Coronavirus - Covid 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not trying to beat a dead horse here by any means, but I accidentally saw this interview today, and it sums up what I was trying to say. The interview is two weeks old, but the message is still relevant.

<Video deleted>

Note from Moderator: I've watched this Dr. Drew video several times. It supports Rusty's contention that the media sometimes overhypes stories like the coronavirus and that we should listen closely to the CDC, Dr. Anthony Fauci, etc. more so than media figures. However, it was broadcast on February 3, 2020 -- over 7 weeks ago -- and contains information that has been eclipsed by actual events and therefore contains many inaccuracies. It also includes opinions that, to the best of my understanding, are inconsistent with accurate information from the CDC, Dr. Fauci, etc. And at one point, Drew blasts the media using a politically-charged term that I would not allow in forum discussion per our rules. I don't like to delete forum content, I don't do it lightly or without a lot of thought, but for these reasons I've decided to delete the link to this video.

Many pardons for the date inaccuracy. I looked at the video twice before posting a link, but the date I saw was much more recent until I reviwed the video for a third time. His advice, however, is spot-on.

A bit of good news here...

Last edited:
Meat cases around here are still barren, but I did manage to find two pork butts for 0.99 per pound at Food Lion. Milk is making a comeback, but produce isn't doing good (potatoes, salad, etc.). Our governor has locked down the whole state of late. How many states does that make now?

Ok let's just ponder a thought, this virus starts in China at a open market meat stand of questionable variety, buy no now on News Max, and OAN the say patient zero was a shrimp sales person, better than a Bat Meat sales person. So anyway she got sick early December like the 3 or 5th. And now for like two weeks there virus has stopped spreading and ours and other countries is still going strong ,the China start is about 3 weeks ahead of ours.
So social distancing in China RIGHT, clean environment not so much. So why has it stopped spreading, self life?, I would think not, maybe they have had the antidote all along!!!! And were just stating a pandemic to destroy the worlds economic structure, so they could step in and sweep up the remains....
Where is Tom Clancy when you really need him, would be a great book right.....
OR IS IT TRUE.

Just coming back to this forum after a long hiatus.
I live in beijing and have been here with my family all throughout the coronavirus situation.
SOCIAL DISTANCING WORKS!
We have had no empty supermarket shelves or people stockpiling food etc. Nothing has run out. When we watch what is happening in my home country Australia, or my wife's home country, the UK, we either laugh or cry. Slow and inadequate response by governments, people acting very selfishly and thinking it's the zombie apocalypse. My friends and family can't buy hand sanitiser or toilet paper for f's sake. Ridiculous.
Anyway, posting a video of a mate who had to go into quarantine due to someone on his flight back from Thailand testing positive for covid19.

Ok let's just ponder a thought, this virus starts in China at a open market meat stand of questionable variety, buy no now on News Max, and OAN the say patient zero was a shrimp sales person, better than a Bat Meat sales person. So anyway she got sick early December like the 3 or 5th. And now for like two weeks there virus has stopped spreading and ours and other countries is still going strong ,the China start is about 3 weeks ahead of ours.
So social distancing in China RIGHT, clean environment not so much. So why has it stopped spreading, self life?, I would think not, maybe they have had the antidote all along!!!! And were just stating a pandemic to destroy the worlds economic structure, so they could step in and sweep up the remains....
Where is Tom Clancy when you really need him, would be a great book right.....
OR IS IT TRUE.
The key to China's success has been widely reported. Instead of reading Tom Clancy fiction, read this:

A bit of good news here...
Let's hope so. We've been hearing that Covid-19 is 10x more deadly than seasonal flu, let's hope it's the same fatality rate as seasonal flu or lower.

Here's the catch. The CDC estimates about 31 million people got seasonal flu so far this year. The CDC's worst case estimate for Covid-19 is between 160 million and 214 million cases. Even with the same fatality rate, we'll have a lot more dead folks with Covid-19. Let's hope the actual fatality rate and the actual number of cases both end up being lower. (y)

The key to China's success has been widely reported. Instead of reading Tom Clancy fiction, read this:

Is anyone hear wearing a mask in public? I wore one while driving due to heavy pollen, but I removed it before entering a store.

Our state had just a few confirmed cases of the virus not long ago, but now that number has swelled to over a thousand. Only five deaths so far however. What's California doing that is keeping their numbers lower than New York? Warmer weather playing a role maybe?

Is anyone hear wearing a mask in public? I wore one while driving due to heavy pollen, but I removed it before entering a store.

Our state had just a few confirmed cases of the virus not long ago, but now that number has swelled to over a thousand. Only five deaths so far however. What's California doing that is keeping their numbers lower than New York? Warmer weather playing a role maybe?
Many people are wearing masks and gloves in the grocery store and inside Costco where I live. Next time I go, I will wear both. From the article I linked above:

The big mistake in the U.S. and Europe, in my opinion, is that people aren’t wearing masks. This virus is transmitted by droplets and close contact. Droplets play a very important role—you’ve got to wear a mask, because when you speak, there are always droplets coming out of your mouth. Many people have asymptomatic or presymptomatic infections. If they are wearing face masks, it can prevent droplets that carry the virus from escaping and infecting others.

We're not having particularly warm weather here in CA. It will be in the low 70's this coming week, but we've been in the 50's to low 60's most days recently. Officials here are worried that we're a couple of weeks behind New York. One difference is that, generally speaking, people in Los Angeles or San Jose aren't as closely packed together as in New York City.

Here's a positive note: A high tech company here in Silicon Valley called Bloom Energy is refurbishing old ventilators so they can be used again. They knew nothing about ventilators last week, they're refurbing them this week.

I'm wearing gloves, a mask sometimes. I had a bit of a cough Thursday evening - swallowed funny & got an itchy throat and I kept coughing more than I wanted all night. I wore a mask when around others on Friday to make sure if I had it there would be less chance of transmission.

Had a package 2'x'2'x3' come in (3 over the last week) on Friday - cardboard boxes, but they're coming from NY. The first 2 we sprayed down with disinfectant, the third I just set out of the way. The virus is supposed to remain viable for ~24 hrs on cardboard, 3 days on plastic, so when I unpacked the first 2 I separated the product & tossed all the packing materials.

Feels funny wearing PPE (personal protective equipment) walking around, and people will shame you, but wear it if you want to, especially if you feel vulnerable - get some wipes for your car too. When I get back from somewhere I consider dirty I take off my shoes outside, step right into the laundry room & throw all my clothes in the washer, then shower & put on a pair of inside shoes.

I got some fresh fruit @ the grocery store & I looked at it for an hour, wondering how to disinfect it. I wound up mixing warm water with dish soap & washing all of it like that. Probably try something similar with lettuce & other produce. (soap is supposed to break down the virus). I picked up a pizza from Papa Murphy's, & how I handled that was I took a disinfectant wipe, left the truck unlocked, used the disinfectant wipe to touch a small corner of the door handle, grabbed the pizza off the shelf, & when I got it home I unwrapped the plastic & placed in the outside garbage can, took the pie straight into the oven. I probably should've just made my own.

One of my old friends posted this video, I've seen so many. This is a MD, he curses a few times but good info, provides a good description of the danger/what the virus does. Worth watching through the end, but it's a little too real. I watched another of his videos (or 2).

More inspiration.

i saw a pic NY Dr wearing a clear plastic clamshell container (like salads or pastries are sold in) as an improvised faceshield in NY.

My friend is a retired Dr. He explained to me the wrong mask is worse than no mask because it lets virus in and keeps it trapped against your face in a moist environment which it apparently loves. He explained that unless you can get your hands on N95 masks don't wear any

Even if I wanted to wear a mask there's none to be had.

Same here, and even if I could find masks, I would not want to take away from the supply available to medical personnel. Those folks on the front line need all they can get.

I gotta think, the key to China's success is lying about their success. I don't think we will ever know what has happened or is happening there. I don't even trust American businessmen operating there, the CCP has them so compromised, they won't vary far from the party line.

I gotta think, the key to China's success is lying about their success. I don't think we will ever know what has happened or is happening there. I don't even trust American businessmen operating there, the CCP has them so compromised, they won't vary far from the party line.
I'm with you Lynn. If the Chinese can keep the masks in short supply they create discord in the USA. It's a deadly game they're playing. If you believe that then you gotta believe what they said about the U.S. Army starting this pandemic.

My friend is a retired Dr. He explained to me the wrong mask is worse than no mask because it lets virus in and keeps it trapped against your face in a moist environment which it apparently loves. He explained that unless you can get your hands on N95 masks don't wear any

Does that include surgical masks? The kind that have ear loops? I wore one of them mowing grass recently, and pollen went right through that thing. I had a splitting headache hours later. I truly believe western NC is the sneeze capital of the USA. 🤧

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back