Genesis 1000 project

Justin G

TVWBB Member
Howdy,

I came across this site while looking for older Weber grills. There is a ton of info here and I have tried my best to read the basics, thank you to those who have shared. I have never had a gas grill but I have cooked on charcoal, wood and a flat top for years. I was at a relative's cabin last month and I had a chance to use his Genesis Silver B. I was impressed the thing worked so well for being so old. The propane was super convenient. I decided to get a new one. When I went and touched the new Genesis in my local hardware store they did not have the character or the feel of the older one. I began scanning craigslist for a project.

I found this one online not too far from me.
2D6C76A3-861C-45A8-9F3B-3DD07AB01789.jpeg

The EO serial number shows to be a 95, and the information from Weber shows the grill to be a 1000 LX. It is maroon in color and in decent shape.

So far I have ordered the new style regulator, drip pan and liners, there was not one in place. I ordered the warming rack, new thermometer and ignition. It does not have an ignition right now. The center burner was not working. I pulled the manifold and cleaned the center orifice. This took care of the issue, the problem know is it takes 30 seconds or so for the crossover tube to light the center burner. I pulled the burner tubes and cleaned with a dremel. The center burner had an open end. I patched it with a torch and some RG-45. This worked but the crossover tube just takes too long for me. I ordered a new burner also.
565E31E5-B752-492F-9C2C-44E9AF02CE33.jpeg7E0C62A2-69F7-4027-8092-3908570B74A9.jpeg

Now I am in the cleaning phase. I think I will pull firebox, degrease and paint the ends. I do plan on giving it a top to bottom cleaning. I will wire brush any rust and repaint the frame. I was going to change the Durwood to cedar but now I am thinking I will try to clean it real well first.

Looks like a good rehab candidate. I like the maroon colour and was lucky to find one myself. Send more pics as you go along.

Upon further inspection it appears the bottom crossmembers will need to be replaced. They are rusted and the weber site does not show
replacement part number.
AE363958-C007-4275-8FC8-89B96D0D883F.jpeg

Hey WELCOME, Justin!

Looks like you have an overall really good candidate that will look extra nice when all shined up. That maroon isn't super common and is one of my personal favorites.

Definitely look at the "sticky" thread section at the top of the gas grill tab. Lots of combined years of experience in what you will read there. You can escape a lot of missteps using the helpful hints given.

My quick advice would be to not rely on Weber for many of your parts for a grill this old. Lots of good aftermarket stuff, some truly BETTER than Weber OEM. Again, checkout the recommendations you will find here.

For your rusted cross members, you can pretty readily purchase identical steel square tube frame metal and cut (or have it cut) to size. Then use the method Bruce shows for replacing a cross member. Different piece, same application:

Great rehab candidate grill. I would not think twice about replacing the burner tubes. They can be had for about $20 to include the crossover tube on Amazon.com.
For 1/4 the price, you will have a grill that in my opinion is better than the standard 3 burner Genesis II grills they make today.

I think a lot of the 15-20 year old grills that I pick up for rehabs still have the same original set in them. But, they are usually toast by then and one reason the owner got rid of the grill. Plus, I am pretty sure however that Weber uses a lower grade SS for them now than they did back then. Either way though, those will suit you fine.

Do a search but one of the best is a product from Eastwood called Rust Encapsulator. It can be had in a spray can with a long hose that sprays a 360 deg arc

Yah Eastwood makes some Rust Reformer/Encapsulator as well as Por15. I think the Eastwood comes with a long spray tube to get further into the frame pieces. However, if the grill is cared for and no left out in the rain every day without being covered, that rust isn't going to cause you any real problems for many more years. It is basically surface rust and in virtually every Weber gas grill frame from the 1980s on.

Justin,
I have taken the frame apart and soaked the pieces in a citric acid bath.

The citric acid converts the rust to a black iron oxide which is not rust, can easily be brushed away. After the bath, I take some steel wool and configure it to a straightened coat hanger and the attach it to my power drill. I use this to clean the inside of the frame tubes. The last thing I do is then treat the inside of the frame pieces with Eastwood internal frame coating
I only use the Eastwood product on the frame pieces that are NOT in direct contact with the firebox, because it is not heat rated. For the frame pieces around the firebox, I spray in the rust oleum high heat flat black to protect from rust formation.
Maybe this is overkill and more than some of the experienced guys on this forum would do, but I don't flip my restorations, they are either keepers or gifts to relatives, and I really hate rust.
Recently , I have been getting in to electrolysis as a form of rust removal, and it seems to work for smaller parts such as tank scales. I have done a grill frame with electrolysis but it required a much bigger container.

Rick, I have seen that electrolysis method with the battery charger on youtube. I was thinking of trying it out on some CI grates that I have.

I forgot to mention I have an 11 year old helper on this project. This grill is 25 years old and I hope to get another 25 years out of it. We pulled it apart today. There was a little surface rust around the frame.
DBFFC845-7E5D-4882-8D59-8BA66A205899.jpeg

The bottom rails are toast. The issue I found now is the risers that they attached to are rusted out.
61B7C665-DDAF-4F0D-9DC2-0D03C5AA0E3B.jpeg

I hit them with a stripping wheel and this is what I found.
80F38A05-F069-4456-A507-FBA9F77AD7DF.jpeg119A1A0C-6884-49A6-86C6-81572B36741A.jpeg
At this point is this salvageable? Do I just replace the risers too? I am not much of a fabricator, I do have an oxygen/ acetylene rig and some RG45 but it probably won't look pretty. The metal is fairly cheap but I would like to salvage this if possible. I was thinking some primer and paint. If this will not last I will change out the metal and do my best.

This drip pan is also rusted. I think these can be replaced?
65B86A79-434F-4B0E-8016-598E129EB393.jpeg

The rails on the bottom of the firebox look to be galvanized? I will hit with a wire wheel.
6B2DE2EA-9550-4C99-A07C-1DE2B356AA36.jpeg

It it was me, I would find a donor grill and grab the frame at least. Unless the drip pan has holes in it, I wouldn't worry about the rust. It will hold up for several more years and if there are no holes, it will function as well as a brand new one. If you hit the galvanized rails with a wire wheel, you will also strip off most of the galvanizing which will lead to quicker rusting in the future. If you find a donor grill for the frame, hopefully it will have the drip pan and rails in better condition and use as spares. I would use both old ones until they fail though.

I scoured the local listings and even checked within a 200 mile radius. I am not able to locate a donor at this time. I guess I will patch it the best I can and hope for the best. I went out and bought some paint, rust encapsulator and rust dissolver.
53F4206D-01AB-4D4B-8D33-DE03628F8AB9.jpeg

I used the dissolver on the inside of the square tubing. You can see the before and after on the photos.
E879EA22-1622-4F2C-9164-4D73A6B6AE69.jpeg7D3C19CC-0CEA-4FDE-A890-12E8AA235092.jpeg2066F764-7318-4FF0-B319-3E35143BE677.jpeg

Tomorrow I am going to JB Weld up the holes, scuff up with Scotch Brite, prime and attempt to get some primer inside the square tubing and get ready for paint. I hope to have this thing ready to cook by Friday. I think a lot depends on if my parts show up. I have the grill scattered inside my garage and I am unable to park there.

Justin, I see the sweat droplets in a couple of your pics. This Weberitis of yours might be a lingering disease...it seems to be contagious and affects each of us differently. Anyway, patch it up and fix it up as best you can and then enjoy it! The rust issues seem to be only cosmetic and not structural, and likely you will be the only one that knows about it. And if you are sitting around enjoying the fruits of your labors and another one comes your way, or if you are grillin' and chillin' and look at what you have and see something that might be missing like an end table or swing table or external burner or a glass door cabinet (whoever thought of that at Weber in the first place?????), well, then you know you got the bug.

Bruce, you need to tell him...these vintage Webers pop up all the time. Patience is a virgin virtue.

Back