Genesis caster upgrade at less than half the price

Here are the casters close up, 3” wheel diameter, 2” from center of axle to top of bearing. I did not want nor need brakes as 99% of my grill operation is on ground. Steel is zinc plated.

Attachments

• DFE23E27-5156-45EF-9771-07BB5048FB21.jpeg
    DFE23E27-5156-45EF-9771-07BB5048FB21.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 9
They look nice. I think I might try to clear coat the metal to delay the inevitable rust, zinc notwithstanding. A stainless version would be really nice but would no longer be half the price!

Caster Part # P12S-R040D-SG1 link: Caster
Brake kits Part # P-WB12 040X125 link: Brake kits
(Zoro gives out a 15% discount for registering. Zoro is Grainger's online shop)
I selected rubber wheels, because it’s quiet and smooth rolling. For a couple more bucks you can get polyolefin which has a higher load rating and may last longer. Be sure to order P12 series though, to accept compatible brakes
The stem on these was slightly longer than the originals (by approx.. 1/8”) than the OEM, so I corrected that difference by adding a rubber washer atop the swivel – 2” dia. X 1/8” thick with ½” hole, available at Lowes. They fit like a glove in the existing plastic leg inserts. I simply popped the old casters out and inserted the new ones in.
Thanks for the parts info! I just put them on my grill, didn’t get the brakes though. My wheels were shot. What a difference!

3A46BC42-61D5-4152-89C3-51A845388E4B.jpeg
2562000C-2B92-4170-8A28-CC5A929F6D54.jpeg

Glad to help DuaneM. Looks good! (As it turns out, I rarely use the brakes - only when temporarily parking my grill on sloping concrete). And on Jon's comment regarding rust/corrosion protection, perhaps a good idea. Though, mine are going on two years outside in the gulf coast weather and show no sign of deterioration.

I don't like those wheels they look to cool for a grill😂😂 I'm a purest😂😂. I don't have that issue on my summit but they were only new once when I installed the original replacements and they already look crappy and worn. In hindsight I would have replaced them with those exact ones because I think they use plastic to deter the exact same reason you upgraded. 👍🏾. Excellent find and great share.

Thought I'd share the finished product on my restoration with upgraded wheels if anyone was interested. Total cost of $40 (including $9 shipping).

My specific order was:
4 - Heavy Duty Caster Socket for 1.152" ID Square Tube
2 - 4" x 1-1/4" Plastic Wheel Swivel Caster with 7/16" x 1-3/8" Grip Ring Stem
2 - 4" x 1-1/4" Plastic Wheel Swivel Caster with 7/16" x 1-3/8" Grip Ring Stem with Tread Brake
Any chance you have the SKU's for these wheels?

Back