Genesis ll thoughts

Just to stir up more conversation, I took a look at the linked ad for BBQGuys.com for a black "Special Edition" Genesis II with 9mm stainless rod grates, 4th sear burner, a handle light and closed in cart. $999 with free shipping.

https://www.bbqguys.com/weber-grill...MIr-j4y8Dh4AIVFwuGCh1sfQglEAEYASADEgKJq_D_BwE

I will always prefer the classic Genesis grills, but I honestly don't feel that this price is outrageous (regardless of their profit margin). It is very sharp grill, although I would rather it had the open cart which I think you can get as an alternative. If you compare the $999 in real terms to early 90's pricing I think this grill is priced comparably. And back then you couldn't get a Genesis with grates that nice.

Again, for that money you could have a spectacularly restored classic Genesis with rcplanebuyer grates and flavorizers, add on handle-light, rotisserie and a whole bunch more, plus still have money leftover for lots of steaks and BBQ. But, for someone smitten with this grill's modern looks, I can understand why they would buy it for $999.

Stirring it up myself, so you need to factor in the grates, sear burner and whatever. In 1999 assuming you paid this and of course the world changed those grills did not have stainless grates until you went to the later gold or platinum's I guess and they were not 500 bucks.

In other words, $500 in 1999 is equivalent in purchasing power to $753.62 in 2018, a difference of $253.62 over 19 years. The 1999 inflation rate was 2.21%. The inflation rate in 2018 was 2.44%. The 2018 inflation rate is higher compared to the average inflation rate of 0.24% per year between 2018 and 2019.

Stirring it up myself, so you need to factor in the grates, sear burner and whatever. In 1999 assuming you paid this and of course the world changed those grills did not have stainless grates until you went to the later gold or platinum's I guess and they were not 500 bucks.

In other words, $500 in 1999 is equivalent in purchasing power to $753.62 in 2018, a difference of $253.62 over 19 years. The 1999 inflation rate was 2.21%. The inflation rate in 2018 was 2.44%. The 2018 inflation rate is higher compared to the average inflation rate of 0.24% per year between 2018 and 2019.

Yes the old genesis 1000s and the later genesis B are actually fairly equivalent to the basic genesis II e 310 that lists for $799.

Inflation is just a fact. $500 in 1990 is equivalent to $960 today.

It is a fact agree with you the real deals were those people who got those lowe's deals still trying to resell them but I can tell you in ATL a lot of them are gone. A six burner for what they got them at would have bought one myself and I love the old style. But never hurts to have a lot of real estate you don't have to use it all the time.

Yeah, I am not seeing any leftover 6-burners for sale anymore. I personally expect prices for those to rise a little over time. As a fairly short run item with the unique feature of being so large, it may go down as a "special" Weber, dare I say like the old Gold/Platinum grills on the original Summit frame?!! No, nowhere as well built but an unusual offering and way more practical than a huge Summit beast.

Last edited:
Those equations are just excuses to rip people off IMO

That could cut the other way, too. McDonalds could tell my son that he should get the same wage I got at the flower farm ($2.20 hr) back in 1977. They could say that the increases due to inflation were just a rip-off. If Weber had some kind of monopoly and had a gun to peoples' heads I suppose you could say their pricing might be "rip[ping] people off." Since there is plenty of competition it really comes down to people's perception of cost vs. value. It is clear you don't feel that Weber offers that at all. I think many others of us - while lamenting very much the loss of family ownership:george: to private equity:p - still feel that Weber's current offerings DO offer a decent value in comparison to the competition they have. I definitely agree they aren't built as well, despise the off-shoring and agree that some of their offerings such as the current Summit are bloated, over-featured monstrosities. That said, the newest 3 and 4 burner Genesis II's when equipped with 9mm stainless grates look really nice to me. Out of my price range, but still very nice. I have yet to see a competitor in that price range that has something I would want more if someone was buying me a new grill:).

I don't know how those equations are excuses to rip people off I know I make more money than I did in 1999. What did a basic car cost in 1999 compared to today's prices, how bout a house whether we like it or not nothing costs the same.

I am kind of like Jon I like the newer ones and to be honest although I wish I had it would have been a lot harder on my salary in 1999 to pay $500 for a Weber than to pay $799 today.

I don't know how those equations are excuses to rip people off I know I make more money than I did in 1999. What did a basic car cost in 1999 compared to today's prices, how bout a house whether we like it or not nothing costs the same.

I am kind of like Jon I like the newer ones and to be honest although I wish I had it would have been a lot harder on my salary in 1999 to pay $500 for a Weber than to pay $799 today.

Agree. If you look at prices in the 90s vs today pretty much everything is significantly more. Gas, groceries, cars, housing, etc. If the equations are just an excuse then it's a nation wide conspiracy and not just Weber.

I'm also like you in that $500 for a weber in the 90s would have been MUCH harder for me than the price of a new weber today. Still wish I had bought one back then.

In the 70’s and 80’s most gas grill models were Aluminium cast top and bottom. Only thing needed to change is burner and regulator. As long as the cart or frame still decent they lasted as long as Weber.
Unfortunately these days 95% of grills are thin sheet metal.
Newer Weber Genesis reminds me of Ikea. Average quality materials but good engineering. Long term remains to be seen if that makes up for it.

Last edited:
In the 70’s and 80’s most gas grill models were Aluminium cast top and bottom. Only thing needed to change is burner and regulator. As long as the cart or frame still decent they lasted as long as Weber.
Unfortunately these days 95% of grills are thin sheet metal.
Newer Weber Genesis reminds me of Ikea. Average quality materials but good engineering. Long term remains to be seen if that makes up for it.

I like that Ikea analogy. It is a trend that goes beyond Weber as it seems that many products today are more precisely and even more cleverly engineered - while at the same time made out of thinner, lighter and cheaper materials. Our maintenance guys tell me that the really old refrigerators were actually way more rock solid dependable. Today's are much more energy efficient, come with "theatre" lighting and all kinds of fancy doors, water/ice attachments and computer controls. Too bad they only last a few years:(.

The way most people look at grills, going in that direction may make a little bit of sense. Most owners don't want to bother with rebuilding or any serious overhauling. Truth be told, many don't even clean them at all. They have become accustomed to "use and replace." So, if a Weber extends that to 5 or 6 years vs. maybe 2 for ExpertCharNexgrill or whatever, perhaps that is an acceptable trade-off to people who don't get into grills the way we do here.

Hey guys, this thread has really gone off the rails...from Genesis II to debating inflation, the ozone layer, AOC, environmental policy, refrigerators that don't last. Come on...

I've deleted 13 replies. Let's keep the discussion focused and on-track.

Hey guys, this thread has really gone off the rails...from Genesis II to debating inflation, the ozone layer, AOC, environmental policy, refrigerators that don't last. Come on...

I've deleted 13 replies. Let's keep the discussion focused and on-track.

Chris,

My apologies for letting things get off track.

Jon

I agree. You can find a good Genesis 1000 or Silver B for $50 pretty easily if you are willing to look and wait a little bit. Clean it up, do some repainting, fixing and replace all the internals (Grates, flavorizer bars and burners) with some good stainless steel replacements and you can have a great cooking, grilling, rotisserie grill for about $200 that should last you another 20 years.

Otherwise, keep your eyes open for a last year's model on clearance: I know this is an E410 for $779.00, but it shows you might be able to find a good deal on a new grill.

BBcRIgO.jpg

I'm proud to say I got that same grill (E-410 Crimson) clearance-priced at HD for $699 last Fall. (I
actually saw a 610 a few weeks later for $699!) In Feb. 2019, I picked up an iGrill3 on clearance at HD for $25.

Tom,
Welcome to our forum. I really like the way that four burner style grill looks, and in crimson it is top drawer. I recent saw an ad for the newest model 325 open cart in crimson with sear burner and 9mm stainless grates. Also really nice.

If you spend time here you will quickly see that many of us are proponents of restoring old “classic” Genesis grills. Not too many with experience with the newest ones, even though their merits and demerits are bantered about a lot.

Could you give us an honest assessment of how you like your Genesis II and maybe compare to other grills you have used?

I personally have little doubt about the longevity of the Gen II grills. Weber is known for making reliable grills and has done so for many years. I doubt that they would sacrifice their quality reputation. Looking at the Gen II grills along side of the generic grills I can see a big difference in the quality of the Gen II over the lower priced grills.
The only reason I wouldn't buy one is I have eleven grills/smokers now and of course the N/S burners, I much prefer the E/W design, but that's just me.

I have the Genesis 310 II but have not used it yet. I replaced all the screws on it with SS there are about 22 to 26 screws. By the way I got the 1/2 screws bags from Menards. There are lots and lots of screws ALL over the place, back, front, sides, burners, frames, etc. I suggest replacing all these, if not in 10 years they will all be rusted in oblivion. Bunch of them are under the cover pain to get to.
Problem is the screws that hold down the burners I cannot find any SS screws that size. These need to be 1/4 long but cant find them. I found 1/2 but they are too long they don’t hold down the burner.
100% quarantee that in 5 to 10 years the screws will rust and one Will HAVE to cut the tab that holds the burner.
So I am not using it until I find the screws.

Last edited:
Chris,

That is a really sound strategy that others here with the new Genesis II should take note of.

I have the Genesis 310 II but have not used it yet. I replaced all the screws on it with SS there are about 22 to 26 screws. By the way I got the 1/2 screws bags from Menards. There are lots and lots of screws ALL over the place, back, front, sides, burners, frames, etc. I suggest replacing all these, if not in 10 years they will all be rusted in oblivion. Bunch of them are under the cover pain to get to.
Problem is the screws that hold down the burners I cannot find any SS screws that size. These need to be 1/4 long but cant find them. I found 1/2 but they are too long they don’t hold down the burner.
100% quarantee that in 5 to 10 years the screws will rust and one Will HAVE to cut the tab that holds the burner.
So I am not using it until I find the screws.

Check with places like Fastenal and Bolt Depot for the hard to find SS screws.

Back