Fire Starters - what are you using?

I used to use Weber starter cubes but get these at the local hardware store. Like them a lot.

Attachments

• A188D546-CECA-4112-851D-30B884234342.jpeg
    A188D546-CECA-4112-851D-30B884234342.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 21
I stopped using Weber's cubes because I didn't enjoy getting them out of the foil, and also didn't like the little flecks of white paraffin making a mess around my grill.

For me, the Weber cubes work the best by far. Nothing else I've tried lights as easily (one regular match will do it). Or sets up and burns as nicely and completely on a grate under a chimney. Seems like the exact right tool for the task.

To make them less messy/annoying, I take all of them out of the package at one time and keep in a zip lock bag.

I did that and failed to get the bag completely sealed and the cubes dried out. Were almost useless. There's a reason Weber puts them in the foil sealed packaging.

I use these Lightning Nugget fire starters https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KC009Y/?tag=tvwb-20

I have had them for over a year and still haven't gone through them. I use them to start campfires to if I don't have any newspaper. You can light these with a lighter but I usually use my torch to get it going faster. I feel like the price is very reasonable for 100 of them at only $32

The link takes you to a different thing for some reason. If you type in Lighting nuggets on amazon I'm sure you can find the one I was talking about.

Propane burner. Light, put chimney over it.
Why futz with anything else?

If you've got a cooker for boiling or frying large pots ouside..... You've got a great thing to light your chimney with.

If you've got a cooker for boiling or frying large pots ouside..... You've got a great thing to light your chimney with.
I use this method the most. Weber cubes or Tumble Weeds also work fine.

Most paper I’ve tried leaves too much burned paper blowing around after I dump the chimney .

I stopped using Weber's cubes because I didn't enjoy getting them out of the foil, and also didn't like the little flecks of white paraffin making a mess around my grill.

For me, the Weber cubes work the best by far. Nothing else I've tried lights as easily (one regular match will do it). Or sets up and burns as nicely and completely on a grate under a chimney. Seems like the exact right tool for the task.

To make them less messy/annoying, I take all of them out of the package at one time and keep in a zip lock bag.
I've used the Weber cubes for years. I actually break them in half and use them alone or with used newspaper in the Weber chimney.

Man, y'all must be able to buy newspaper cheap.

The lowest price deal I can get from our only print newspaper is $11 a month. For $11 I can buy 144 Rutland fire squares.
I use the grocery store ads I get in the mail, about once a week.

Cotton balls with a little coating of vasoline. If you're looking for a great way to start a fire that's reliable and cheap, look at how many cotton balls and a jar of vasoline you can get for just a few bucks.....
Tim
Would vegetable oil also work, instead of Vaseline?

You got to watch it when using a turkey fryer. I've done some serious damage to my Weber chimney using one.
User error on my part, should of only had it on for a few minutes.

I had a few sterno cans leftover from a party. Someone on the old board mentioned using them to light a chimney,, cheap and reusable.
I tried it once and it did work, but I was uneasy using a metal can with gelled fuel under a glowing red hot chimney. I had a few hot embers drop in and I thought I was making a napalm bomb.

Back