifying glass and saw that.) Would enjoy finding something like that and cutting it down.

View attachment 43285

NOTE: It is entirely possible that along with the name change, the grate design changed as well.
One would hope so, given that the price has gone up to $75. Pretty sure Bruce said it was similar to the bbqparts specs but your review states the bars are 7 mm and the bbqparts claims to be 5/16 which is a hair shy of 8 mm. 7.9375 according to google.

One would hope so, given that the price has gone up to $75. Pretty sure Bruce said it was similar to the bbqparts specs but your review states the bars are 7 mm and the bbqparts claims to be 5/16 which is a hair shy of 8 mm. 7.9375 according to google.

The BBQParts.com ones are ~8mm. The DCHome ones were only 7mm. Not sure if they are better now. The ad in Amazon doesn’t say, but an answered question claims they are 8mm. Hmmm.

The BBQParts.com ones are ~8mm. The DCHome ones were only 7mm. Not sure if they are better now. The ad in Amazon doesn’t say, but an answered question claims they are 8mm. Hmmm.
Yes, I read that too. The good news is, as Bruce said, they are returnable. But I don't like ordering things unless I'm quite sure I'll want it as returns cause a lot of greenhouse gas emissions. I'll return something if warranted but I don't order anything with an intent to try it and a cavelier attitude around sending it back.

Good choice on the bbqparts.com grate. I believe they will serve you well. If I didn't get the ones from Dave S. then that would have been my next choice.

Good choice on the bbqparts.com grate. I believe they will serve you well. If I didn't get the ones from Dave S. then that would have been my next choice.
Thanks Sam. Too bad Dave's not making them. There are some still listed on ebay but at $160 plus $20 shipping plus tax, we're getting into rather exclusive territory. Not that $200 is a huge sum in the big picture. But at some point, one has to consider the issue of diminishing returns. For me it's a guessing game, given that I'm new to this hobby (or aspiration or way of life -- somehow hobby doesn't seem to capture it). Might be better to call it an art, science and aspiration.

Roy that Silver one was @Sam Bee

Last edited:

Back