Genesis 1000 - Good Deal?

Well...I did ask you to talk me down...😅
One key bargaining point...how long has it been up for sale? And it sounds like you might have a touch of Weberitis.

If you study the market for a while, when that right grill comes along, you will know. All things come to those who wait.

Not enough interchangeable parts with the one you already bought, not that desirable two burner model, and not close enough to free to bother with in my opinion. Concentrate on what you got already and you will start to see this a little differently. I'm not quite finished with my first restore yet and my attitudes have already changed quite a bit since learning from these guys. Once you really dive in and see what it takes to restore one of these, you will see what I mean. P.S I'm doing real wood to replace the durawood and it doubles your time to complete the job. It's a labor of love for sure!

Thanks, I'm sufficiently talked down.

Should I be using this as my Bible?

Looks like I'll need to buy a cup wire brush for my angle grinder and a few other random things, like some brake cleaner and paint. Based on other people's comments I don't think I'm going to bother repainting or spending much time on the frame.

I also put together this preliminary list, assuming these parts are shot, but I will take inventory like suggested.
Separate items would be the flavor bars and shelf z bars from rcplanebuyer, also.

Oh boy, I'm gonna have so many questions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210827-230638.jpg
    Screenshot_20210827-230638.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 8
You can get better deals on some/all of those parts. No way would I pay $65 for "channel formed" grates. For Example: you can get a real good set of solid rod SS grates for less (under $50 for sure).
Check Amazon. Here is a good option: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DVM8KFK/?tag=tvwb-20

Also, I don't recommend replacing the hanging basket and warming rack unless you "really" intend to use them. They are chrome plated steel and will rust out quickly. I think you will also find the warming rack is always in your way when grilling. I find very few of the grills I pick up for rehabbing still have the racks. People tend pull them out, set them aside and never put them back in or replace them.

The grease pan and holding bracket should be found on Amazon for about $10 less as well.

Check the other parts as well.

Last edited:
Ahh thanks! Are there a conglomeration of parts-websites in particular I should be comparing costs between?

Thanks!
Is this a wildly oversimplified version of a restoration? And is there any reason not to pressure wash the cookbox, large grease pan, etc.?

Edit: Not sure if the YouTube link works here, but it's the Genesis 1000 video by "Dave's Ohio BBQ"

That is not exactly how I would rehab the grill, but that works. If you have access to a pressure washer, then use it, by all means.

How deep you go into doing the resto is partially how ambitious you are and what you are rehabbing it for. It is up to you really.

My thoughts are that if you are restoring a grill for personal use, there is no need to fully clean the inside of the cook box. A pressure wash is more than enough. It will just get gunked up in a month anyway. Same with the inside of the lid. However, if you want to rehab to resell it, then you should bite the bullet and either grind out the cook box inside or have it sand blasted.

I'm just gonna use it personally. I have a 4 burner Stok grill I just redid all the burners and grates and everything for, have had it for 10 years, works fine, but has crazy hot spots and the opposite everywhere, and I'm just sick of feeling like I'm fighting with it every time I use it.

All I've ever heard is that these Webers can't be beat, so I wanted to jump down the rabbit hole.

I wouldn't spend another nickel until I got everything cleaned up and take inventory. The burners look to be original with the spider guards and my preference is to keep them and clean them up, if possible, although others favor the Chinese replacements. The crossover tube usually needs replacement and the cost of an OEM xover tube is about the same as a complete Chinese burner set, so take your choice. You can flip the two outside burners if necessary to even out the wear. I try to keep my grills as original as possible so that others down the line can enjoy a piece of history but that's just me.

I agree Ed. While I am not at all above using the new imported non-OEM burners, if you can satisfactorily rescue a set of the OEM real stainless Weber ones, that is even better. I have accumulated quite a few of these and plenty of plastic spider guards. Maybe a winter project will be to methodically clean and bag them for future projects. Of course, I have a million other things I am supposed to be doing...

I have about 20 sets Jon. I wish there was an easy way to clean them up without having to break out the angle grinder. Also, most need a darn cross over tube.
Bruce, is it worth it to buy new crossover tubes for the weber burner tubes? I would think that the older ones were probably better quality than anything on the market today as far as longevity.

I have about 20 sets Jon. I wish there was an easy way to clean them up without having to break out the angle grinder. Also, most need a darn cross over tube.
Yeah, that's not the way to go if you are looking to profit from your labors. And you're right about the crossover tube, and it will always be the first to go, because it's on all the time and being such a small diameter it's gets hot. But if you are talking about a "forever" grill, or the grill you always wanted, that's what it takes.

Bruce, is it worth it to buy new crossover tubes for the weber burner tubes? I would think that the older ones were probably better quality than anything on the market today as far as longevity.
Honestly, I think the OEM Weber burners are a little better, but when they are 3 or more times as expensive, it isn't worth it in my opinion. I have had a $13 set on my Genesis 1000 for 4 years now and the thing still burns great and lights up great. Truth be told, I am not very good with maintenance either. I think I have only brushed the tubes one time in 4 years.

I find that buying just a cross over tube is nearly as expensive as a whole new set. Although I did see a source where you could get them for about $7 each.

I am not sure what shipping would set you back though.

I agree with you, I wouldn't buy OEM burner tubes anymore. I don't think they will last the same amount of time as older ones and cost too much as well. I guess you just have so many at this point you just mix and match a set for your flip grills anyway!

Steve, I stock up on aftermarket ones when I see a good price. I bought about 15 or 20 sets last fall for under $15 a set. I still keep good burners off my rehabs, but just grab a new set to save time and put that shiny bling in my flip grills that the buyers love like crack.

Now I have about 2 dozen used sets for when I run out of replacements or when the price gets to high or availability of them gets tough.

Back