Genesis 1000 - Good Deal?

John-NY

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello,

I have an opportunity to get a Genesis 1000 for $70

I would plan to refurbish it. The seller says one of the three burner valves is "seized", and is also missing the knob.

The other two burners are fine.

Starts on first button press, and frame looks in good shape.

Thoughts? Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210826-213218.jpg
    Screenshot_20210826-213218.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 40
  • received_1007154733440688.jpeg
    received_1007154733440688.jpeg
    28.5 KB · Views: 37
  • received_318900266640139.jpeg
    received_318900266640139.jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 29
  • received_1767229510144608.jpeg
    received_1767229510144608.jpeg
    52.2 KB · Views: 37
It's going to be hard to give a definitive answer, and it depends a lot on what grills are going for in your area, but $70 is too much for my taste, especially with a bad valve that may or may not be repairable...but bottom line, it all depends on how often they show up for sale in your area and how bad you want it.

2 things in my opinion:

check the large grease pan. It should be in good or excellent condition as they are not made anymore. No rot or excessive rust.

Make sure the lid is in good shape. No dents, bare spots or fade.

the rest can be fixed.

Yeah, about the lid...some colors are more valuable than others, so if it has a lid color other than black, that alone may make the grill worth more.

Have a look:

Thanks.

The lid is red, I did add some pictures to the original post if that helps.

I'll ask about the drip tray and get some pictures.

I don't think I realized a valve might not be replaceable with a readily available part. Is this the part?

Thanks.

I don't think I realized a valve might not be replaceable with a readily available part. Is this the part?
Yes, that's the part.....though keep your eyes open for a beater grill for free....likely you could grab a valve from the manifold (ask me how I know....) :)

Looking at the pics you added, it looks to be a 90s redhead that's all mostly there...see if you can get it for $50, but at this point it looks to be worth what he's asking. How long has it been up for sale? The good ones don't stay up for sale for long. And if it comes with the tank, all the more reason to move quickl

Last edited:
Thanks.

I wouldn't go parts shopping until you get that grill in your hot little hands...it might just be "the one that got away."

Great, I'm going at noon tomorrow to get it, I'll keep you posted.

Is the tank "special" to the grill itself in some way, or do you just mean cause I'd get a generic free tank too, which is always nice.

It was posted for $100, I tried to haggle at $40 and $50, but he stayed at $80 and I finally got him to $70.

No, not special, but you can use it for exchange or refill. Many people have more than one tank (the first time you run out of gas in the middle of a cook you'll know why). This one has the QCC1 adapter added, so that's a plus.

You will need a manifold support bracket...judging from the wear around the valve opening, it's been missing for quite awhile. Also missing is the "modesty panel" that mounts below the control panel and hides the burner tubes/manifold. There's a template in the forum somewhere and you can make your own if you're handy. There looks to be a fair amount of "Weber fade" on the control panel...they all have that to some degree, it seems. The red lid is pretty much impervious to the fade, fortunately It's hard to tell, but the tables look to be durawood, which came along in the mid- to late-90s. It ain't pretty but it sure is practical. My Platinum Series is durawood and I like it.

Looks like you got a nice little project grill. Congratulations! That ought to keep you busy for awhile!

There is definitely something wrong with that middle valve. How could the stem even be down that far? I know it can be fixed, but I would love to see a picture of that manifold !

Ok, I looked at the pictures again. Even the two knobs that are still there are sitting low. So you figure the manifold just got bent down over time, no bracket?

That bracket supports the manifold assy. It falls off when you move the grill around and most people don't know what it is. Many people (myself included) use wire to hold the manifold up. I have a roll of SS aircraft safety wire and it works real well.

It's the only thing that holds the manifold/cookbox up on the left. Otherwise, the cookbox sits on the frame and when you push the valve down to turn the valve on it bends the manifold assy. down over time. The wear from the knob around the hole in the control panel is a dead giveaway.

Thanks for all the insight!

Couple questions.
Could I just replace the entire manifold with this? Would that solve the bad valve problem, or would I still need valves to attach to it?

Is there any particular reason you use a wire rather than the replacement bracket itself?

Regarding the "Durawood", what is it? I just thought the original stained wood had faded to that gray color. I was planning to cut all new wood for it, but are you saying that gray wood is intentional, and could be preferred?

Oh yea, and one more question, when I pick this up today, it'll have to fit in the back of my SUV...hopefully.
Are there sections that can be disassembled to make sure it fits?

Bring a couple basic tools. Pair of pliers, screw driver, bungees, and something to lay it on. They're not hard to transport. Once lid is off actually quite light. If the hinge pins don't come out to remove the lid DON"T FIGHT IT and DON'T hit anything with a hammer or beat on it in any way! Simply secure the lid then until you get it home. A roll of duct tape helps or the bungees

Thanks for all the insight!

Couple questions.
Could I just replace the entire manifold with this? Would that solve the bad valve problem, or would I still need valves to attach to it?

Is there any particular reason you use a wire rather than the replacement bracket itself?

Regarding the "Durawood", what is it? I just thought the original stained wood had faded to that gray color. I was planning to cut all new wood for it, but are you saying that gray wood is intentional, and could be preferred?

Oh yea, and one more question, when I pick this up today, it'll have to fit in the back of my SUV...hopefully.
Are there sections that can be disassembled to make sure it fits?
The durawood is made from recycled milk cartoons and the gray color is it's natural color. For a daily driver it's easier to clean and maintain than wood.

Ironically, these never show up around here, but there's another one right now also, 2 burner though

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210827-101839.jpg
    Screenshot_20210827-101839.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 18

Back