Genesis Platinum C

Contact him and offer $25. He will probably counter, but he is probably ready to just get rid of it at this point.
I was interested until I found out where he was. It would cost me $30 in gas just to go get it so I passed on it previously. Maybe if it goes for Free I might.

I was interested until I found out where he was. It would cost me $30 in gas just to go get it so I passed on it previously. Maybe if it goes for Free I might.
Samuel, do you have a problem with rust in TX? Or is it just the look of this model? I'm missing something here.

Samuel, do you have a problem with rust in TX? Or is it just the look of this model? I'm missing something here.
Stuff rust here but not as much as up north. I am just tight on funds at the moment. It is not the Grill it is me and my budget and plus I have 1 Platinum C already. I am currently just trying to build up my Collection.

Now that you have registered. You will see a picture of the grill you entered. Click on view. At the bottom of the viewed list is the link for diagram of replacement parts. Look for the part on that diagram.

View attachment 43837
Problem is they list three different igniters. None of them make it clear they're for the Platinum.

Yeah, was just talking to the rep at Weber. That is the part but he said I should be able to use the cheaper one, the 7510, and splice the wire from the side burner in (as long as the igniter on the side burner is still good). It's really helpful to be able to talk to someone and I must say their customer service is excellent. That's one thing they've managed to maintain in these bottom-line focused times.

Splicing can be a solution but that just opens a possible failure point in the long run.
True. The smart thing to do might be just use the cheaper part and light the side burner by hand because, frankly, I'm never gonna use it. Just can't see myself making fondue on the grill (or anywhere else for that matter).

You could remove the side burner and replace it with a Thermoset table. But, yah, lighting the side burner via match is also a good work around.

I'd say don't put an ignitor on the side burner, mostly because of your comment about not likely using it. My grill was a 3000 first, and I replaced the missing stainless lid for the side burner and everything. I had the side burner on for about two years and never used it one time, so I took it off and made another side table, therefore I now have a 2000. I like it a lot better, if I want to put a beverage down and not let it heat up, I use that right hand side table because it is further from the firebox. I also don't have flip up tables because with the two side tables I just don't need them.

Long winded way to suggest that if you think you won't use the side burner you probably won't. I completely fixed up that 3000 because I was excited and so spent a few steaks' worth on the side burner when in the end it is in a milk crate in my basement now. My Weberitis was full fledged when I got the 3000, high grill acquisition rates coupled with part purchases, various scrubs of fire boxes, wood slat adventures and everything. I was infected pretty badly with the Weberitis. We have it to the point where I'm living with the disease now. Occasionally I'll have a flareup, like that recent 1000 I did for a family friend, but those pop up rarely, and once the projects are isolated and taken care of I can keep it under control for a while. I don't think there is a cure, but it is manageable at this point. Rotisserie chicken and pizza have taken a lot of my focus away from flavorizer bars and emblem painting lately, and I'm pretty sure these things were made to cook with!

By the way, I know what the word parallax means. Why is that part of your user name just out of curiosity?

I never used the side burner on my big Skyline. Like THyde experienced, my Weberitis was totally out of control when I built that grill. I wound up spending a lot to buy a brand-new side burner. Looked cool, especially with the black knob update, but it turned out to be useless to me. I was in Florida then, so I figured it was something to cook/boil stuff on if we had a hurricane induced extended power outage. Thankfully, that didn't happen. I sold this grill to my boss in Florida.

IMG_0376.jpg

When I had a Platinum, mine was the "B" and just had a side table on the right. I agree with TYyde about the side shelves, except that I personally really liked the flip-up tables, too. I think the set-up with flip-ups on both sided and top tables on both sides gives you the best amount of useable/adaptable room any Weber has. The 300 series and subsequent models, with just a fixed stainless shelf or even shelves on both sides, can't compare in my experience.

IMG_3855(1).jpg

I agree Jon. I thought I was going to miss the smaller footprint of my Genesis 1000, but the massive extra shelf space is ohhhh so nice on my SS Platinum deep box franken grill.

Jon, I remember that Skyline build I think I sent you a stainless axle for that! I remember you were almost incapacitated with Weberitis back then!

Regarding the side tables, side burner, flip up table etc. I again will say how much I like the design, adaptability and parts interchangeability of that early "thousand" line of grills. I just don't use flip out tables or a side burner, so I can delete them and put the grill together the way I like to use it. Jon, for example, likes the flip up tables and that's great. We all have our preferences, and again my personal opinion is that the thousands (1000, 2000 & 3000) were the best designed, most versatile and since they were so popular even now 25 and 35 years later we're still using them.

Those family friends I rehabbed that 1000 for are coming over for dinner, and I've got a london broil marinating. I'm going to show them the Meater later.

By the way, I know what the word parallax means. Why is that part of your user name just out of curiosity?
I've always been interested in different cultures and seeing the world through various lenses. When I've traveled, I feel myself begin to meld into the culture and, after a while, understand it from the inside. At those times, American culture begins to feel foreign, and I get a sense of what we seem like to others. Not exactly aligned with the name I chose for my online accounts but seemed to fit better than anything else I could think of.

I'm finding the tables and flip up tables more than I need. So no need for the side burner or so much counter space. A table on one side would be adequate. Add a flip up and it's overkill. So I'll just clean mine up real nice and leave everything in place. I will splice the igniter cable because why not.

Has anyone bitten the proverbial bullet and and laid out the $250-$275 I’m seeing out there for a new NOS bottom tray? I picked up this Platinum C the other day along with the brand new cook tub for $75. I have the luck (or misfortune, depending on how you look at things) of living in an area where a completed project like this would sell quite quickly at a $500 price point. I was originally going to just cannibalize it for parts for other projects. After a10C3B22C-7F22-4B45-BF6C-B2736D2A8F6F.jpeg3677E4F3-C948-43C6-9CED-25B30E1083AB.jpegfter having given it a thorough inspection, I’m now seriously leaning towards returning it to original with a correct OEM pan.

Last edited:
Has anyone bit the proverbial bullet and and laid out the $250-$275 I’m seeing out there for a new NOS bottom tray? I picked up this Platinum C the other day along with the brand new cook tub for $75. I have the luck (or misfortune, depending on how you look at things) of living in an area where a completed project like this would sell quite quickly at a $500 price point. I was originally going to just cannibalize it for parts for other projects. After aView attachment 43975View attachment 43976fter having given it a thorough inspection, I’m now seriously leaning towards returning it to original with a correct OEM pan.
You could rebuild the bottom for $40 to $80 and keep the cabinet.

Back