Fire Starters - what are you using?

John K BBQ

TVWBB All-Star
Tim's recent post on his neighbor's pyromania ( https://tvwbb.com/threads/nooooooooooooo.84490/#post-937201 ) gave me the idea for this post. I switched from using Weber's paraffin cubes for chimney lighting earlier this year to using these little "tumble weed" style lighters from Grill Trade. I stopped using Weber's cubes because I didn't enjoy getting them out of the foil, and also didn't like the little flecks of white paraffin making a mess around my grill.

I'm on my second box of these. These guys are slightly cheaper per unit than the Weber paraffin cubes, and have been working great for me. The box is a little flimsy but it would be easy enough to dump them all into a different container or storage bag. Some of the little shreds come off of the nuggets once in a while, but all in all I enjoy using these a lot more than the paraffin cubes.

Have you tried this projduct? If so, what do you think/? What are you using to light your chimney?

WIN_20201129_09_46_10_Pro.jpg

Man, y'all must be able to buy newspaper cheap.

The lowest price deal I can get from our only print newspaper is $11 a month. For $11 I can buy 144 Rutland fire squares.
My neighbor gets the Wall Street Journal free at work and brings it home for me to read. :) I'm way too cheap to subscribe.

Last edited:
Where are buying the Grill Trade tumble weeds? The lowest price I have seen is $19.99 for a box of 50. This is almost double the price of the Weber cubes on a cost per unit basis.

I like the Weber cubes but those little chunks of wax you get are a pain. For a little bit I couldn't find the Weber cubes and I bought some Royal Oak tumblweeds. Those seemed to work just as well.

I stopped using Weber's cubes because I didn't enjoy getting them out of the foil, and also didn't like the little flecks of white paraffin making a mess around my grill.

For me, the Weber cubes work the best by far. Nothing else I've tried lights as easily (one regular match will do it). Or sets up and burns as nicely and completely on a grate under a chimney. Seems like the exact right tool for the task.

To make them less messy/annoying, I take all of them out of the package at one time and keep in a zip lock bag.

The joy of having a performer with gas assist hooked to a 20# tank, which lasts about 2-2 1/2 years of lighting chimneys or baskets and cost less than $8.00 to refill at Costco.
I have a gas Performer as well and it works great. I use a chimney with the insert grate flipped over ... as shown below. Lights up well in very little time.

Jeff

Chimney flip by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

Back