Curb Alert !!!

Yeah - I've got a Spirit/Silver A listed and I'm kinda bummed I haven't gotten any response.... :(
Good deals though. At least we can take advantage which ever way the market swings. I actually scored a Genesis 1000 and a Genesis 1200 skyline in Washington while I've been in Arizona. Paid through app so now I have to pick them up when I get back. I'm pretty good on my supply of 1000s now. Wish I could bring a couple Juniors back with me And a green lid.

Hope the right person will see that spirit and grab it. Where all do you have it posted? For sale? Sometimes if I don't have luck on Offerup, FB or CL I use an app called Nextdoor and I've had luck. Doesn't hurt to try.

Last edited:
Josh, they are not generally consider "good" cookers. Many say that is the reason they didn't last all that long in production. I do think there is actually a video on here of Jon Cooking on a Genesis Jr at our Midwest Weber grill meet from a few years ago. It cooked burgers just fine that day. I heard no complaints.

Josh, they are not generally consider "good" cookers. Many say that is the reason they didn't last all that long in production. I do think there is actually a video on here of Jon Cooking on a Genesis Jr at our Midwest Weber grill meet from a few years ago. It cooked burgers just fine that day. I heard no complaints.

Thanks Bruce!
I definitely want to restore at least one of them so I'll just give it a test run then and see how I like it compared to a 1000. I think from now on I will always have a 1000 or 2000 but maybe a JR to keep around also.

Sure Josh. I think a Jr would be a great add to your old timer lineup. Just keep in mind the parts are very hard to come by, so make sure the grill you find to rehab is complete and in good shape. Even burners and flavo bars are unique and not readily available. I think the grates are the same as Genesis 1000 grills but not as wide. Modifying a set for 1000 grills is a likely solution. I think one list member actually modified a few sets of Genesis 1000 burners and still has some available. I am not sure if flavo bars can be adapted from a Genesis 1000 or not.
@Jon Tofte likely has some parts he would be willing to sell you.

For a lot of decks across the USA, a Two burner Spirit is more than enough grill for 95% of their grilling needs.
Easier on fuel and take up considerably less deck space as well.
That is exactly what I have found - the other 5% (ok, maybe a little more) is on the kettle or WSM. But you still have to keep a B around 'just in case'.....

Sure Josh. I think a Jr would be a great add to your old timer lineup. Just keep in mind the parts are very hard to come by, so make sure the grill you find to rehab is complete and in good shape. Even burners and flavo bars are unique and not readily available. I think the grates are the same as Genesis 1000 grills but not as wide. Modifying a set for 1000 grills is a likely solution. I think one list member actually modified a few sets of Genesis 1000 burners and still has some available. I am not sure if flavo bars can be adapted from a Genesis 1000 or not.
I have looked into it quite a bit and think I got it covered. Ideally I would buy a couple of them though. I can get custom burners on Etsy and RCplanebuyer sells flavorizer bars for them. As far as the grates I would plan on probably making them custom from a pair of summit SS grates. Or similar. I've got the measurements worked out.

My thought on the Jr, without actually cooking on one yet (mine is all apart right now) is that the burners are a little too far apart. This doesn't mean it's a bad grill - just that there could be a bit of a "dead" spot in the middle. The cookbox is the same size front-to-back as a 1000 and it's missing the center burner. So, I imagine it would cook about the same as a 1000 if you don't light the center burner.

A Spirit 500 (or a Silver A) only has two burners but the cookbox is rectangular and the ratio between the heated and unheated space is a lot more uniform. This makes the 500 and Silver A nice cookers.

I think Hank has been cooking on his newly restored Jr and maybe he will let us know how it's been doing. He did a fabulous job on it.

I totally love the Jr. I think it's a great piece of Weber history and it's cute as can be. I drove a long way to get mine (and it's not in that great of condition). That said, I do think the burner placement is probably less than optimal.

My thought on the Jr, without actually cooking on one yet (mine is all apart right now) is that the burners are a little too far apart. This doesn't mean it's a bad grill - just that there could be a bit of a "dead" spot in the middle. The cookbox is the same size front-to-back as a 1000 and it's missing the center burner. So, I imagine it would cook about the same as a 1000 if you don't light the center burner.

A Spirit 500 (or a Silver A) only has two burners but the cookbox is rectangular and the ratio between the heated and unheated space is a lot more uniform. This makes the 500 and Silver A nice cookers.

I think Hank has been cooking on his newly restored Jr and maybe he will let us know how it's been doing. He did a fabulous job on it.

I totally love the Jr. I think it's a great piece of Weber history and it's cute as can be. I drove a long way to get mine (and it's not in that great of condition). That said, I do think the burner placement is probably less than optimal.
Just a guess but I feel like the burner placement would not be an issue at all because of the two rows of flavorizer bars in both directions dispersing the heat evenly across the grill. This is just my guess though. I haven't cooked on one.

Flavorizer bars from a 1000 will work. You just need to cut down the five long bars to fit. And it only uses five short bars (instead of eight like a 1000). Cooking grates from a 1000 can be cut down but I think Hank found that grates from some other (newer) grill fit without modification.

Burner tubes need to be shortened (as you mentioned, someone here had done up a few sets) but the crossover tube is the same as a 1000.

Someone on here actually modified a Jr to accept a Genesis 1000 manifold and three burners if I recall correctly. As far as I know it turned out just fine, but I think the BTU output was pretty high so temps could get out of hand if it wasn't monitored well.
I remember seeing that thread. I'm pretty sure the manifold is the same as a Genesis 1 and just has a plug installed where the center valve would go. If I recall, the distance from the valves to the cookbox is the same as a Genesis 1. Where they shortened the the control panel is on the other side of the knobs - basically they chopped off the section that has the igniter button.

Back