Fly Management

A true story, a few years back...

I was at a summer scout camp attending as an adult leader. After lunch I was relaxing in a beach chair in the shade when the camp director and three stout gentlemen with serious and concerned looks on their faces approached our campsite. After a short conversation I was advised there was a report that one of the scouts had firearm, specifically an assault rifle. I gathered a few adults and we started a search. We were a large group, spread across a large area and most of the scouts were away from the campsite. About 30 minutes into the search / inspection a group of scouts returned to camp and we asked them. On boy responded immediately saying oh yeah, its over on the table...

And that's when I first saw "a salt rifle"...

My son thought it was so funny he bought me one for my birthday.

Kosher was too big. The canning/pickling salt (Morton's) is just a tad bigger than table salt. Somewhere I got the idea that was what their "special salt" was, and started using it. Plus, I had a whole box of it that I wasn't using. Seemed to work better of the two, just my results.

Charlie

Thanks for the note on Kosher. I might try canning salt. Table salt doesn't really work for me. Even at point blank range it seemed to just scare the flys away for a moment.

It's funny. Sunday after buying my new 3.0 my Brother called me and asked if I ever heard about this new shotgun blasting salt thing that kills flies.
He just bought one and was having a ball.

A lot of people here are getting excited about potentially buying Weber stock, I'm starting to think Morton Salt may be the safer/profitable investment!

Last edited:
I'm the one who started it and now I've been sucked in. Just ordered a Bug-A-Salt 3.0. Spent some time on some outdoors projects today and the flies were very annoying. Come Monday I'll be armed and ready.

Took the Bug-A-Salt out with me when cooking burgers tonight. The flies weren't too bad by the grill, so I had to go hunting by the garbage can. Man, was that fun. It was hard to tell if I was killing them or just blowing them off into the distance, but the population seemed to dwindle pretty quickly. Fun way to eliminate flies if you've got the money for it.

I may get one to try on yellow jackets. They're AWFUL already
If you know where the nest is, just mix up a big bucket of very soapy water and pour it in the nest. Best to do this just after the sun has set when they've all returned to the hive and settled down for the night. I had a nest in the yard last summer and tried several approaches to getting rid of them, including commercial pesticides. The five gallon bucket of water with a cup of Dawn mixed in was by far the cheapest and most effective thing I used.

They breathe through their exoskeleton. The water covers their bodies and the soap ensures that it adheres to the surface. (Surfactants at work!) This quickly suffocates them.

I dumped the bucket in the nest and then ran for it. That was the last I saw of the hornets.

Back