2001 Silver C rehab/ how to ( or how not to) dye plastic grill parts

Rick W

TVWBB Super Fan
First things first, this forum is great, lots of good info for the beginner getting in to restoring Weber grills.
I have started my 2001 maroon LP Silver C project, purchased this grill off of FB marketplace for $80.

The grill os really not in that bad of shape. No real bad frame rust, the lid is in great shape, just the usual stuff like gates, flavor bars and burner tubes along with a new igniter.

But, I decided to do a complete disassembly and go the full nine yards (or is it 10), since this is going to be a keeper grill.

I already have a 1993 Genesis 2000 NG grill, so this will be my backup grill.

Already started to take apart
IMG_1022.JPG

usual dirt and grease inside and outside cook box and lid sides
IMG_1039.JPG

All frame pieces got a citric acid bath, treating mostly surface rust, you know, when you take the frame apart and tilt a piece up and get a little ant hill of rust out the other end.
fullsizeoutput_db3.jpeg

Wire brushed the inside of the frame pieces, then hit the frame pieces not next to the cook box with Eastwood Internal frame coating, it comes with a long applicator tube so that you can get the whole way in to each piece. The frame parts next to the cook box only got Rustoleum high heat matte black inside because I wasn't sure if the Eastwood could hold up to the heat.
IMG_1051.JPG

The manifold is next....but,
I took time in between to redo the wheels and the emblem.

old wheels
IMG_1038.JPG

new wheels, painted the wheels black, took the white wall off, sanded and painted then added high gloss clear.
Drilled out the center to accommodate new bushings, then got a new SS axel from Mcmaster-CarrIMG_1154.JPG

old emblem
fullsizeoutput_d55.jpeg

new emblem, more detailed pic are under this post https://tvwbb.com/threads/how-to-restore-the-weber-emblem.81135/post-901482
IMG_1076.JPG

Yah, lots of detail work done there. Great job. I am looking forward to the final product.

Yeah! Looking like this will be a very first class restore. Awesome work so far; keep us posted as it comes together. You are going to have something WAY BETTER than those throwaway fake stainless grills on sale at the big box stores😬:

More junk grills at Lowes.jpg

Jon, I don't think that I will ever buy one of those coolie cutter grills from the big stores.
I forgot to mention, I had the firebox and lid sides sandblasted for $30. very reasonable. Prepped and painted with the usual Rustoleum High heat matte black. Has anyone ever painted the firebox with anything else? Has anyone ever strayed away from black and did the firebox in some other high heat color. Just wondering.

IMG_1079.JPGIMG_1081.JPG

manifold before
IMG_1054.JPG

cleaning of the valves , great instructural video in this forum
IMG_1060.JPG

frame assembled with cook box in place, all 316 SS hardware. The firebox looks gray in this picture but I assure you it is the flat black color.
IMG_1152.JPG

manifold back in place, couldn't resist adding some color that will never be seen. Zip tie around the manifold support is for the new ignitor wires.
fullsizeoutput_d9f.jpeg

IMG_1155.JPG

That is looking SO GOOD! All you guys finding reasonable prices for sandblasting have me itching to do the same. As soon as I get moved in I am going to visit the few places I have been able to find in my area and show them what I need. I have enough backlog to keep somebody busy for quite a while but since I wouldn't be in any big hurry they would provide some good "filler" work. I am hoping that patience will be rewarded with a good deal like some of you have been able to get.

I also want to find a source (maybe same place) for powder coating. And, I want to see what it would take to do that myself. Sand blasting is too expensive to set up for if you don't already have a honking big compressor. Maybe powder coating won't require so much.

Powder coating requires an oven large enough to contain whatever you are coating along with room for any racking required for suspension. You also need the energy source (gas or electricity) to heat the oven. The powder is sprayed on and is held in place by an electrostatic charge until it is loaded into the oven. The spraying process can be messy so is usually done in some sort of booth. Like just about anything sprayed, you need a respirator. Eastwood has some smaller units intended for home use. While I worked at GE, they had a huge walk-in oven, although I never saw it in operation...

Last edited:
Thanks, Ed! Good tips. I do have a respirator. The oven part sounds like it could be an issue since it would have to be large enough to fit something like a Q lid. I don't see the need to powder coat a firebox, but it would be nice to be able to do so.

When my July tax season and moving are over with I will check out what they have.

So, no one has responded yet to my question about painting the firebox anything other than rustoleum flat black.
Also, on a side note, is there a way to visually tell the difference between a manifold that is configured for NG vs one for LP?
That thing is gonna look to pretty to get dirty.
I guess that I got carried away because it is a keeper grill and I have assimilated so much info from so many rehab posts on this forum...its the "when is enough", enough syndrome.

I have not seen anyone use anything other than black on the cook box. Most use flat and I have seen some use the Semi gloss black.

Of course, your red manifold is a first for me too.

Wow is all I can say........amazing work so far. This is your baby so only you will know when it is just right. Can you send me a link for the new axle please? I am restoring an old 3000 or 4000 and the new axle would really please the eye of a potential buyer I think. Awesome job on the valves and manifold...I though I was way over doing it until I saw what you did.......

Wow is all I can say........amazing work so far. This is your baby so only you will know when it is just right. Can you send me a link for the new axle please? I am restoring an old 3000 or 4000 and the new axle would really please the eye of a potential buyer I think. Awesome job on the valves and manifold...I though I was way over doing it until I saw what you did.......
Thanks Jim,
I will forward you the info on the wheel modifications after work today. They are not my idea, like I said, everything I have done on this grill comes from info provided by someone else on this forum.

Why do firemen wear red suspenders? To hold their pants up.
[Sorry for the Dad joke]
Black, especially flat black, hides stains the best. Paint it white or yellow and you may spend more time keeping it clean than using it.
Makes sense Ed, black is for a practical reason, easy to keep clean, not so much for the aesthetics's .

When my brother worked at a powder coating and electrostatic painting shop when things were not going properly with a customers part the statement around the place was
“Paint it black and send it back!”

Assembled frame, cook box in place, all 316 SS hardware. RCP flavorizer bars and SS grates.
Polished the lid with Meguiar's Ultimate compound and then Polish.
Attached the emblem with Permatex optimum grey gasket maker (rated to 700 degrees)

IMG_1157.jpgIMG_1158.jpg

Had my friend sandblast the bottom wire shelf and then I primed it then painted it.
Next is dealing with the gray plastic handle and end pieces...

bleach and and green scrubby works great on the handles and tables.

And yah, so far so good. Great job.

Back