Curb Alert !!!

Yeah the Jr was one of those slightly misguided efforts on Weber's part like the gas kettle. But the older Spirit A or 500? Excellent little grills. Fantastic cookers. Plus they could use the rotisserie from what I consider a "real" Genesis. Truly great little appliances

Yeah the Jr was one of those slightly misguided efforts on Weber's part like the gas kettle. But the older Spirit A or 500? Excellent little grills. Fantastic cookers. Plus they could use the rotisserie from what I consider a "real" Genesis. Truly great little appliances
So would you say the JR isn't a great cooker? I would have guessed that it would do better than the other two burner grills considering it had two rows of flavorizer bars to help it better distribute the heat across the entire cooking surface. I have no experience with it so my thoughts on it are only speculation.

Not really. The Spirit 500/Silver A had the advantage of having a few more BTU per sq in, and tighter spacing (front to rear) and quite honestly the single row worked great on those

Good to know. Thank you for sharing that information! I appreciate it. I'll definitely take that in consideration in deciding weather to get one to go with my 2000 and 1000s.

Larry, I think Weber actually made a rotisserie for the JR. If I am not mistaken, one of the Jr's that I gave him had a roto on it.

@Steve Hoch
This one looks like it has a pair of 9930s?
If I can get it for $50 that would be worth it for those grates.
A pair of those grates sell for $350 on Amazon. I think I bought the last fairy reasonable priced pair available.

I could even clean this one up a bit and throw a pair of my old grates in it and resell it.

Weber Summit Platinum D4 Gas Grill

Last edited:
I was gonna send you that one.... but I figured you had already seen it --- surprised it took this long......
Maybe you just realized it had good grates on it.....
That actually looks like a summit that may be in really good condition.

But something in the pic is making the grates look wonky.....

Last edited:
Yeah I didn't catch it until 4 hours after it was listed. I must be slacking LOL

Those grates are pretty invincible. I would say they're just sitting in there crooked

Last edited:
@Steve Hoch
This one looks like it has a pair of 9930s?
If I can get it for $50 that would be worth it for those grates.
A pair of those grates sell for $350 on Amazon. I think I bought the last fairy reasonable priced pair available.

I could even clean this one up a bit and throw a pair of my old grates in it and resell it.

Weber Summit Platinum D4 Gas Grill
Ask them if they have the smoke box section of the grate unless you don't care about it.

Ooh perfect!
I was getting nervous that the ones I just bought wouldn't fit them.

I think I'll gamble and let that one sit for sale for a bit before I low ball them. Maybe like mid to late next week. I already have two to pick up early in the week.

What's scrap value for one of those?
You might get about $70 dollars for a 200 lb grill after putting in about 2 hours of hard work

I scrap out a couple of 304 stainless grills per year. If the parts are too much to buy or I can’t wholesale it to a high end grill restorer, time to scrap. It’s a lot of work to get it clean. Probably the most difficult common item to scrap. Much easier to deal with regular iron, copper, aluminum, brass, motors, wire, etc

First thing you have to access to a knowledgeable scrap dealer in a metropolitan area with a scanner or enough experience to pull out a grinder and see if the stainless generates sparks or not. The average Joe uses a magnet only and gets a faint magnetic signal and immediately declares it iron or worse irony mixed metal and gives you 8 cents a pound.

To sell scrap stainless at the best price it has to be completely separated from ferrous metals and contaminants like wood and plastic. It doesn’t have to be shiny but an inch of grill crud will negatively affect the stainless price you get.

What people don’t realize is casters, draw slides, manifolds, hinges, lid liners many of the fasteners are all iron on their fancy super premium stainless grill. All of those have to separated to get clean stainless.

Stainless is much harder than mild steel and difficult to cut. With stainless you get a strong galvanic reaction with iron making the fasteners difficult to remove.

So before chopping the grill up check to see if it’s got salvageable cooking grids like 9mm or other parts. Carefully check the burners to see if they are brass. Check the valves and gas distribution fittings to see if they are all brass which is becoming less common. If you got a bunch of brass or salvageable items it might make sense to pull those out and just get rid of the rest.

So after hopefully not much work.

Clean 304 stainless is about 35 cents a pound

Clean 316 stainless is about 50 cents a pound

Dirty stainless - about 5% contamination is about 1/3 the price of clean

Irony - mixed stainless with more than 5% contamination - about 8 cents a pound

Sorry, guys. I have had company and been offline most of the time.

I do have an original Jr. (actually a Genesis XX - note the early tank gauge and black knobs) thanks to Bruce and his sister in Minneapolis. It can cook just fine, but I think you would want it for the history and uniqueness rather than for its cooking prowess. This one still had the owner's manual and even a rotisserie. I haven't tried the rotisserie, but I think the deep firebox and well separated burners would make for a good combination with a rotisserie.

Jr From Bruce.jpeg

Cooking on a Jr..JPG

Sorry, guys. I have had company and been offline most of the time.

I do have an original Jr. (actually a Genesis XX - note the early tank gauge and black knobs) thanks to Bruce and his sister in Minneapolis. It can cook just fine, but I think you would want it for the history and uniqueness rather than for its cooking prowess. This one still had the owner's manual and even a rotisserie. I haven't tried the rotisserie, but I think the deep firebox and well separated burners would make for a good combination with a rotisserie.

View attachment 95111

View attachment 95110
Thank you very much for sharing Jon! I appreciate the input

My thought on the Jr, without actually cooking on one yet (mine is all apart right now) is that the burners are a little too far apart. This doesn't mean it's a bad grill - just that there could be a bit of a "dead" spot in the middle. The cookbox is the same size front-to-back as a 1000 and it's missing the center burner. So, I imagine it would cook about the same as a 1000 if you don't light the center burner.

A Spirit 500 (or a Silver A) only has two burners but the cookbox is rectangular and the ratio between the heated and unheated space is a lot more uniform. This makes the 500 and Silver A nice cookers.

I think Hank has been cooking on his newly restored Jr and maybe he will let us know how it's been doing. He did a fabulous job on it.

I totally love the Jr. I think it's a great piece of Weber history and it's cute as can be. I drove a long way to get mine (and it's not in that great of condition). That said, I do think the burner placement is probably less than optimal.
I love our Jr, and prefer to use it rather than a 3burner when cooking for just the two of us. I don’t see a big difference in warmup time, perhaps because its cube shape is more thermally efficient than that of the longer 3burners. And, indirect heating in the middle is always present.
What I didn't like about it was that there were no casters *about to be corrected, and the virtual impossibility of raising and lowering the swing table because of propane tank interference (corrected by using the slider setup available on most x000s by the mid 90s. It really wasn't easy to use...

Perhaps this one nonfeature was a big contributor to its discontinuance by Weber so early. Otherwise, it is the only 2burner with 2 rows of flavorizer bars, which I really strongly prefer in my corral.

I have a posting which describes most of what I did with it: https://tvwbb.com/threads/junior-xxi-progress-documentation.96732/#post-1124064

Back