Genesis 1000 - Good Deal?

Thanks for all the insight!

Couple questions.
Could I just replace the entire manifold with this? Would that solve the bad valve problem, or would I still need valves to attach to it?

Is there any particular reason you use a wire rather than the replacement bracket itself?

Regarding the "Durawood", what is it? I just thought the original stained wood had faded to that gray color. I was planning to cut all new wood for it, but are you saying that gray wood is intentional, and could be preferred?

Oh yea, and one more question, when I pick this up today, it'll have to fit in the back of my SUV...hopefully.
Are there sections that can be disassembled to make sure it fits?
The best thing you can do is learn how to use this forum as a resource. Do a search for "durawood", for example. As for the valves, there is an excellent write-up here on valve maintenance and disassembly authored by @LMichaels and @Chris Allingham.

Read, read, read, and then read some more. Every question that you can think of has likely been answered before, but if you don't have any luck with searching don't hesitate to ask questions.

I used wire because I had the proper wire on hand and I think it is actually a better solution in that those early brackets are so easily dislodged and then lost or misplaced. Aircraft safety wire is annealed and intended to be twisted so this is an ideal application for it. Also, that was the only part I needed, but if I were putting an order together I would have probably added it to the order.

I've lost count (and don't want to be reminded) of the grills I have brought home in the trunk/back seat of a 2003 Camry. These grills all fit in a box at one time so they are made to come apart. The back of an SUV should be no problem, although you will likely need to replace the tubing connectors on the lower crossmembers.

Have fun! It's a great hobby and you can cook dinner on it at the end of the day!

Update:

The grill is in my vehicle and heading home.

I'll send pics for evaluation upon arrival 😁

Looks like I'll be purchasing the Flavorizer Bars from the resident eBay seller, as they're all either in 2 pieces or mostly destroyed.

The grates look ok, but I might as well get new stainless ones too while I'm at it.

The grease tray is in tact, and the frame welds don't look all that bad at all.

The outside of the hood doesn't look to have any imperfections at all from first glance.

Here we go. Please go easy on me, and let me know if you'd like any other photos in particular. I can bust out my professional photog gear if necessary 😉

Feel free to give me any good news/bad news...

Before you do anything else, and you may have done it already, but get a good picture of that ID tag. It's only paper and if you spray it with cleaner it will wash off all the ink (BTDT). If you want to preserve it, you can try spraying lacquer over it, but there is a template here in the forum where you can recreate your own if so desired.

Oh, yeah, that grill looks gross, but they all do at this point. One thing about the durawood...don't find out the hard way that it will soften and bow with heat. Make sure the LH side table is pulled away from the cookbox (even though there is a spacer there, I still make sure mine is flush with the end cap when using the grill). Oops! Too late...already bowed. Looks like you might need a new grease pan, too. Clean it all up and go from there!

Last edited:
A couple of things...you've got durawood, which generally came with a plastic lid handle, yet you have the wooden handle. Maybe the lid has been swapped? And you're not keeping the durawood, so no matter if it's bowed. And the back of the cookbox is fluted where it meets the frame! Don't see many of those, but @Bruce is the expert here...he's seen more grills than Carter has little liver pills. :giggle:

Whoops, realized I left the grates and flavorizers in the car, just added those to the album. Guess it doesn't matter though since I'll replace them all.

I wouldn't spend another nickel until I got everything cleaned up and take inventory. The burners look to be original with the spider guards and my preference is to keep them and clean them up, if possible, although others favor the Chinese replacements. The crossover tube usually needs replacement and the cost of an OEM xover tube is about the same as a complete Chinese burner set, so take your choice. You can flip the two outside burners if necessary to even out the wear. I try to keep my grills as original as possible so that others down the line can enjoy a piece of history but that's just me.

I'm thinking I'll replace both the lid handle and the durawood since I do a bit of woodworking and have the tools.

Anything else inventory-wise I'll keep and clean up, but I have no idea what's "worth" replacing.

That center valve stem looks pinched, but I don't know why that would cause it to be seized, or if that's just a cosmetic issue and unrelated.

I'll gladly spend whatever I need to according to you experts in order to get it into tip-top condition.

I'm thinking I'll replace both the lid handle and the durawood since I do a bit of woodworking and have the tools.

Anything else inventory-wise I'll keep and clean up, but I have no idea what's "worth" replacing.

That center valve stem looks pinched, but I don't know why that would cause it to be seized, or if that's just a cosmetic issue and unrelated.

I'll gladly spend whatever I need to according to you experts in order to get it into tip-top condition.
Not to worry about the stem on the valve being pinched...you can open it up with a screwdriver (cautiously, with finesse). Sometimes that happens when you take the knob off and don't put it back on correctly, but it's not an issue...you may find yourself opening up the others to get a good friction fit with the knob.

You are going to have to take the bonnet off the valve to see what's up. Whatever you do, do not, repeat, do not, strip the screw heads trying to get the screws out. Follow that link I posted earlier and see what you are going to be doing. Oh, and those valves are an assembly and must be kept as such. Do not mix parts, although it's not the end of the world if you do...just don't do it.

Can someone please talk me off the edge from buying this one too? I feel like once you pop you can't stop, right? No reason not to just haggle it down, right?!

It looks awfully clean...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210827-231338~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20210827-231338~2.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20210827-231341~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20210827-231341~2.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20210827-231356~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20210827-231356~2.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20210827-231350~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20210827-231350~2.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20210827-231352~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20210827-231352~2.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 17
Not sure what they are asking, but that is a two burner. I think a Genesis 500 or something like that. I notice that the grates look to be SS solid rod grates, but they look like they are home made.
Depending on the price and what your intentions would be for the grill, it might be a good deal.

Oh, unless it is dirt cheap or free, there is always a reason to try to haggle it down.

Sorry, should have mentioned it's listed for $100.

Would "homemade SS grates" be frowned upon?

I'm wondering if just the wheels and small grease tray and especially the flavorizer bars alone would offset the cost I'm putting together from grillparts.com for the redhead anyways.

Maybe I'll just ask if it's available and get the ball rolling...

Last edited:
I would not pay $100 for that grill. But that is me. If you are looking for a two burner Genesis 500 or whatever it is, then maybe. Just keep in mind that those are not very common grills which can be good or bad. Good that they are a bit more unique, but bad in that parts for them will be much tougher to find. But, even though they are a lot more rare than their three burner big brothers, I don't think there is any bigger demand for them either.

If you just want one personally, I would offer $50 and see what happens. If he has had it listed for a while, the might jump. But if you are buying it to rehab and flip it, I would walk away.

Oh, if the grates are SS Solid rod, that is good. But, if they are cobbled together, then that is not so good. It would take a closer examination to determine.

Back