Genesis 1000 project

My experience is with older Genesis grills. I saw on some restorations that the fuel scale pointer rod has an offset and it ends up on the inside of the frame leg. All mine were straight and the pointer was on the outside of the frame leg. When and why would they change it?
Gerry

I may have grazed the lid a time or two but it didn't leave a mark. I guess I will know for sure when I clean the lid with steel wool and simple green. I wanted to paint the ends first.

Or your (our) feet. I like to work in flip-flops and shorts, too. I've got a couple or 3 angle grinders and I've gotten into the habit of latching them into the on position. Makes it interesting when you drop one and you've got to yank the plug before it climbs up your leg.

Yah, if you use one of those angle grinders with the lock on them, it is only a matter of time before you will do the grinder dance.

The very first ones had a metal scale attached to the right of the leg and the pointer went into a slot formed when the scale was bolted to the leg. Very quickly they eliminated the metal scale and went to a sticker with the pointer to the right, but my guess is the pointer interfered with the table support mechanism on the early ones (it gets busy quickly on that side of the grill with the tank mandated to be attached to the grill).

I'd like to see a timeline, too!
The thing is, my '92 Genesis still had the pointer on the outside of the leg. However, I think the right side swing up tables were available during the whole time.
Just got a thought that maybe they had to change the pointer when they went with the slider hardware for the swing up tables?
Gerry

My table is on the left side and the scale on the right. I just found the Weber manual for setting the scale. Hopefully I can get it working.

My table is on the left side and the scale on the right. I just found the Weber manual for setting the scale. Hopefully I can get it working.

I hope you have more than this. But really, after you've been grilling for awhile, it won't matter. I mean, I like things to work, too, I get that, but always have a tank of gas or a bag of charcoal on hand.

Scale Setting.png

This one shows how to adjust the level with an empty tank. I have 3 propane jugs so hopefully I will always have a spare.

It looks like I can't share a link, but I just went to weber.com and entered my serial number. From there it gives me a parts schematic and a list of documents for my grill. In that list is the owner's manual. I have a screenshot of a portion of the instructions
Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 5.02.19 PM.png

Today’s progress. Tomorrow I will begin the reassemble. I have the wheels and durawood tables soaking in soapy water overnight
184B5161-E8C8-400D-B489-A0B5829BCCAF.jpegCDE774DE-349B-4223-B22E-A828E5646BBF.jpeg

I am having a hard time getting the badge off. It looks like there could be friction clips but they are up tight to the lid and I cant get a screwdriver in between the clip and the lid. Any tips?

I have used the razor scraper once I am done using it for cleaning the inside lid. Carefully wedge it under the clip to get it loose enough to the wedge something more substantial like a screw driver of old knife. Careful with the razor, they will break if you use too much force.

Well I was able to use a putty knife and razor blade. Bad news is I broke the clips. Are these available at a hardware store? I checked Home Depot for "friction clips" and nothing. Got the new burners in
4C43D293-8D11-4CF1-A466-C31F56D836F6.jpeg

Yes, I was going to mention in my last post, that you will end up rendering these friction clips useless once you pry them off. I would recommend using the high heat gasket maker adhesive technique that others have described in this form for reattaching the emblem onto the lid. It’s much easier

Back