My 2005 Genesis Platinum

Wow, that looks great! It even looks like if you did it again, it might get even better ...

Is it ok to use #0000 Fine Steel Wool on the bottom lip edge of the lid. I am not sure if that is debris or the paint is coming off?

Green Head Platinum pic 2.jpg

Last edited:
That pretty green color is not paint. That is porcelain, much like glass. It would be difficult to damage it with #0000 steel wool. That looks like gunk to me. Just spray it with a good cleaner like Simple green or even grill cleaner and let it set a few minutes and then hit it with the #0000 steel wool. Unless that is damage to the porcelain itself, it should clean up pretty easily.

Thanks Bruce, that Technique of Simple Green and #0000 Super Fine Steel Wool worked nicely.

The inside was pretty caked with grease also but I think I am going to have to use a scraper and Simple Green Grill Cleaner for that part.

Green Head Platinum Cleaned.jpg

#0000.jpgSimple Green 32 oz..jpg

Last edited:
The Lid I picked up on an even swap of Lids with someone on Facebook Marketplace. I gave him a Maroon one.

Platinum Green Head pic 2.jpg
Green Head Platinum pic 3.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good. I use a blue lid on my Platinum. And since the new lid has black side panels I also replaced of the grey pieces such as the control panel with a black one. I was never a fan of that weird grey color from Weber. The tables are from a Summit.

Attachments

• E6B30E3A-0462-40C7-A6C8-43A39204E431.jpeg
    E6B30E3A-0462-40C7-A6C8-43A39204E431.jpeg
    231.5 KB · Views: 23
Yes @Stefan H it was your grill in this pic, that inspired me to add a Grill Out Handle Light also. I have one just have not put it on yet.

Platinum Blue pic 1.jpg

Platinum Blue pic 2.jpg

Last edited:
To mix and match parts from these older Genesis over a period of many years is what I really liked about these grills. This made recycling easy and left plenty of room for customization.

Added a #9057 Grill Out Handle Light, Stamped Stainless Steel #65619 Weber Grill Grates, and a SS #7513 Warming Rack.

Platinum Grill Out Light.jpg
20210711_Grill Out Handle Light pic 1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Bruce for the advice on cleaning the inside and outside of the Grill Lid.

This video you made was dead on accurate and helpful for the inside also.

Last edited:
Bruce do you know if the Weber Platinum emblem will fit on the Gen 1000 lid?
Most any emblem will fit on any lid if you are willing to cut off the studs and stick the emblem back on with some High Temp Red RTV.

This emblem posts did not match the lid but it certainly fits after a little modification.

20210711 Silver B Green Head Black Out 2 (2).JPG

That looks Awesome Bruce! After I sanded the OEM one on the Green Head I put on my Platinum I really liked how the Silver popped. I do not think I will paint the kettle red though for I like the silver against the Platinum frame. I will keep your post in mind though, if I change my mind. I like the pic you posted it is pretty Sweet.

Last edited:
Hmmm, is that kettle red? I didn't paint it. It must be OEM or someone else did it.

Hmmm, is that kettle red? I didn't paint it. It must be OEM or someone else did it.
No, I was just referring to other mods I have seen where they painted the kettle red. Sorry I confused you. I should have explained myself in more detail

Last edited:
No. No big deal. Confusion comes with being colorblind and old. Just something to deal with. haha
The red kettles on the badges is cool, but I just don't have the patience for a basic rehab/flip grill. I would do it for a personal grill though.

Back