Coronavirus - Covid 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's some conflicting data about masks, non-N95 in particular. Unfortunately, it sounds like it may (or already is) become legally required.

MN has extended stay-at-home until May 4.

The other day I was talking to someone, we were standing about 6' apart. "Whoa! I just spit at you" ...a small amount of spittle had flown out of my mouth and almost made it to his shoe. I probably wouldn't have noticed it if the sun wasn't just right. I wish the guy who was coughing into his elbow and then into his shirt collar was wearing a mask while in the produce department. The cloth masks are for everyone else, not just the person who's wearing them.
The issue with them according to my Dr friend is they allow the virus through. Just more slowly which then traps it right against where you don't want it trapped (against your mouth and nose). He is still licensed and gets daily updates from AMA, CDC and so on. This is not me speculating this is me repeating information given to me by someone who is actually supposed to know.

If everyone wore them it would definitely help reduce the spread to everyone.
Agreed.

The suggestion by public health officials that regular folks wear a cloth mask in public is clearly a compromise. I guess the thinking is that they are better than nothing both in terms of spreading and contracting the virus.

People are asking what are some of the big changes that will come out of this pandemic. I think wearing a face mask in public when sick will no longer be just a habit of people in China, Japan, etc. but of people all over the world.

Every body is clamoring for the powers that be to "do something" so they come up with some "feel good" thing. "Yeah wear a mask even if it does nothing. You'll think you're doing something". I honestly hope the people falling for it come to no harm but I fear they will

Our understanding of this virus continues to evolve, therefore recommendations continue to evolve. Respectfully, I choose to take the advice of the CDC, not that of an individual doctor whose credentials I know nothing about.

Is any of this a perfect solution? No. Not even a vaccine will be a perfect solution. But IMO, this advice from the CDC is the best information we have to go on at this time. It's important to note that the CDC is saying to combine 6-foot distancing with the use of cloth face coverings. Masks are not to be used in lieu of social distancing.

Recommendation Regarding the Use of Cloth Face Coverings, Especially in Areas of Significant Community-Based Transmission
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover.html
As of 4/9/20

CDC continues to study the spread and effects of the novel coronavirus across the United States. We now know from recent studies that a significant portion of individuals with coronavirus lack symptoms (“asymptomatic”) and that even those who eventually develop symptoms (“pre-symptomatic”) can transmit the virus to others before showing symptoms. This means that the virus can spread between people interacting in close proximity—for example, speaking, coughing, or sneezing—even if those people are not exhibiting symptoms. In light of this new evidence, CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies) especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.

It is critical to emphasize that maintaining 6-feet social distancing remains important to slowing the spread of the virus. CDC is additionally advising the use of simple cloth face coverings to slow the spread of the virus and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others. Cloth face coverings fashioned from household items or made at home from common materials at low cost can be used as an additional, voluntary public health measure.

The cloth face coverings recommended are not surgical masks or N-95 respirators. Those are critical supplies that must continue to be reserved for healthcare workers and other medical first responders, as recommended by current CDC guidance.

Last edited:
A simple mask may not prevent you catching the bug, that's been proven. I can't help but believe that it does help keep from spreading your germs. I don't like being around people coughing and sneezing openly any time, much less during a pandemic.

I do a lot of work in Asia. Believe me, in the places that I've been only a small percentage of folks wear masks when they are sick. There are irresponsible people everywhere :)

Masks aren't the long-term solution.

Vaccines and herd immunity are about all that have kept this planet going as long as it has.

I've had a new car dealer close to protect their employees this week.
And a couple independent parts stores have either put up plexiglass shields or are limiting the number of customers in their stores.
We also service a major home improvement store chain.
When I go out on the floor to stock their shelves, I wear a face mask.
Most of my other customers, I'm just in the back room, so I don't bother.
I also don't wander the big box stores after I've eaten my lunch any more. It's just not worth it.

Our understanding of this virus continues to evolve, therefore recommendations continue to evolve. Respectfully, I choose to take the advice of the CDC, not that of an individual doctor whose credentials I know nothing about.

Is any of this a perfect solution? No. Not even a vaccine will be a perfect solution. But IMO, this advice from the CDC is the best information we have to go on at this time. It's important to note that the CDC is saying to combine 6-foot distancing with the use of cloth face coverings. Masks are not to be used in lieu of social distancing.
I'm with you Chris. Perfect solution? there is no perfect solution to these circumstances but 50 years ago my boss told me "Perfection is the enemy of good enough". Given what is known on any given day it looks like we're getting good enough guidance and it's working. When this wanes I hope that the lessons learned don't get buried.

Can someone please tell me why the rest of China did not get infected (or did they?) - while at the same time, the virus was showing up all over the world? I know Wuhan had an aggressive quarantine, but it just doesn't seem plausible that the rest of the country was spared considering how easily spreadable the bug is. Not to mention the population density too.

I originally posted a longer version of this post, but decided to give it a haircut. :)

Click on China in the left column. That centers the map on China. Zoom in using the roller on your mouse. You'll see red dots on Chinese provinces. Click a dot to reveal the number of confirmed cases, deaths, and recovered cases. The map shows there is known activity across all of China.

Are the numbers accurate? Probably not. There are reports from numerous news outlets that China may be vastly underestimating the extent of the epidemic throughout the country.

Last edited:
There is a very interesting story in Wall Street Journal today. Apparently, an exaggerated immune response-they call it a Cytokine Storm is what causes death in some. A drug used to treat arthritis-Actemra fights that exact malady. This drug saved the life of a physician in Washington.

I believe help is on the way.

When China locks town a city, the military goes in and locks it down, here kids hop on planes and go to the beach. I guess freedom can be a double edged sword.

Disclaimer... Absolutely no facts were used in the forming of this opinion.

I am a vendor for Walmart in Michigan. Our Governor extended our stay at home order yesterday and also said big box store had to close several different departments that were considered non-essential, one of those being lawn and garden. Guess what you cant buy charcoal anymore in these stores. The stores blocked them off. Just got my tax check deposited today and was going to buy a Blackstone. Nope.

Are the numbers accurate? Probably not. There are reports from numerous news outlets that China may be vastly underestimating the extent of the epidemic throughout the country.

Yeah, I am seeing news and documentaries popping up on YouTube via Roku indicating the CCP government is lying about infections & deaths. These news sources are sort of like the old Radio Free Europe broadcasts I suppose.

I am a vendor for Walmart in Michigan. Our Governor extended our stay at home order yesterday and also said big box store had to close several different departments that were considered non-essential, one of those being lawn and garden. Guess what you cant buy charcoal anymore in these stores. The stores blocked them off. Just got my tax check deposited today and was going to buy a Blackstone. Nope.

Ouch!

I better go grab a bag - if possible.

Our Governor extended our stay at home order yesterday and also said big box store had to close several different departments that were considered non-essential, one of those being lawn and garden. Guess what you cant buy charcoal anymore in these stores. The stores blocked them off.
I assume you're referring to Home Depot and Lowe's? If this includes Walmart's garden section where charcoal is often located, it would be easy enough for them to bring it inside the store and shelve it alongside other outdoor cooking supplies, as done in supermarkets.

As estimates for spread drop...a few observations. Early best estimates suggested the R naught of this virus was projected to be 7 by many. Meaning one contagious person would expect to infect 7 others (as best I understand). Yesterday I heard reports that the real number is 1.3-1.5.
That is very significant if that is closer to what is being observed.

Again, according to recent reports, the governor of NY was requesting 40,000 ventilators. Actual need 4,000. Big difference.
We know there are hotspots, and dreadful losses elsewhere but these numbers and other reduced estimates should make us feel much better about the ultimate numbers (hospitalizations, on vents and deaths). <Note from Moderator: No media bashing, too political.>

Please keep your distance-stay safe, maybe this won't be as bad as those early dire projections.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back