Foiled Vortex ~cool or not cool~

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Sometimes I vortex a whole spatchcocked bird, like I am tonight.
I foil the vortex inside to catch the mess poultry leaves behind...
my question is, is this right? Am I defeating the purpose of the vortex by closing up the bottom?
BCC90562-E5B6-40B0-A435-914964F150AF.jpeg
772A45FF-26C6-4906-B4E9-7F2DF8D921D2.jpeg
03B2141E-F653-4EBC-9794-0A87C4CDE11C.jpeg
8E0325CC-BA3E-4524-A256-7A66C62ED3AA.jpeg

Seems it would be totally fine when using the vortex with the coals on the outside. Otherwise, what's the alternative - squeeze a drip pan in there?

Might as well just cook indirect with the Weber baskets on both sides and a water pan down the middle. I don't see any advantage to using the Vortex.

But IMO, the Vortex works so well because it creates convection.

IMO there’s no ‘right’ or ’wrong’. I always have tin foil around but never seem to have those little foil pans so this looks like a good way to catch chx juice to me.

BTW, lately I‘ve been roasting spatchcock birds over a WSM without the water pan installed. I really like wings, whole birds, pieces, etc over live coals.

Might as well just cook indirect with the Weber baskets on both sides and a water pan down the middle. I don't see any advantage to using the Vortex.

But IMO, the Vortex works so well because it creates convection.
Advantage IS convection
Whole bird done in 40 minutes

my initial observation was: am I defeating the purpose of the vortex does by blocking the air flow by using foil to catch drippings.
After successful cooks using it this way, I’ve decided it’s ok.

so...

776B02C9-D875-4B04-9CBA-3CDD0DF4EFF9.jpeg

thank you all for your help 😉

Last edited:
Advantage IS convection
Whole bird done in 40 minutes

my initial observation was: am I defeing the purpose of the vortex does by blocking the air flow by using foil to catch drippings.
After successful cooks using it this way, I’ve decided it’s ok.

so...

View attachment 20970

thank you all for your help 😉

Yep! I'd say you're good!

I don't have a vortex, but cook spatchcocked poultry in under 40 minutes regularly....I just use a drip tray underneath. I just think your vortex is just acting as a glorified drip tray TBH. But if it works, it works.

What is right or wrong if it works, isn't that what this fiurm is all about experimentation trying new things, expanding the envelope. Jim you just showed us something new and different, and best of all it works. Great looking bird by the way.

Yep, I've done it. I think I saw it on the vortex site. Did a whole chicken on a vertical roaster set into the vortex, same deal on my vertical skewer.
Did a butt on the grate like your chicken and it came out great.

Edit:http://owensbbq.com/vortex.html

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s a defeat situation but, it does make me think that a stainless steel bowl might be pretty much as efficient. The convection properties are enhanced by the way the air flows. There might be a little loss of airflow with the foil but, I have a hard time thinking it would be much. Doing the reverse (cone up) the convection current is much faster...maybe.

Whatever works...works. Chicken looks great, I remember the first time I used my vortex and didn't put any foil under the thighs, OMG what a mess took me an hour to clean out the kettle.

It's just another spin on indirect cooking.

What you are doing is pretty much what Vortex itself recommends for chicken. Vortex calls it the "infrared" method:

This is a method that allows a perfect roasted protein without the need for an expensive rotisserie or having to spatchcock the bird before cooking. The Vortex deflects the direct heat while radiating high heat and giving your food the outdoor cooking flavor. Place Vortex wide-end up with a piece of foil in the bottom to block the air flow as well as catch drippings. Place bird or small roast on the beer-can holder (with or without liquid in it). Pour chimney full of ‘set’ coals equally around the Vortex and close the lid.

The only problem I see with equating it to the "infrared" method is that the vortex is lined with foil here - basically adding an insulating layer from direct heat/infrared transmission....so I do not think that really applies.

Pretty sure this is just convection cooking from the heat rising around the sides and the vortex is just acting as a drip pan.

I've done a beer-can chicken with the bird sitting down on the charcoal grate inside the vortex. That works well and is very easy to setup.

Your method looks good too, I'm just too lazy to cut the bird in half and smash it flat.

Interesting, I would have never thought that was the right configuration, considering how they recommend to cook a full bird.

Attachments

• Chicken Vortex.jpg
    Chicken Vortex.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 10

Back