Double smoked ham on 26 Kettle

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
In the category of " cleaning out the freezer to avoid going to the grocery store because I don't have a haz met suit " I put this small 5# ham on the 26 Kettle. I found it on sale just after Christmas and this was as good a time as any to smoke it.

20200422_140602.jpg

Also going through my rubs, I found some of Tuffy Stone's " Cool Smoke " rub that I'd used on a baby back rib cook a while back

20200422_141610.jpg

Put it on the 26 Kettle with 25 coals on each side and a small stick of hickory which turned out to be too many. I was shooting for 275 to 300* , I went well over that

20200422_143142.jpg

20200422_143500.jpg

Tried to cut down the air flow to lower the temp, but did not have much effect, just let it run. Probably should've used a snake.

I smoked it to 120* IT , then glazed with ...

1/2 cup honey
tbs brown sugar
tbs apple cider vinegar
2 tbs bourbon

When doing that , I scored the ham, first time I've done and was not too good with it, suppose to go 1/2" deep, I got carried away .

20200422_162845.jpg

But I was happy with the final product and Mrs Dollar and I will get quite a few meals out of this ham.

20200422_172631.jpg

20200422_180114.jpg

I hope you have some Swiss cheese, rye bread and mustard on hand - that ham has "sandwich" written all over it!

How tender was the ham?

I double smoked a Sugardale ham recently, with a pork butt underneath, using two sticks of Carolina hickory. The ham was sensational and very tender.

How tender was the ham?

I double smoked a Sugardale ham recently, with a pork butt underneath, using two sticks of Carolina hickory. The ham was sensational and very tender.

Rusty, tenderness was the problem I had with scoring the ham , :) , the knife slipped through it with extreme ease.

Did not realize my Smoke was so dirty, it gets used a lot o_O

Its been cleaned. One of my best barbecue purchases.

Really nice ham Lynn, looks perfect. I'd love to get a Smoke but with 5 working mavericks even one new in the box Barb would not be pleased.

Love to cook up a ham. Nice and easy. Sandwiches for days.
Two problems:
I really need a finishing sauce or something and did I mention sandwiches for days....

I hope you have some Swiss cheese, rye bread and mustard on hand - that ham has "sandwich" written all over it!

I can report that this ham was far far better on a sandwich, rather than on a plate.

It made the most delicous ham sandwiches, I may have ever have. I'm gonna do this again, soon .

Back