Genesis Platinum C

Yeah, definitely don't throw it away. Someone will make use of it.

If they don't have the right one, no worries. Creating a bottom was easy. If you're hiding it inside a cabinet, would be super easy. The biggest challenge was just drilling through stainless.

Ok, separate post. I need help.

Went out to lube the sticky valve and install the new igniter and I ran into this. The lock nut wouldn't budge. Was turning counter clockwise, as one would expect. Just for the heck of it, applied a bit of pressure in the other direction but still nothing. I don't want to break it. Has anyone had this problem (silly question, of course you have). How did you address it?
IMG_20220206_150412.jpgIMG_20220206_150416.jpgIMG_20220206_150424.jpg

That looks like some serious rust there around the valve. It likely is the cause of the stuck nut. I have removed them before and don't remember them being reverse threaded. I would soak it several times over a couple days with a good penetrating oil and then find a good 6 point socket and get after it.

That looks like some serious rust there around the valve. It likely is the cause of the stuck nut. I have removed them before and don't remember them being reverse threaded. I would soak it several times over a couple days with a good penetrating oil and then find a good 6 point socket and get after it.
Thank you, Bruce. Ah well, so much for getting this "simple repair" done today.

For what it's worth, I see plenty of dirt but no rust. Let me know if you see something different. Either way, your advice seems well taken.

Yah, clean away the dirt and see what you got under it. I just figured that was rust that you could not easily remove or you would have done so. LOL

I had problems getting a burner valve off. I took the side burner completely off. Had to hold the valve with a wrench on the underside while I turned the lock nut on the top if I remember correctly.

Just a note if you clean any part of the grill using #0000 steel wool do not use the same rag to wipe the stainless steel. I cleaned the inside of my porcelain lid with #0000 steel wool and wiped it with a paper towel and then stupid me I wiped my stainless steel shelves with the same towel and scratched them.

Just a note if you clean any part of the grill using #0000 steel wool do not use the same rag to wipe the stainless steel. I cleaned the inside of my porcelain lid with #0000 steel wool and wiped it with a paper towel and then stupid me I wiped my stainless steel shelves with the same towel and scratched them.
Not just that, but the ferric particles will cause surface rust stains. One reason not to use a regular steel brush on stainless cooking grates.

Bill is right. Never use steel wool on stainless steel. It WILL leave behind tiny particles that WILL rust and make your pretty stainless looks like crap.

Bill is right. Never use steel wool on stainless steel. It WILL leave behind tiny particles that WILL rust and make your pretty stainless looks like crap.
And never even think about using it on a boat. Ask me how I know....

Oh my, that's too irresistible to pass up. Please sir, do tell . . .
I decided to clean up all my stanchions and fittings with steel wool. They came out very nice. Then within a week I had rust specs all over the fiberglass deck. I am like ***? Took me a while to figure out what happened, and a lot of Wink Rust Remover to scrub my whole boat! Took me about 2 weeks and repeated applications to get all the rust stains off.

Damn I did not know that about steel wool and stainless steel. Thanks guys. I will check for rust this afternoon. Will I still be alright cleaning my porcelain lid though or should not risk that anymore?

Green Head Platinum Cleaned.jpg

I think the difference is that the porcelain hoods are so slick that no residue from the steel wool pads will be left behind. So, the big thing on those stainless shelves (where the slight texture CAN hide fine metal dust) is to clean, clean like crazy!

Back