First Annual TVWBB Upper Midwest Meet is a GO

I can't tell you how much fun I had meeting everyone and documenting the day. Knowing this forum for so long, the amount of enthusiasm, passion, and knowledge did not disappoint. I'll post a link to the photos soon. Until then, here's the group. I can't wait for next year. I really think you are on to something! Thanks for welcoming me.

Cheers!
Mike

TVWBB Meetup Group-20210619-E82A1452-1.jpg

Mike, thank you much for the group photo. I have been looking forward to that one and an anxious to see the rest of your footage when you get it posted.

The rest of the group and I are so happy that Weber sent you out. It was just awesome meeting and talking with you and to have some one experienced to be able to document the whole thing the way you did.

Would be nice for a Mouseketeer sound off on the picture, I though it was Jon in red, and Bruce the “stocky” guy but, who else? Left to right?

Sorry Gerry.
First, I blame the photo editing program. When I switched to the color for the lines, it inadvertently changed the color of the last name that I had entered. Second off, I am color blind and didn't notice it. It was not intentional.

Lastly, Sometimes I wish I could misspell my last name.

Great people on this forum. Forgot to get a copy of Lang's book.
Tony,
We were so glad you were able to attend, and, of course, we sure didn't mind you bringing that awesome dessert!!! :coolkettle:

I am sure if you email Mike he will get you a signed book. I don't even drink beer, but I bought one from him:LOL:! He was a great and informative guest and has closer ties to, and knows a lot more about, Weber than we had anticipated.

Yah, I asked Mike about his book and while some of the recipes incorporate beer, it sounds like a lot or most of them don't actually have beer in them. If I recall correctly, it is more about the length of the cook, as in one beer cook, two beer cook or a six pack cook.

I did post a link to his website where I am sure you can purchase the book there, but you might have to contact him directly to get it signed.

Mike Lang Website

Contact Form

Last edited:
Yes, one beer cooks, short enough for any day, tasty enough to impress.

Def ordering one. Just frustrated I did not grab it right there.

No beer for me either. So fast cooks are okay. But I still love to tend the cook and all. In fact for faux father's day, my gift was to cook for them. Hmmm. But it is something we all love to do. Now if only Weber would combine a cook top and a swimmming pool. For me I would be set

I want to thank Jon and Bruce for taking the leap, organizing this event, and seeing it through to a successful conclusion! And thanks to everyone that attended, I hope everyone truly had a good time. And an extra special thanks to @Mike Lang who flew in from Ohio to be a special guest! Here's hoping for more of these events in the future!

Chris,

I know I can speak for Bruce as well in saying that we both GREATLY appreciated your encouragement and support, including providing us with some awesome door prizes! Our first year attendees all went home with something nice, a fitting "thank you" to them for helping make our first Upper Midwest Meet a very fun and rewarding day. Bruce and I also really enjoyed and appreciated your video in support of the event. We are on board to start planning a bigger and even better TVWBB Upper Midwest Meet 2.0 for next year!

Since the concept is now proven, we would love to see other locations - such as, but not at all limited to, the Northeast, California and the South - have similar meets. It sure makes a special difference to now have spent time in person with the people we share with on-line!

@Jon Tofte , I wanted to give you an update on your ribs. They were a BIG hit with the wifey. She said she's normally not a rib person, but they were the best that she's ever had.

I'm trying to warm her up to the idea of attending TVWBB Upper Midwest Meet 2.0, just for the food.

Also, after tasting food off the CharQ / Weber Kettle, I'm keeping my eye out for a charcoal grill. Wife hasn't said no, but hasn't said yes. So it's a start. Trying to find a Master Touch / Older Performer with Stainless Steel top. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
I want to thank Jon and Bruce for taking the leap, organizing this event, and seeing it through to a successful conclusion! And thanks to everyone that attended, I hope everyone truly had a good time. And an extra special thanks to @Mike Lang who flew in from Ohio to be a special guest! Here's hoping for more of these events in the future!
Chris, thank you, but this was really a group effort and without the outside support and especially the great group of people that attended, it would not have been a success. You, Thermoworks, Mike Lang, Weber and everyone that showed up and helped out or donated money all made it what it was. It not only made this year's initial meet a success, but gives a great foundation to build on for next year's event.
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE INVOLVED.

I too would like to thank Chris and Jon for the tremendous effort and cost they put through. Success. Now the proven concept can expand in size, scope, and locations.

I would like to to thank Jon, Bruce, and Chris for encouraging me to attend! I was on the bubble because I had another event to be at 50 miles away that afternoon, but since I live close enough I reached out to them last minute and they said at least stop by for a bit to shake a few hands and grab a quick bite. I made a plan to get there early to smoke some ribs, and ended up staying about 5 hours! So glad I did! Once again it was great meeting all of you there in attendance!

Back