Genesis caster upgrade at less than half the price

No, it's definitely going to me more like 1".

There's (for easy math) a 1/2" gap between the top of the wheel and the base of the caster. So for a 4" wheel, the distance from the bottom of he wheel to the caster base is 4.5"

For a 5" wheel , the "arm" of the caster is about 1/2" longer, to maintain the 1/2" gap between the wheel and the case of the caster. So for a 5" wheel, the distance from the bottom of he wheel to the caster base is 5.5"

Look at this page, and look at the 4th column for "MOUNT HT.". The difference between a 4" and 5" caster is an inch.
Ur right!

Has anyone found a place that sells new inserts that fit within the tube or happen to know the measurements? I found these and they look like they should be the right size.

I don't know for sure, but my guess is that those would fit. The tubes are 1 1/4" OD, so 1.152" ID seems right.

Ditto Bruce's comment,.. and great find. For $4, I would get these if my inserts fail. Seems they would fit. Although I did not measure the corner column/leg inside dimensions, my experience tells me that manufacturers use standard dimensions for design to source components, and Weber is probably no different. On the remote chance they do not fit, it appears to be nothing that a little grinding or shimming wouldn't fix. I might just buy them as a backup.

I had the same initial concern, but am comfortable with the retrofit. In my engineering judgement, the main stress is due to the horizontal offset distance between the stem and wheel axle, which puts a bending stress on the leg and insert. In this case, that offset is about the same as the OEM, approx 1”. I am certain the frame is up to the task by design. If the plastic inserts ever give out, I’ll replace them or figure out a better way to mount them, but so far so good. And, the new casters reduce the momentary stress when rolling over rough surfaces.
BTW, the installed brakes prevent it from rolling, i.e. locking the wheel.
I understand the locking wheel, that is why I mention. The difference I was pointing out is that the standard stock wheels, on mine at least, roll so poorly that there is little worry of runaway.the offset is fine. I was worried about the extra torsion or shear from the longer or higher dimension. But that may be overshadowed by the lower force on small bumps...

Last edited:
I understand the locking wheel, that is why I mention. The difference I was pointing out is that the standard stock wheels, on mine at least, roll so poorly that there is little worry of runaway.the offset is fine. I was worried about the extra tirsion ir shear from the longer or higher dimension. But that may be overshadowed by the lower force on small bumps...
Yep, agree. The additional height does introduce a bit more stress. There is slightly more horizontal flex ( I.e if you push the grill side-to-side with the wheels locked), but it is barely perceptible. And I believe as you say, outweighed by the benefit of better rolling. As mentioned, though, as a mild suggestion, I wouldn't go with much greater than 4" wheels.

I am looking to do the same on my E-435. Really prefer to have someone fabricate a socket that will go a few inches into the end of the frame. Weber just sent me some replacement casters (#67067), instructions show the Caster Insert but they are not in the box. Anyone know of someone in Chicago area that can fabricate for me ?

Thought I'd share the finished product on my restoration with upgraded wheels if anyone was interested. Total cost of $40 (including $9 shipping).

My specific order was:
4 - Heavy Duty Caster Socket for 1.152" ID Square Tube
2 - 4" x 1-1/4" Plastic Wheel Swivel Caster with 7/16" x 1-3/8" Grip Ring Stem
2 - 4" x 1-1/4" Plastic Wheel Swivel Caster with 7/16" x 1-3/8" Grip Ring Stem with Tread Brake

Attachments

• IMG_6874.jpg
    IMG_6874.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6877.jpg
    IMG_6877.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6876.jpg
    IMG_6876.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 50
The Genesis II models have a rectangular shape frame vs. square. Making it more challenging to find a solution

Those you posted are 5" wheels. That is going to raise you grill several inches....which is probably a good thing, IMO.
Thinking the same thing Bruce. My E320 is a NG grill so it's on a pretty short leash I only move it a couple of feet to clean the mat it sits on, but the added height would be worth it.

[QUOTE="Tony-Chicago, post: 914186, Maybe that is why they put such lousy wheels on. Got to be some reason they do.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, there is a reason: cheaper!

Leave it to the bean counters, and it takes one to know one😲!

I ordered these casters from Algood Caster Innovations in Toronto, for my Summit Platinum, I don’t need brakes as 99% of my cooking is on turf, their options are endless, color, size, bearings etc. $12. Each shipping included.

Attachments

• E54AFEC8-AF50-4A40-9CB2-92D9DBA1A53A.jpeg
    E54AFEC8-AF50-4A40-9CB2-92D9DBA1A53A.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 12

Back