First Annual TVWBB Upper Midwest Meet is a GO

I took some photos at the meet and tried to post a few from my phone. That never seems to work too well for me. So, now that I am at home, here are many of the photos I took.

Disclaimer: If I post up any inaccurate info or incorrect names, I appologize in advance. You can shoot me later, but right now, just give me credit for trying.

James showed us all how to do three racks of ribs and pork chops and sausages all at once on a 18" WSM.
20210619_115156.jpg
James has a cool artistic talent. This airbrush was done by him.
20210619_115208.jpg
James Villa, his wife Alex and Lisa Schafer. I can't make out the person next to Lisa (Maybe Jon Tofte)
What I couldn't understand was Alex has a N.O. Saints pop up tent but is wearing a LV Raiders hat.
20210619_115243.jpg
The picnic pavilion and Mark Maetzold and Dan Haggerty setting up their parts for the Parts Swap on the left
20210619_115248.jpg
James Villa serving up his authentic Mexican food. Grilled Arrachera. I guess it is grilled skirt steak on mini tortillas with a dollop of Guacamole. I have to tell you, these things were awesome. I guess they are commonly eaten with Pico De Guillo or Salsa as well. I am gonna try my hand at all three.
20210619_115757.jpg
Alex brought his new Weber Traveler grill and is busy cooking up some more Grilled Arrachera. He was having a hard time keeping up. James Jackson getting ready to take his own photo.
20210619_122950.jpg
Jon Tofte brought his CharQ. It was the first time many had ever seen one and probably the first time some had ever even heard of them.
20210619_123013.jpg
Brats and Burgers on the CharQ. Jon getting ready to do a little flipping.
20210619_123015.jpg
We also had a Q200 on hand to do a side by side comparison with the CharQ.
20210619_123030.jpg
And Jon got a couple racks of St Louis Cut ribs going on his new Weber Kettle.
20210619_123217.jpg
You can taste the smoke coming off that CharQ as Jon is flipping the burgers and brats.
20210619_123302.jpg
Are they done yet?
20210619_123308.jpg
Jon watching on as Mike Lang and Gerry Schafer discuss the Weber Genesis Jr. What? Weber Genesis Jr? Yah, another blast from the Weber past. Built in the later 1980's, it was a two burner that didn't have a very long production run but is now what we refer to as a "Unicorn" in the Weber world. They are said to suffer from poor performance, but it sure did a great job churning out burgers, brats and sausages for us.
20210619_123356.jpg
Her Jon is showing the grill and explaining the great condition of this specimen.
20210619_123410.jpg
Sure looks like it is good functioning gas grill to me. Sausages and burgers are ready. You can see Jon also brought his "Grill Grates" on the right and put in a set of RCPlanebuyer grates on the left to do a side by side comparison. I am not sure what the final verdict was on that.
20210619_123459.jpg
Lunch time for Gerry Schafer and his wife Lisa on the left. Alex Han, Dan Haggerty and Mark Maetzold on the right.
20210619_124801.jpg
Jon Tofte draining Weber knowledge from Mike Lang. Mike was a wealth of knowledge on the Weber company and their newer grills. He was also the official photographer/videographer for the meet and was sent by Weber.
20210619_124808.jpg
Someone brought some cubed watermelon. It was gone so fast that I never got a bite. I had to settle for a couple of the ribs. I am not sure if they were Jon's or James's, but they were good.
20210619_131937.jpg
View of the pavillion and most of the attendees sitting down for lunch and some great conversation.
20210619_132004.jpg

Attachments

• 20210619_115753.jpg
    20210619_115753.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 8
I was hoping to have brought some goods from my guy at “Youze guys” like this,1D76ECFA-C2D3-4463-9A5C-1AE71A6CBAE4.jpeg
Originally, I was going to bring them, then I was going to ship them to Bruce but, family stuff got in the way! So, I enjoyed this last night and felt bad about not getting some to you all!

Well, that certainly would have been a welcome addition to our meals at the Grill Meet. I will be looking forward to some at next year's meet.

Larry,
We sure would have enjoyed having your there. I was looking forward to a primer on LP/NG conversions with our #1 teacher! It was a hard year to plan, but next year will hopefully be a lot easier. Our goal is to nail down a time way in advance so people will have enough notice to make plans to include it in their busy schedules.

Help! Lost my Slow N Sear!

I brought my new custom crimson MasterTouch kettle to our meet, including a Slow N Sear I used in making ribs.
69A43114-DD50-49A1-A615-12B5F0D4DC3E.jpeg

Somehow it seems my Slow N Sear didn’t make it home. Anybody that stayed to the end remember seeing it? I am afraid it may gotten left in one of those fixed grills we used to dispose of hot charcoal.

If anyone remembers seeing it could you please let me know?

Help! Lost my Slow N Sear!

I brought my new custom crimson MasterTouch kettle to our meet, including a Slow N Sear I used in making ribs.
View attachment 31382

Somehow it seems my Slow N Sear didn’t make it home. Anybody that stayed to the end remember seeing it? I am afraid it may gotten left in one of those fixed grills we used to dispose of hot charcoal.

If anyone remembers seeing it could you please let me know?

Sorry to hear Jon, I really hope you get it back

As you know we were the last to leave, sorry but I didn't check the fixed grill. We did walk around and nothing was left laying on the ground.

I just went to the park on the off chance it was still there. It isn’t. I also went to the park office to see if there was a lost and found but no joy there either. Sorry
Gerry

Hmm, those Slow and Sear deals are the half moon shaped things for coals ehhhh.

Wow, I just looked on Amazon for the price of those things. They are over $100. That is crazy. Seems like another grill part that someone could make some money fabbing up in their garage or work shop. I am sorry to hear that you lost yours.

Jon,
Lisa says check inside that little white charcoal q. She thinks you stuffed things in there. She’s pretty sure you didn’t leave it behind.
I can imagine it is easy to miss that small piece in the seven tons of stuff you brought back to Indiana!
Gerry

Thanks, Gerry! It isn't in there now, but it is not out of the question that I stuck it somewhere stupid in my wreck of a garage or my shop, in my efforts to get my van emptied out when I got home. I hope I didn't leave it at the campground where Bruce and I stayed, because I emptied and reloaded my van that night to be ready to leave the next morning.

Mine was the "original" which has now been marked down to $69 on Amazon since they have a newer version out which gets $109.

Jon, When we left, our camp site was clear. You piled your stuff outside the van right where I would have hooked up and pulled the trailer over. Unless you stuck it in some really obscure place, it wasn't left on the camp site. I vote for inside a cooler or a kettle or some other grill part.
I do hope you wind up finding it. Are those things basically the same as those two coal things that were in that gas assist performer I rehabbed?

Hi again everyone. Mike Lang, the photographer rep from Weber is asking that anyone that attended the grill meet to provide their Facebook and Instagram handles so that they can be tagged with that information in their photos. It is completely voluntary and if you would like to provide that information, you can contact Mike privately via the forum message system: https://tvwbb.com/members/mike-lang.25475/

If I already contacted you and you responded to me already, there is not need to contact Mike. I have already forwarded that info.
Thanks everyone, enjoy the rest of this summer.
Bruce.

And a follow-up, I've posted all of the pictures through creative commons licensing, so feel free to download and use them as you'd like!

Back