Fly Management

EricV.

TVWBB Wizard
Where I live in the Midwest we are now in the dog days of summer, a lot of sun, high temps & stupid humidity. Whether I sit on the deck or the patio flies are everywhere! It gets extremely worse once I get the grill going. Regardless of me burning citronella candles or oil they still continue to appear. I'm sure it's probably been discussed before, what is everyone else doing to combat them?

A spray bottle than can "mist" filled with apple cider vinegar however that's not the greatest smell one can have. I collect Wolf Spiders, whenever we go hiking, I bring my spider container and if I see one, I catch it and bring it home. Best bug solution you can have. They can't harm you or your pets (but they do bite if you piss them off) they eat everything you don't want around and in your house. The only caution I have is that if you put a glass of water on your nightstand, you check it before drinking it. Wolf spiders like glasses of water, LOL

They are really out there this year. I used the Paul Harvey Mosquito spray in the past, and that worked on flies, but this year did nothing.
I bought some hose end bug spray to use in the yard but it's been too hot over 90 and they say don't use it when it's that hot.
I tried those fly traps/jugs and those just made a mess and stunk and attracted flies from the neighbors.
I have two German Shepard's and I always clean up after them immediately. My neighbors dogs, not so much, so I blame them

A spray bottle than can "mist" filled with apple cider vinegar however that's not the greatest smell one can have. I collect Wolf Spiders, whenever we go hiking, I bring my spider container and if I see one, I catch it and bring it home. Best bug solution you can have. They can't harm you or your pets (but they do bite if you piss them off) they eat everything you don't want around and in your house. The only caution I have is that if you put a glass of water on your nightstand, you check it before drinking it. Wolf spiders like glasses of water, LOL
Yeah apple cider vinegar is an "acquired smell" if that's even possible, LOL & don't even get me started with the spiders. It seems like every time I turn around I'm wiping a web away from me.

They are really out there this year. I used the Paul Harvey Mosquito spray in the past, and that worked on flies, but this year did nothing.
I bought some hose end bug spray to use in the yard but it's been too hot over 90 and they say don't use it when it's that hot.
I tried those fly traps/jugs and those just made a mess and stunk and attracted flies from the neighbors.
I have two German Shepard's and I always clean up after them immediately. My neighbors dogs, not so much, so I blame them
I continue to look for some sort of zapper, but they don't seem to apply to flies.

I came across that listing in my quest to conquer them, it's a cool looking item, just not sure about how effective it is.

Perhaps this is the time to try out the Bug-A-Salt gun that shoots salt. It's like a shotgun geared down for application to flies. I've long been tempted to order one. If the flies keep landing on me like they did when I mowed the other day I may have to give in to the temptation.

Up here at the cottage, I tend to use a product called “Mosquito Beater” in conjunction with tiki torches and the occasional coil under the glider and, unless it’s raining, or has just rained it works for about three days at a stretch.
Rained like a cow peeing on a flat rock yesterday, I couldn’t stand still long enough at the grill to take pictures of the amazing whitefish fillet, zucchini cook from last evening!
I will re apply the stuff this morning and by afternoon they should all be out to lunch somewhere else!

I am intrigued by the salt gun, I never new that one existed. I think I will look into the different varieties offered. With my aim, I will need to find one that can accommodate a red dot sight! The newest version is 3.0, see link below:

Last edited:
My local Ace doesn't show any stock, however my Academy Sports has limited stock. I'll probably go there later today.

Flies and yellow jackets are a total PIA right now. Yellow jackets seem to be swarming about 5 to 6 weeks earlier than normal. Gives me concern they're fattening up early for what will likely be a VERY brutal and early winter for us in the upper midwest. :(

My Ace had three so I bought one.
The 3.0 is superior to my old one, just had some fun in my garage.(y)

Back