Curb Alert !!!

How much dissasembly do you have to do to get a Silver B or C in a Prius?
I've turned a few heads doing this - people can not believe I just put their old grill in my car and drove away. Basically the cookbox comes off and the frame stays together.

My now standard method is to remove the lower wire rack (or wood slat sections) and the drop in work table(s). Then remove cooking grids and flavorizers, remove the knobs, side burner, control panel, and manifold, pull out the burners. Then I brush any loose gunk down into the grease pan and remove the pan. Then I remove the lid, break the cookbox bolt off (often you need to crack off pieces of the plastic washer to get to the head of the bolt - then a 7/16 six point socket breaks it right off). Lift off the cookbox.

The frame then goes into the car in one piece with flip table(s) facing up so they can't flop around while loading. If it's a long frame grill (like a C) I put the passenger seat forward a little. I put the flavorizers and grids carefully into the lid and place in car. The cookbox goes in and the grease pan goes into the cookbox so it can't tip over and spill. Wire rack goes in. All the small parts go into my tool bucket and the other things (manifold, tables, control panel, side burner) all go on the floor between the front and back seats. Of course back seats are folded down. Since I use my Prius more as a truck than a car that heavy cardboard stays in there all the time.

Sounds like a lot of work but I've got it down to 10 minutes or less:ROFLMAO:

Picture below of the blue lid Silver C (a little different loading because the lid had a frozen pin so it went with the cookbox). Other picture is the Cranberry Silver C (note frame is upside down. This is where I learned to load with flip tables UP so they don't interfere with loading).

Yes, I'm at least half nuts:ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• Blue C.jpg
    Blue C.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Yup Fits in a Prius.jpg
    Yup Fits in a Prius.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 10
I've turned a few heads doing this - people can not believe I just put their old grill in my car and drove away. Basically the cookbox comes off and the frame stays together.

My now standard method is to remove the lower wire rack (or wood slat sections) and the drop in work table(s). Then remove cooking grids and flavorizers, remove the knobs, side burner, control panel, and manifold, pull out the burners. Then I brush any loose gunk down into the grease pan and remove the pan. Then I remove the lid, break the cookbox bolt off (often you need to crack off pieces of the plastic washer to get to the head of the bolt - then a 7/16 six point socket breaks it right off). Lift off the cookbox.

The frame then goes into the car in one piece with flip table(s) facing up so they can't flop around while loading. If it's a long frame grill (like a C) I put the passenger seat forward a little. I put the flavorizers and grids carefully into the lid and place in car. The cookbox goes in and the grease pan goes into the cookbox so it can't tip over and spill. Wire rack goes in. All the small parts go into my tool bucket and the other things (manifold, tables, control panel, side burner) all go on the floor between the front and back seats. Of course back seats are folded down. Since I use my Prius more as a truck than a car that heavy cardboard stays in there all the time.

Sounds like a lot of work but I've got it down to 10 minutes or less:ROFLMAO:

Picture below of the blue lid Silver C (a little different loading because the lid had a frozen pin so it went with the cookbox). Other picture is the Cranberry Silver C (note frame is upside down. This is where I learned to load with flip tables UP so they don't interfere with loading).

Yes, I'm at least half nuts:ROFLMAO:
The prius has alot of room in it if your willing to use as seen here. Having had one it was a great home depot runner.

TImothy, I have a go bag in my truck and yes, a couple 7/16" wrenches included. I stop on curb alerts and grab the propane hose/regulator even if they are not Webers. That is not a 7/16" though.

When I was flipping grills, I carried a tool kit with me just in case.
Our 2003 4runner is our dog hauler and was the grill getter. The rear seats have been folded down for about the last six or seven years with a large blanket cover the whole back area.
Biggest haul was two gen 1000s one gen 2000 and one 22" kettle and a whirlpool washer we picked up from Phoenix, which is 100+ miles away.
Coming home I almost went nuts with all that stuff rattling in the back. It was floor to headliner full.

You got ALL that stuff in a 4 Runner at the same time? That's amazing since the 4 Runner interior is smaller than the Highlander and I doubt I could do that

You got ALL that stuff in a 4 Runner at the same time? That's amazing since the 4 Runner interior is smaller than the Highlander and I doubt I could do that
Actually, I help a guy now and then that does handyman work out of the back of a 4 Runner. You'd be amazed at what we've packed into that car. It's basically a Tacoma with a closed in back.

The guy got a 6 burner first gen Summit for free but elected to use a trailer when he saw how HEAVY that grill is. Not worth pulling his back out trying to load up high into the car. You know, his cookbox looks good and the grill is in superb condition - what a find that was - free on CL.

I guess I need to carry a pair of 7/16 wrenches at all times.
One six point 7/16 socket with a little 1/4 inch drive breaker bar, a good Phillips screwdriver, and a pair of medium Channel Locks will about do it for the early stuff (1000's, Silvers, and such). A second wrench is helpful if you ever come across a cookbox with a good mounting bolt - but this is very uncommon. Usually, I just break off the bolt with the socket. The Channel Locks are good to loosen the manifold wingnuts and to pull the hinge pin clips - also use them to "chew off" the edges of the plastic washer on the cookbox bolt if it has deformed and covered over the hex on the bolt.

The prius has alot of room in it if your willing to use as seen here. Having had one it was a great home depot runner.
You can fit 10 foot 2 X 8's in there and close the hatch (they do have to go up on the dashboard). I use the cardboard for all loads but it is really good to have for grills. Because no matter haw careful you are -some- BBQ gunk always manages to fall out when you drive home with your new prize.:ROFLMAO:

You can fit 10 foot 2 X 8's in there and close the hatch (they do have to go up on the dashboard). I use the cardboard for all loads but it is really good to have for grills. Because no matter haw careful you are -some- BBQ gunk always manages to fall out when you drive home with your new prize.:ROFLMAO:
When I had a Prius I used a green dumpster bag from Waste Management. Everything when in the bag that lined the interior.

A Christmas tree bag works go too. Contains all the black stuff

Back