HOW TO: Clean The Outside Of A Weber Genesis Gas Grill Lid

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
WHAT: This is a How To on cleaning the outside of a Weber Genesis gas grill lid

WHY: To remove built-up grease and grime, returning the porcelain enamel surface to its original shine. Note that this cleaning process does not remove white spot fading that sometimes develops in the porcelain finish over time.

WHAT YOU NEED:
  • A damp cloth
  • #0000 Steel Wool
  • Cleaner like Simple Green or Formula 409
WARNING:

Do not use green Scotch Brite pads or other abrasive scrubbers or cleaning products on the lid. Weber lids are coated with a porcelain enamel finish, which is essentially a colored glass finish. #0000 steel wool and non-abrasive cleaners will not hurt the finish. Even a razor blade scraper can be used on porcelain enamel without damaging the finish.

---

A popular technique for cleaning exterior porcelain enamel on Weber grills, both gas and charcoal, is to use super-fine 0000 steel wool and a degreasing spray like Simple Green or Formula 409. You can use this technique to occasionally deep-clean your grill or to restore an old grill to like-new condition.

Here are the steps:
  1. Use a damp cloth to remove any surface dirt.
  2. Spray cleaner generously on the surface. Using a circular motion, scrub gently with super-fine 0000 steel wool to remove grease build-up. Apply more cleaner if it begins to evaporate.
  3. Wipe away residue with a damp cloth and check your work. Repeat Step 2 if some areas are still dirty.
  4. Wipe the surface several times with a clean damp cloth and dry with a soft towel to remove streaks.

img_2434-1024.jpg

img_2440-1024.jpg

img_2436-1024.jpg

img_2441-1024.jpg

Thanks to countless members who have shared this technique here on the forum.

Source: The Virtual Weber Gas Grill

Last edited:
Chris, I didn't really understand your HOW TO. I have about 15 lids here at my house that need cleaning like that. Would you be willing to stop by and show me how that works? I figure by the 12th or 13th one, I should have the hang of it well enough to do the last one or two.
t0sG1c6.jpg

Seriously though, I appreciate you taking the time to do that. We now can point a newby to that when they come into the forum asking that very question.

Used this technique today on my 2008 Genesis E-310, worked a treat!

Any recommendations on how to get my cabinet doors as shiny?

Used this technique today on my 2008 Genesis E-310, worked a treat!

Any recommendations on how to get my cabinet doors as shiny?

Are they stainless or painted? If stainless, you can be slightly more aggressive and use a non-steel pad (steel can leave behind fragments that will rust) and Bar Keepers Friend. Not everyone agrees with the latter, but I have had good success with it. Just be super careful to always rub in the direction of the grain.

B682E529-0F06-4950-8FDD-410180450427.jpeg

If your cabinets are painted, you need to exercise care and use something like Simple Green and microfiber rags.

Back