Genesis Platinum C

Hey, one more thing. This is exciting. Bruce has offered to sell me the blue lid at a very fair price. The shipping cost sucks but I'm inclined to go with it unless they're outrageous, as I think it will provide the finishing touch I'm looking for. Big thank you to Bruce! Really all of you guys have been awesome.

20220129_144012.jpg

That is coming along great. The only small issue I see is that it looks like the tank bumpers are a bit close together and I am afraid if you move the grill around, the tank might want to roll to either side of them. I think they are normally 3-4 inches apart. Otherwise that grill is going to last you forever.

That is coming along great. The only small issue I see is that it looks like the tank bumpers are a bit close together and I am afraid if you move the grill around, the tank might want to roll to either side of them. I think they are normally 3-4 inches apart. Otherwise that grill is going to last you forever.
Oops! Ah well, if I want to fix it I'll have to invest in another slice of stainless steel. Plus the time it takes to drill those infernal holes. But it's the easy part, the drill press part. And I've gotten damn good at sharpening bits. Thanks Bruce.

It is there to ensure you don't put a propane tank inside the cabinet. You can take it out and throw it away. No harm, no foul.

I decided to break into my Platinum C today. Since my side and end panels are in good condition, I’m installing a new OEM base. As I was stripping it down, I came across the rusty piece of bent steel shown in the images. Weber calls it a “tank blocker assembly”. I’ve never seen it on a grill before and am wondering what it is supposed to do. Any thoughts?
View attachment 44947
Hi Tom,

That is designed to keep you from mounting the tank inside the cabinet

5264308B-9EE1-4863-8E34-7A2560557F4B.jpegThanks, guys. I was overthinking this way too much. I had almost convinced myself it was some sort of cantilever for balance or a backplate type stabilizer. I guess I might as well share some progress pics to try to redeem myself.

AEEAB587-50C4-43A1-92AC-3B45EA71507D.jpeg978D32E6-2DBD-4900-8FBE-9417EF57B2F9.jpegDDAC0D75-7261-497A-8DFF-143B162F41EA.jpeg

I'll post a couple of photos on how my Platinum is coming along. Haven't cleaned it yet. Also plan to change the hood. But it's progressing nicely. Plan to do some more work today. Here's the bottom deck, constructed from two stainless angle irons and the Fiberon boards I've been talking about.

Took the advice provided here on not bothering to attach the boards to the angle irons with screws. They seem plenty heavy to not go anywhere and this way, if I ever move the grill, it's that much less weight since they can be moved separately without any major disassembly.

Decided not to move the tank bumpers to space them as originally spaced. Moved the cart around to test and the tank doesn't fall to either side. I like the way this looks and it works fine.
IMG_20220206_120208.jpgIMG_20220206_120217.jpg

Last edited:
I'll post a couple of photos on how my Platinum is coming along. Haven't cleaned it yet. Also plan to change the hood. But it's progressing nicely. Plan to do some more work today. Here's the bottom deck, constructed from two stainless angle irons and the Fiberon boards I've been talking about.

Took the advice provided here on not bothering to attach the boards to the angle irons with screws. They seem plenty heavy to not go anywhere and this way, if I ever move the grill, it's that much less weight since they can be moved separately without any major disassembly.

Decided not to move the tank bumpers to space them as originally spaced. Moved the cart around to test and the tank doesn't fall to either side. I like the way this looks and it works fine.
View attachment 44969View attachment 44968
Nice work, it looks great! I also think the stainless lid looks good on that grill, but a colored one would look good too. I can't wait to see it all shined up!

Well, things just took an awkward turn. I just went back out to the shop to begin installing the new bottom panel. When I opened the box, I was greeted by this. Anyone else seeing a problem here? Thankfully, this was not my error but it has certainly ground progress to a halt for the immediate future.

Attachments

• 694C3B7B-32AF-4659-952A-00754ECBCB9F.jpeg
    694C3B7B-32AF-4659-952A-00754ECBCB9F.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 12
it looks like they sent you the bottom panel for an E3xx grill. But, my question is, Why do you need a new bottom if you already fabbed one in.

it looks like they sent you the bottom panel for an E3xx grill. But, my question is, Why do you need a new bottom if you already fabbed one in.
The panel they sent is for a Summit. I did not fab a panel. I am replacing with a new OEM since my sides and back panel are in surprisingly good condition.

@TomRc , from your pictures it looked like at least one of the side panels was rusted out also. I'm glad they aren't, also disappointed they sent you the wrong bottom panel.

@TomRc , from your pictures it looked like at least one of the side panels was rusted out also. I'm glad they aren't, also disappointed they sent you the wrong bottom panel.
On the bright side, they’re shipping the correct one at no charge and letting me field scrap this one. Too bad I don’t have a Summit out in the boneyard.

On the bright side, they’re shipping the correct one at no charge and letting me field scrap this one. Too bad I don’t have a Summit out in the boneyard.
Tom, I was under the impression that the floor pan for Genesis B or C’s were discontinued long ago. I had a customer order one for a Genesis B and get a newer incompatible Spirit pan.

Please let us know if everything works out.

The panel they sent is for a Summit. I did not fab a panel. I am replacing with a new OEM since my sides and back panel are in surprisingly good condition.
OK, I was looking at the photos of Roy's grill.

Back