Fresh Christmas Ham

Ethan G

TVWBB Super Fan
Feliz Navidad!

I've been wanting to do a fresh ham for quite awhile now. I finally ordered some Cure #1 and gave it a shot. Step 1 was to get a fresh pork leg at the local Mexican grocery store. Please excuse the poor cell phone pics...

20151204_185423_zps76wpyvft.jpg

Step 2 - I made a curing brine of kosher salt, brown sugar, garlic cloves, peppercorns and a couple of bay leaves. I injected it into the pork (just finished that in the picture) and then put the whole thing with the rest of the brine in a 2.5 gallon ziploc bag (not pictured....), put that in an aluminum pot to keep it upright, and shoved it to the back of the refrigerator for two full weeks.

20151204_190109_zpsiynbwggg.jpg

Step 3 - rinse and air dry the ham in the refrigerator overnight, and then smoked it at 275 over a combination of pecan and grape wood for about 6 hours. For some reason no pictures of this part, but I cooked it to an internal temp of 165. After an hour rest, I trimmed off a small piece just to make sure it wasn't poisonous. Then wrapped it in a few layers of plastic wrap, put it into a ziploc bag and left it in the refrigerator for six days. Here's what it looked like getting up to room temp today prior to reheating it.

20151225_134336_zpsml1ngx7v.jpg

Completely wrapped it in foil and reheated at 300 degrees in the oven for an hour. After that, I scored the surface and started glazing it with a honey mustard glaze (4 parts honey to 1 part each of butter, brown sugar, mustard). Left it unwrapped and returned to the oven at 425 degrees.

20151225_161028_zpsnxd47jvg.jpg

After a few rounds of glazing it every 15 minutes, it had reached an internal temp of 120 degrees. I turned off the oven and opened it to vent the heat, then left the ham in it for another 15 minutes followed by 15 minutes uncovered on the counter. Here's one large section removed and ready to slice:

20151225_164215_zpsbhb2yxoz.jpg

20151225_164228_zpsinnqa5th.jpg

Here's a picture of the bone section with the prior half removed:

20151225_164327_zps8ijoidda.jpg

Here it is being sliced. No plated shots due to my hunger and desire to eat Christmas dinner on paper plates for easy cleanup ;)

20151225_164535_zps7fvcwynk.jpg

It was a long but not very difficult process, and completely worth the time once I tasted it. The ham was phenomenal, just the right balance of sweet and salty. It was moist but didn't have any of the watery liquid in a commercial ham. Yet it was very tender, when I was slicing it some of the crust-like outer parts fell off (think ham burnt ends :)). There was no need of a knife when eating it, the slices were fork tender. If you can get a pork leg, this is worth a shot! As a side note, I think that a pork picnic roast might sub pretty well for a pork leg.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

WOW!!! Perfection for sure Ethan, I love ham and boy could I dig into that one. Hope you Christmas was awesome and wishing you and family a Happy New Year.

First of all Ethan it looks awesome. Really delicious.
But. There is a BUT for me: I can't start prepping today in order to eat at the end of January 2016!
No way.
I need the shorter way. Please help me!

But. There is a BUT for me: I can't start prepping today in order to eat at the end of January 2016!
No way.
I need the shorter way. Please help me!

I wasn't sure how long it would take to cure, so I'm sure you can cut down on the curing time by injecting the entire cut with curing brine. The other thing was that between smoking and heating/serving it I waited six days (because that's when my schedule allowed a free day), but that was mostly because I wasn't sure how long it would take to smoke and I didn't want to spend the day on Christmas doing that. After the fact, I would smoke it one day and serve it at least a day later. By letting it rest in the refrigerator, the smoke flavor mellowed a little bit. It tasted more like ham after that rest than it did when I tested a piece as it came off of the smoker (it tasted like extra salty pulled pork then). So I think you could do this from start to finish in 11-12 days without much trouble.

Back