Don’t Know What Went Wrong Ribs

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Don’t know what happened but this was one of the worst cooks I’ve ever done. Did HH BBs on the performer. I’ve done these the same way four times before and had just excellent results.
This time the ribs were way over done very dry and tasted like a well done pork chop with BBQ sauce and to boot I cooked the pinto beans until tender like always and simmered on the gasser as always for one hour. They came out like BBQ pea gravel you could barely chew them they were so tuff.
The good thing is Barbs coleslaw came out great.
I thought I used the same amount of charcoal a full chimney but I’m now wondering if I should have used the small chimney instead of the large one.
But I can’t explain the beans.
Anyone out there that’s done HH BBs with any ideas please chime in.
DSCN1425_zpsvwqqdrjd.jpg

For the beans
DSCN1445_zpswev15ndt.jpg

DSCN1455_zpsargm10pr.jpg

DSCN1459_zpsoeae7gm5.jpg

DSCN1464_zps5ljuwgnc.jpg

Foiled with Brown sugar and apple juice
DSCN1469_zpseiukoxy6.jpg

Sauced
DSCN1473_zpskqzf0egd.jpg

DSCN1477_zpsuvej0o3o.jpg

DSCN1480_zpsqhfjnims.jpg

Thanks for taking a look.

Sorry you were so disappointed with your cook Rich. I've never done a HH rib cook. I know it's popular with some, but has never appealed to me. I enjoy low and slow and it's always been good to me. You'll nail it next time. BTW, the ribs look great, nicely presented.

Last edited:
Everything looks good Rich.
No help on what went wrong, maybe a bad slab of ribs, too lean, from an older hog, full moon ??

Well heck it still looks good!
I never tried Pintos for BBQ'd beans, just Northern's.

Tim

I have had this happen to me and couldn't figure it out. I did notice that sometimes loin back ribs can be really lean when they're really meaty like those. I thought mine were dry because I didn't use water in the pan for the first time, but later I noticed that they were really meaty with a large piece of lean meat on top with almost no fat. I try not to pick the super meaty ones because that is really the only time I have run into dry ribs using the same methods I always do.

Too much heat on the ribs and not enough on the beans? Could you have had a problem with wind?

Anyone out there that’s done HH BBs with any ideas please chime in
DSCN1480_zpsqhfjnims.jpg
They almost look under done Rich. Did they come off the bone clean, or did the meat stick to the bone some?

If it helps, they don't look bad, they look good

I have never done HH BB's but do want to try. I was thinking what Bob said that maybe it was just a bad rack. I understand it happenes.

Rich, I have had some ribs come out that way. Bob is right, could have been the hog. Your pictures looks really great though.

They almost look under done Rich. Did they come off the bone clean, or did the meat stick to the bone some?

If it helps, they don't look bad, they look good

That is what I was thinking, too. In the first sliced picture, there is a lot of juice on those ribs, and I would expect to see more bone exposed. Unless it was just the loin portion of the ribs that was dry, which I can envision.

Didn't want to bump my post up, but seeing it was at the top I'll take the time to say thank all of you for your comments and suggestions. I was really surprised it was that bad but now I'm thinking it was a combination of to much heat and possibly the ribs themselves being older or just tuff.
I'll just get back in the saddle and try again.

I was thinking Rich, Uh oh, were these ribs from your famous (infamous?) Dogfood Section of your store? :D

I wish that was the case, but those were from Costco. That's the only place I get my BBs from now for the reason you mentioned. But who knows.

Every once in a while I'll have a cook that is so bad I wonder if I know at all what I'm doing. Your ribs look great to me, though!

Upon further review, there doesn't seem to be a hole lot of pull back on those ribs, and some shinny fatty bits that I think should have rendered ( third rib down from the top.) So, perhaps under cooked? I say you should make more, and send them to me for further testing. :cool:

Back