Curb Alert !!!

I love our Jr, and prefer to use it rather than a 3burner when cooking for just the two of us. I don’t see a big difference in warmup time, perhaps because its cube shape is more thermally efficient than that of the longer 3burners. And, indirect heating in the middle is always present.
What I didn't like about it was that there were no casters *about to be corrected, and the virtual impossibility of raising and lowering the swing table because of propane tank interference (corrected by using the slider setup available on most x000s by the mid 90s. It really wasn't easy to use...

Perhaps this one nonfeature was a big contributor to its discontinuance by Weber so early. Otherwise, it is the only 2burner with 2 rows of flavorizer bars, which I really strongly prefer in my corral.

I have a posting which describes most of what I did with it: https://tvwbb.com/threads/junior-xxi-progress-documentation.96732/#post-1124064
Thank you for sharing Hank!! I see you did a small table on the left side. I haven't seen that done before but that's something that I've been wanting to incorporate in a JR. Also a half swing table on the left side to match. I'd like to change out the left side frame bottom for one with casters also. I already have a right side slide assembly that I could put on that swing table.

Sure Josh. I think a Jr would be a great add to your old timer lineup. Just keep in mind the parts are very hard to come by, so make sure the grill you find to rehab is complete and in good shape. Even burners and flavo bars are unique and not readily available. I think the grates are the same as Genesis 1000 grills but not as wide. Modifying a set for 1000 grills is a likely solution. I think one list member actually modified a few sets of Genesis 1000 burners and still has some available. I am not sure if flavo bars can be adapted from a Genesis 1000 or not.
@Jon Tofte likely has some parts he would be willing to sell you.

It is easy to cut down a set of X000 grates, but I used a set from a later spirit, I think for my Jr. They were cheaper and I didn't want to spoil a set from an X000, etc. if I didn't have to....
My best grate option right now is 3/8 SS out of a newer rotted out summit. They come up for free often near me. I'd have to cut them down both directions but they would definitely work great.

My best grate option right now is 3/8 SS out of a newer rotted out summit. They come up for free often near me. I'd have to cut them down both directions but they would definitely work great.
I have used a couple of 3rd generation Summit grates for Genesis grills and one short piece on my 1st generation Summit to go along with the Crafte Kitchen set up. Like you said, you just have to cut them off a bit.

Crafted Kitchen Underneath Setup.jpeg

I just talked to

Dave Santana/"rcplanebuyer"​

He said

"Hello Josh, thank you for asking. I regret to inform you that I am not building grates at this time. The company that used to cut my bars for me in bulk went out of business. It looks like I have found a new source, but I am so busy right now I won't be starting again until the fall at the earliest.
I will put your name on a list for when and if I start up again.
RC"

"Hi Josh,
One of the reasons I am hesitant to build grates again is due to the high prices I will have to charge to make my margin.
Lots of people Have inquired about grates but, I've kept a list of names, but I am wondering how may will want to pay what I have to charge.
I should be able to sell 9930 grates directly for about $185.00. Bigger sets will be over $200.00 plus shipping.
Dave"

If anyone else is interested in getting grates from Dave get on his list. If he gets enough inquiries he'll start making them again.

Last edited:
I just snagged this one! A surprise for the 4th. Arranged to pick it up tomorrow.
Looks like an easy flipper as long as I don't try to add it to the herd....

View attachment 95034

Well --- I went and picked up this grill today and its in a bit ruffer shape than what I had hoped -- CI grates in ruff shape (but somewhat useable) - flavor bars have a few holes but still useable - base of cabinet has rust starting but still solid..... Better shape than what you'd expect for free, but still less than ideal. I think I'll have to 'fire sale' cheap just to get rid of it somewhat quickly.

On the up side --- it came with a FULL propane tank (at least a full exchange -- I think he actually refilled!) and a great condition cover!!! The full tank of propane basically paid for my gas to pick it up, so I figure I'm already ahead.

I just went out and inspected more closely now that its cooled off (it was a blistering 85+ out there earlier!!!) and I have to say ---- even tho it is in somewhat ruff shape --- at least the guy CLEANED it for me!!!! Most FREE grills are just a mess with grease/mold/ick..... I could scrub this one a bit but it wouldn't change much. Best plan is to list it cheap with links to parts that it 'should' have and the price that I 'would have put on it had I replaced them' and let someone else foot the bill for the parts instead of me doing it and trying to get the $ back.

Pretty cool tho --- the guy was just REALLY NICE!!!!! Giving me a FULL tank was just so killer.... I was surprised that he was just so enamored with my trailer ---- we sat and chatted about trailers for a good 20-30 minutes - I tried to give him some good advice as to what to look for when buying a trailer and what to pay attention to. I'm pretty sure we both made out good on this meeting. I paid $1200 for my little 4x6 trailer back in 2003 ---- I'm pretty sure if I would have asked for $2500 for it from him he would have taken it in a heartbeat.

Anyone have any idea how old this Smokey Joe might be? Offset handle attached to top vent.

View attachment 95192
I had one bought in 81 or 82 that had a standard handle, so older than that?

That one has the old style legs that attached with wing nuts.

Edit here's history

Noted as Silver edition. Which was not released yet, showing 2 kind of grates (including both?), re the 5 bars. I modded my grills to 5 bar. Had custom VERY heavy gauge 304SS bars made taller, and only used one layer. Advantages of the deep box and advantages of single row (better overall performance) faster flame response.
Don't know where those bars came from. They look taller than the stock ones. so would be interesting to find out if an aftermarket company is making them. Though those did not look as heavy gauge as mine are

Back