HOW TO: Cleaning & Lubricating Weber Gas Grill Valves

That video is great, Chris. I actually watched it about a month back when I was trying to figure out my seized control valve, and although I had to replace it, this video taught me a lot about how they work. Great job!

This is an awesome video. However I used another cleaner. Since I did have a can of carburetor cleaner from my mower I used that instead of brake cleaner. Worked great as well. I just did not want to buy another cleaner which I would have sitting around.
I also recommend using a screw driver with a magnetic tip to prevent the screws from falling down.
But what I also noticed is that Weber has used different valves over the years and I had one manifold on a Silver B where I was not able to loosen the screws.

Last edited:
If you have an electric heat gun you may be able to loosen them because the bodies are made of brass and with a little PBlaster and some heat you may just be able to get it done

What also worked for me on the valves I could not open: spray carburetor cleaner on the stem on the outside and move the stems up and down. This loosened them.

Lubricating the valves is an essential. Your grill just feels so much better. Great video Chris, and great advice Larry. This is one of the more significant things anyone can do to make their old gas grill feel new.

Slainte!

Tim

Getting ready to rehab my 2013 EP330. Can you use mineral spirits to clean the valves? Thanks for the video - very helpful, and I would have otherwise not thought to do this.

Sure. But remember they're basically diesel/kerosene that knows somebody. IOW they're simply relabeled kerosene or more refined diesel similar to #1. So it will leave a residue. Whether it will cause "issues" I don't know. My guess is unless it's followed up by a solvent that dries clean the residue could interrupt the lubricating qualities of the moly/brake lube you use. I have nothing against MS I use it regularly but just keep those issues in mind

Thanks! Had the MS on hand, but was able to get some 'brakleen' from Amazon that'll be here tomorrow. I can wait a day.

What’s the difference between lp and natural gas??

Attachments

• 7EF94348-F8DB-420F-B24B-D266E16832C5.jpeg
    7EF94348-F8DB-420F-B24B-D266E16832C5.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 8A7C02B7-BDA5-4E9E-85DE-7F6DA27A2723.jpeg
    8A7C02B7-BDA5-4E9E-85DE-7F6DA27A2723.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20FC72F8-89B5-4125-8E0B-35E34EA99020.jpeg
    20FC72F8-89B5-4125-8E0B-35E34EA99020.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 1A03449F-32D6-4700-8D22-AD3E80BEEE3A.jpeg
    1A03449F-32D6-4700-8D22-AD3E80BEEE3A.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 35
Guys would this work?
A note for anyone here. Never under any circumstance use silicone or a lube containing silicone on the grill or near the cook box. It is insidious stuff and you will never be able to get rid of it.

The size of the opening on the orifice will tell you. The NG one has a bigger opening.

Thanks for this very helpful video Chris. I am rehabbing my first vintage Weber - a redhead 1100. Do you know the correct size for the screws holding the valve together? A few of mine are stripped.

A note for anyone here. Never under any circumstance use silicone or a lube containing silicone on the grill or near the cook box. It is insidious stuff and you will never be able to get rid of it.

Damn, I should’ve read this after watching the video. Only thing I had on hand was Sil-Glyde. The valves seem ok and have been working fine. Any particular reason not to use that stuff?

Back