Flat Iron?

C Lewis

Closed Account
Any experiences with flat iron steaks? I had one a long time ago at a restaurant, seemed to remember that it was pretty good. I just came across several at a great price at my local store, figured that I'd play around with them one day for a quick meal. I've heard everything online to "as tender as a fillet" to "can be very tough". Seems like a lot of them are used like skirt steak for fajitas and such. Anyone on here mess with them before?

Thanks,

Charlie

I’ve done a few but, not in a long time, for some reason, I could find them in Pittsburgh but, not around here very often.
I did a marinade with balsamic vinegar, garlic, evoo, fresh thyme, oregano, and chives. Let it rest maybe three or four hours, then direct heat to medium rare. It was really nice, one of the last things I cooked for my mother.

I went to visit a buddy last weekend, and stopped to pick up steaks from a local butcher he's pretty fond of. He picked up 3 flat irons, and they did turn out pretty darned good, with only a little salt & pepper on them. I'd certainly pick them up. According to him, it's the center muscle out of another primal (darn it, can't remember which, but up near the back,) and really has only been an available cut in recent years. If what he says is accurate, and you get a tough one, you didn't get a flat iron. Unfortunately, that's probably more typical than not.

The steaks that we got for dinner grilled quickly and simply. While I don't doubt these would be good in something like fajitas, I'd be quite happy just grilled off.

I don’t buy that it’s a recent cut, I remember hearing the name as a “butchers choice” cut years ago like thirty+ years ago. I think it’s just gaining some popularity.
I don’t like to disagree with you JKalchick but, I think it goes much farther back.

A college of mine praised the flat iron, great beef steak for less dinero. Although I have never tried one, I should. Thanks for bringing this cut to the front burner guys.

It’s part of the top blade, rather a pain to trim so they are not widely found, I might go see my butcher about one. He’s a nice guy!

Last edited:
I don’t buy that it’s a recent cut, I remember hearing the name as a “butchers choice” cut years ago like thirty+ years ago. I think it’s just gaining some popularity.
I don’t like to disagree with you JKalchick but, I think it goes much farther back.
I know that the one that I had was at a chain restaurant, (TGIFridays, Chilis, Chi Chi's ?) and was at least 20 years ago. Of course "recent" is relative I guess when talking about steak cuts.

I've done these a few times. It's known here as either featherblade, oyster or butler's steak, (chuck primal). They are very tasty, but easily ruined.
Do not cook more than medium rare. If you do, throw it away and chew your boot, it will more tender.

I've done these a few times. It's known here as either featherblade, oyster or butler's steak, (chuck primal).
A lot of these steak classifications are regional or what the meat processor/butcher uses.
I never heard of flat iron or hanger steak until a few years ago.
Now butler steak, my mom used to buy those back in the 60's.

I'm a fan. We are a family of three and I can usually find the perfect sized flat iron steak to feed us with no leftovers.

Thanks for all of the replies. I was planning on cooking one up tonight, but plans got changed due to my lack of understanding of my wife's power to change my schedule at will. I'll probably throw it on tomorrow night, if it comes out well, I'll post it here. If it doesn't turn out, I'll just tell you that it did and that I forgot to take pics. ;)

Charlie

It will be fine! Yes, spouses can change what plans may be carried out almost as swiftly as the dramatic storm front that switched a grill cook to a “sauté/roast” dinner which was fine but, not as planned.
Now,if the next couple of days cooperate, there will be a beautiful Salmon (if I can find a fillet) and a pork loin for feasting! Everything else is subject to the deliverance of the freezer! I really want to clear the damned thing out! Some will act as “Live ice” for transport tot he cottage but, it’s still bloody well full!

Finally got to cook it. Came out fantastic, but sorry, I forgot to take pics.

Just kidding. I started by putting it in a bag and adding Worcestershire sauce, a little soy sauce, and some Traeger Prime Rib rub. I've been using the Traeger rub on Tritip, and it's been awesome, figured it would work well on here. Only had it in the marinade for about an hour.

20210708_172447[1].jpg

Threw the Grill Grates in the Smokefire and cranked it up to 425F. Added a little more rub to each side before throwing it on and cooking for 2 minutes on each side twice. I was running Cabela's Competition Blend pellets, I believe that they are made by Lumberjack and are probably the same as the Weber Grillmaster Blend, at only $10 for 20#.

20210708_173756[1].jpg
Came out a nice medium rare, and delicious. Definitely see how this would be great on fajitas and such. I sliced it thin and slightly on a bias, but just ate it plain. Very tender and juicy.

20210708_174530[1].jpg

I really hadn't planned for sides, so I had a small bag of steak fries left in the freezer, tossed them in the fryer real quick. They went along very well with the steak strips.

20210708_174610[1].jpg

Definitely glad that I picked up this one and a few others that were on sale. Planning on doing another one real soon. Thanks for looking.

Charlie

That looks delicious Charlie. It does look different from flat iron steaks I cook regularly. The ones I buy at Safeway have the grain of muscle going through the length of the steak, instead of a transverse slice like yours. Where did you buy your steak? Also, I find flat irons to taste like liver (or metallic), which I enjoy. It is close to being my favorite steak.

Thank you for the kind words Donna. I got mine at Food Lion, but I have a Safeway nearby too, I'll have to check theirs out too and compare.

Charlie

You are welcome. The Grill Grates are unquestionably a great approach. I'd love to see you try the Safeway variety. It comes prepackaged. I might cook mine tonight. The nice thing is that I can buy it and let it wet age for a week or more until I'm ready to eat it.

Also, I find flat irons to taste like liver (or metallic), which I enjoy.
That is interesting. We were at a wedding a few weeks ago and you had of choice of beef medallions or chicken.
Half of us at the table ordered the beef and a few noticed the liver taste. I noticed mine more in the rarer ones then the med well ones and so did my Son. I like liver and so does my Son , but the others didn't like it as much.
Your post made me think about that, and I found this.
https://www.quora.com/Why-do-some-filet-steaks-taste-like-liver

Very interesting. I've never had liver, and always assumed that I wouldn't like it. The flat iron that I cooked was awesome though. Either I'm picking up on that particular flavor, or maybe I would like liver after all. :)

Got a properly butchered flat iron at Whole Foods the other day and it grilled up tender and delicious. Apparently, it takes some skill on the butcher's part to get the job done right. Did a quick dry-brine (5 hours) gave it a light coat of oil and S&P, cooked it over a medium hot fire with a little post oak added. It came out medium-rare and very satisfying. The bonus was that it cost just $8/pound.

Jeff

Back