My 2005 Genesis Platinum

The cabinet has some small rust spots and the Burner Lid has been burned. Priced the Burner Lid for $27.00 at weber and it is available.

Going to put a Genesis 1000 Lid on her. I have 3 colors to choose from Red, Green or Black.
Also going put the Grill Out light on her.

It might pop right on, but weber used different badges and different mounting holes for some of their grills. That's the bad news
The good news is that you simply cut/grind off the mounting posts on any badge and stick it on with Red RTV high temp silicone anywhere you want it.

That is a great find, I missed a couple of these as they go fast once listed. I can not wait to see this one when you finish it. Congrats.

This is the Lid for the Burner. I could use another. I will have to find one used or get a new one.

Platinum Burner LId.jpg

How deep does the discolration penetrate? Possible to sand it out?
Is that possible. It is burnt on both sides as you can see from the 2 pics previously posted. The lid was left down with the burner on. Has anyone been successful doing this.

You'd have to get some kind of finish on that steel to replicate fresh stainless sheet. I'm not sure how that would be done. Another thing to consider would be using some high heat paint and maybe matching some other parts your are painting in color. But I would definitely scrub it up first, since even if you do paint it you have to do the hard part first anyway (prep). Then, if you don't like the finish in stainless, you can always paint it.

Is this a keeper or a flip?

$27 is not bad for a new one. However, before I shell that out, I would try a couple things. First, try a green scrubby with some barkeepers friend cleanser. After that, you could get aggressive with sanding it. Finish with a very find grade and it might come out pretty good. Last resort, you can always shell out the $27.

Nice score! From the pics the cabinet still looks good. If I were to keep it I'd clean up the rust and respray the whole cabinet with some kind of rust preventor/inhibitor or even repaint it with rustoleum high heat in gray, not sure if it'll be the exact same color but at least it'll be protected for some time.

Why not mitigate the rust and then use clear coat to seal? If the rust is only in the cabinet I would think it’s only in relatively unseen places where there are non stainless parts like brackets or couplers.

Back