Curb Alert !!!

You’re going to have to settle for just a truck on this one. Arrangements were made yesterday and the grill is coming home with me this weekend.

View attachment 78655
That's great Tom, I know I have never seen another one like it. I hope you will bring back a good story and post some pictures of it up. Oh, don't forget to ask for the owners manual! I know sometimes I forget about that. You don't always get one but it doesn't hurt to ask.

I saw that, but I didn't look carefully enough at the lid.
I had wondered why someone would give away a red lid, and keep a black one.

I made the run to Binghamton and back this morning to pick up the coffee lid grill. Traffic was light and I made good time at 4.5hrs round trip. The grill is as good as I could’ve hoped for. Date code EE so it’s a 1999. The drip tray alone is worth the cost of what I paid for the grill with the way the market is going on those. The control panel is probably the best condition example I have ever come across on a grill of this age and I am fortunate enough to have a new igniter button and bezel on hand to replace the missing one. The casters were a bit of a surprise and actually roll quite well but I’ll be replacing them anyways. I’ve already made the decision to stray from originality with this grill. I don’t care for the black Durawood so I’ll swap that for mahogany treated with beeswax and Dave Santana stainless z-brackets. The cook box and shroud cap will be blasted and painted and the frame will be prepped and painted as well. And, with apologies to @Jon Tofte, it’ll be getting the stainless hardware treatment on the shroud end caps, too. From there, it’ll be the usual new SS flavor bars & burners and I’m leaning hard towards cast iron grates on this one. I don’t know how many grills is too many, but I’m certain I crossed that threshold a long time ago so it’ll have to go off to a new home from there.IMG_0338.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0336.jpeg
    IMG_0336.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0337.jpeg
    IMG_0337.jpeg
    268.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0335.jpeg
    IMG_0335.jpeg
    248 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0339.jpeg
    IMG_0339.jpeg
    271.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0340.jpeg
    IMG_0340.jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 21
Not really a curb alert but saw a really neat kettle today for sale. It was at the Brimfield, MA antiques flea market. It was robin's egg blue (powder blue, or as the guy called it, Tiffany blue), had lower daisy wheel vents, thumb screw legs, and round steel handles on the bowl - overall in great shape. The guy said he "looked it up online" and said it was from the 1960's. He wanted $1200 for it. At that price I did not get to see if it would fit in a Prius:ROFLMAO:
OK, I went back to the fair, managed to find the kettle again, and I took pictures. I asked the guy if he would mind my posting them here and he didn't mind. I told him, "you never know, one of the guys on the forum might decide to buy it". I have his email address if there is any interest in the grill. Very cool old kettle...

Attachments

• IMG_20230908_105137592.jpg
    IMG_20230908_105137592.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20230908_105156399.jpg
    IMG_20230908_105156399.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20230908_105210832.jpg
    IMG_20230908_105210832.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20230908_105223373.jpg
    IMG_20230908_105223373.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 21
I made the run to Binghamton and back this morning to pick up the coffee lid grill. Traffic was light and I made good time at 4.5hrs round trip. The grill is as good as I could’ve hoped for. Date code EE so it’s a 1999. The drip tray alone is worth the cost of what I paid for the grill with the way the market is going on those. The control panel is probably the best condition example I have ever come across on a grill of this age and I am fortunate enough to have a new igniter button and bezel on hand to replace the missing one. The casters were a bit of a surprise and actually roll quite well but I’ll be replacing them anyways. I’ve already made the decision to stray from originality with this grill. I don’t care for the black Durawood so I’ll swap that for mahogany treated with beeswax and Dave Santana stainless z-brackets. The cook box and shroud cap will be blasted and painted and the frame will be prepped and painted as well. And, with apologies to @Jon Tofte, it’ll be getting the stainless hardware treatment on the shroud end caps, too. From there, it’ll be the usual new SS flavor bars & burners and I’m leaning hard towards cast iron grates on this one. I don’t know how many grills is too many, but I’m certain I crossed that threshold a long time ago so it’ll have to go off to a new home from there.View attachment 78729
Wow, so glad someone here got this grill. Nice!!

OK, I went back to the fair, managed to find the kettle again, and I took pictures. I asked the guy if he would mind my posting them here and he didn't mind. I told him, "you never know, one of the guys on the forum might decide to buy it". I have his email address if there is any interest in the grill. Very cool old kettle...
Yep it’s a Glen Blue. From roughly 1962. Yes I’m interested but I can’t right now. Ugh, she’s a beaut!

Yep it’s a Glen Blue. From roughly 1962. Yes I’m interested but I can’t right now. Ugh, she’s a beaut!
Are those wheels original? I think they are steel rims. And, check out the steel hub "push nuts". The lid handle is clearly not like the "normal" wooden ones and almost looked home made to me? Maybe it is original? Bottom wire rack retains some chrome plating. The ash pan is inside the kettle, along with the grill. Don't know if the coal grate is there but I think it was. Sadly, the missing thumb screw looks like it was *just* lost recently. Overall a really cool kettle.

Handle isn’t correct and does look homemade or maybe some old aftermarket. Wheels are correct

I made the run to Binghamton and back this morning to pick up the coffee lid grill. Traffic was light and I made good time at 4.5hrs round trip. The grill is as good as I could’ve hoped for. Date code EE so it’s a 1999. The drip tray alone is worth the cost of what I paid for the grill with the way the market is going on those. The control panel is probably the best condition example I have ever come across on a grill of this age and I am fortunate enough to have a new igniter button and bezel on hand to replace the missing one. The casters were a bit of a surprise and actually roll quite well but I’ll be replacing them anyways. I’ve already made the decision to stray from originality with this grill. I don’t care for the black Durawood so I’ll swap that for mahogany treated with beeswax and Dave Santana stainless z-brackets. The cook box and shroud cap will be blasted and painted and the frame will be prepped and painted as well. And, with apologies to @Jon Tofte, it’ll be getting the stainless hardware treatment on the shroud end caps, too. From there, it’ll be the usual new SS flavor bars & burners and I’m leaning hard towards cast iron grates on this one. I don’t know how many grills is too many, but I’m certain I crossed that threshold a long time ago so it’ll have to go off to a new home from there.View attachment 78729
If I was closer, I’d take it as is. It would go so well with my copper kettles. I’ve had my eye out for my first gasser but haven’t found the right one yet. Wish it was closer to GA.

Back