Genesis ll thoughts

I think weber grills still very much make sense from an economic and environmental sense for frequent grillers. The cheaper $300 grills typically wear out in about 1 to 2 years for frequent grillers. The sheet metal firebox just won't last more than a couple of years before burning through. Sometimes as short as one year (happened to me a couple of times). I'm of the opinion a weber genesis with frequent use will last at least 10 years. I think that could be longer but we'll say 10. Over 10 years that's at least $1500 as opposed to $700 (3 burner non stainless genesis II).

From an environmental sense with the cheapos you are dumping a grill in a landfill every couple of years. Not so with a better grill. I know the environmental aspect isn't important to everyone but it is to some people including me.

I'm not just advocating for weber. I think the same above economics apply to all the better made grills like weber, broil king, Napoleon, etc vs the standard cheaper big box grills.

The caveat is that for a guy or family that grills a few times a year the better made grills probably isn't worth the additional cost.

Honestly for all the looking I have done at the Chinese stuff I don't see the big differences you folks all talk about. Yeah the cast fire box but IMO it's not worth $500 or more in cost difference. In the 10 year "warranty period" of the Genesis (which given the fast design changes and so on I doubt will be of much use like the warranty on my Summit not worth the paper it's printed on) as they (Weber) will always find a way out if they don't want to support the model anymore. So in 10 years I could buy 2 or 3 NEW grills and still be money ahead. Face it. Weber is not the same benevolent company you all believe them to be anymore :(

I don’t believe for one minute that Weber is any longer the company that they were when George Stephens was at the helm. Private equity :p would never operate that way. (One last plug for Rec Tec because I do think THEY ARE that kind of company today, and I hope they stay that way.)

My points are only that (1) Weber is no worse than any other company that outsources and (2) in that level of competition their grills seem - at least to me - to be better made and way more stylish. Whether they are worth the extra price I think depends on your financial situation and, as Greg has said, what kind of user you are.

I just don’t agree that there is “no difference” between a new Weber and the lesser brands I mentioned earlier or that Broil King (or Napoleon) - who both make very good grills - can be had for half the price of a Weber.

I would challenge anyone to do the comparison I posted above and tell us which grill is better for the same $999.

Last edited:
I saw a spirit 2 burner on clearance today for $279. I would take that over any chinese throw away, even if it was cheaper.

Gander Outdoors. Used to be Gander Mountain but they went Bankrupt.

w9Fic48.jpg

I like and hate that grill at the same time. I have only positive thoughts when I think about my natural gas 2000 sitting right outside in the cold. The new ones bother me. Ignitors, cheap construction, unknown longevity. Stainless bling for no functional reason. You kids and your fancy crap!

I guess I'm old.

Go listen to your crazy music you kids!!!

I'll just sit back and enjoy my rotisserie.

Maybe put on some blues.

Please re-read my thoughts. I didn't say "no difference" I said I don't think the slight difference(s) mostly the cast fire box are worth up to 3x the cost. Given they've sold their souls tot he Chinese for corporate greed they could still have at ;east TWICE the profit margin and cut the retail price by 50%. If the retail on say a 3 burner Gen II 310 was $500 I would still be a fan. But at close to $1000...........................not a chance. I'll buy from Costco or Sam's get a lifetime satisfaction guarantee, save the receipt and return/exchange it as needed.

Yeah a coastal salt air environment is totally different in regards to rust and corrosion.

This is precisely what I deal with as our beach house is in Avalon NJ and my 2013 Spirit S-210 sits exactly 50 yards from the bay on a second story deck. Wind driven rain, high, salt air humidity, North facing exposure. I struggled with buying a new grill or restoring the Spirit. I have owned many grills in the past incl the Kirkland Nexgrill beast with an oven that was 100% 304 SS. That was not at our beach house though and was propane, not NG which is a requirement on a second story deck. Propane or any other fuel type on second story is prohibited by local fire code. I have looked at the new Spirits. They are well designed but are definitely lighter weight. The entry level Genesis I am looking at is the most solid of the NG offerings that are readily available... ie... big box stores or Ace or Craigslist. Also, while buying an American made product would be ideal, actually doing so is simply idealistic. Is it not total hypocrisy to claim Weber has moved manufacturing offshore and yet swear to only buying and driving a Toyota or Honda? While they may be assembled in the US, they are foreign corporations. So that is a minimal part of the equation in my opinion.

For now, my plan is both. I'm restoring the Spirit and have my eye out for a decent deal on something new.

Larry no offense but I don't think anyone mis read your posts at all. A number of us just feel the new webers while expensive ARE worth the price difference compared to the other grills out there. You don't and that's fine.

While one could argue that the newer open cart design is cost cutting... and it may very well be, it appears far more durable and weather resistant than the closed cart design of painted sheet steel. The latter was a a rust buck waiting to happen.

While one could argue that the newer open cart design is cost cutting... and it may very well be, it appears far more durable and weather resistant than the closed cart design of painted sheet steel. The latter was a a rust buck waiting to happen.

I totally agree. I think that cart is a huge improvement. It looks thick and sturdy (like the old genesis 1000 cart) and is finished well. It's not rust proof obviously but I'll bet it's going to prove very durable.

Dale i am in GA also. The Silver B are around may take a couple of months to find one. The 1000 took me two years to find one. There is Genesis II on on CL for $575 new maybe you can talk down.

I found a silver c last week in Cumming and bought it. I had to buy a few parts (front casters, bottom rack$$$, and catch pan holder) but I'm still looking.

Just bought a Genesis ll e310 for $200 from Walmart. Even though I have recently purchased the silver c, I just couldn't pass this up.

Wow $200! That's crazy. I've not ever seen or known of weber grills to be discounted their grills as much as they have been recently.

Wow $200! That's crazy. I've not ever seen or known of weber grills to be discounted their grills as much as they have been recently.

It happens...I got my Genesis II E-310 for $169 when the Walmart in my area was clearing them out.

Back