Coronavirus - Covid 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been 15 cases of Covid-19 here in NC, with 6 of those right here in Charlotte so far.
The governor has banned all gatherings of 100 people or more and the local school system, which Pammi teaches for, moved spring break up from the middle of April to the week after next.
While I hadn't made any reservations yet, I feel for all the students and staff who made reservations for mid-April!

This really has gotten out of control. The media has been incredibly irresponsible with their doom & gloom reporting. It's not enough that the the general public is already freaking out - tonight the media here in Los Angeles talked about all the millions of cases that could descend on & overwhelm emergency rooms. The media can Not. Stop. Fanning. The. Flames.
Two nights ago the media glamorized, GLAMORIZED! hoarding toilet paper - "Oh people really need the feeling of that soft white paper when times are tough", while showing social media videos of people opening birthday gifts of 48 rolls of paper. WAIT, WHAT?!?
If you need 48 rolls of doo doo paper for 14 days, you've got bigger problems than covid19.
So everything has been cancelled, closed & postponed. Ok great. It's unprecidented - hopefully these steps help the virus pass into history quickly.
But then our brilliant Mayor text blasted & robo-called Los Angeles last night, telling Angelinos to "keep extra food & medical supplies around", which has caused even more hoarding. Now the media gets to tell us how all the supermarket shelves are empty.
Corona virus didn't scare me. Bird flu, swine flu, H1N1, SARS - we've been through this before. But bare supermarket shelves & civil unrest scares the #&!! out of me.

This really has gotten out of control. The media has been incredibly irresponsible with their doom & gloom reporting. It's not enough that the the general public is already freaking out - tonight the media here in Los Angeles talked about all the millions of cases that could descend on & overwhelm emergency rooms. The media can Not. Stop. Fanning. The. Flames.
Two nights ago the media glamorized, GLAMORIZED! hoarding toilet paper - "Oh people really need the feeling of that soft white paper when times are tough", while showing social media videos of people opening birthday gifts of 48 rolls of paper. WAIT, WHAT?!?
If you need 48 rolls of doo doo paper for 14 days, you've got bigger problems than covid19.
So everything has been cancelled, closed & postponed. Ok great. It's unprecidented - hopefully these steps help the virus pass into history quickly.
But then our brilliant Mayor text blasted & robo-called Los Angeles last night, telling Angelinos to "keep extra food & medical supplies around", which has caused even more hoarding. Now the media gets to tell us how all the supermarket shelves are empty.
Corona virus didn't scare me. Bird flu, swine flu, H1N1, SARS - we've been through this before. But bare supermarket shelves & civil unrest scares the #&!! out of me.

I saw something from the Federal govt the other day telling people to stock up on food. I thought how stupid is that. Now we will go through food hoarding , which like you, scares me far more than this virus. Its very much like a run on the banks. Once it starts, it gains momentum.

I saw this yesterday and probably puts into perspective whose really needs to be concerned about this virus .....

After only a few days of working from home, I've already had to start thinking about what day it is. :unsure:

In a small way , this is similar to how the government and TV stations here in Oklahoma have people scared out of their wits by tornadoes. If there's a hint that a tornado might touch down anywhere in the state, the whole place shuts down. And I'd like to see the stats, but I really doubt that deaths from tornado are any less than what it was 30 or even 50 years ago.

How far do ya take saving lives ? If ya really want to save lives, then why not a 15 mph national speed limit ?

Last edited:
Really the only thing we can do is act responsibly! Don’t be scared into stocking six months worth of something that you would not ordinarily have bought anyway, maybe bump a can or two of SPAM ;) maybe some bleach wipes, plenty of cocktail makings but, a hundred rolls of TP!? No need to get lured into media panic. Wash your hands, love your family and THINK for yourself.

Was going to pick up a couple things at Sam's yesterday. The hoards of people were incredible. Lot was filled to beyond capacity. The gas station had lines 2 lanes wide going for nearly a block! *** is going on in this country?! <Moderator: Deleted political comment>

Last edited by a moderator:
Good old fashioned panic and TP hoarding don't bother me, but this is affecting me greatly. My wife (especially) and I are basketball junkies and will go nuts without any sports on TV. We will be forced to actually talk to each other and do stuff like read books!

I'm gonna need a shrink.

Good old fashioned panic and TP hoarding don't bother me, but this is affecting me greatly. My wife (especially) and I are basketball junkies and will go nuts without any sports on TV. We will be forced to actually talk to each other and do stuff like read books!

I'm gonna need a shrink.
The hoarding is truly disgusting so I differ there. People are even cleaning out our smaller neighborhood store. So totally stupid. And I have the same sports issue as you but with baseball. No interest in basketball.

Barb was supposed to work from 1:15 to 6:00pm yesterday ended up working from 11:30 to 7:45pm due to the massive amount of customers. Even with the winds, rain and hail the store was mobbed. People going out with $300-$400 worth of groceries some with 2 or 3 carts full.
Completely nuts. Costco had lines around the building with people waiting to get in.

M wife went to Sam's club yesterday afternoon. She called me after she got out and told most shelves were empty. Said it looked like a store that was going out of business kind of empty. But apparently they had lots of alcohol and batteries. This is stupid.

This is why I've gone on a sabbatical in terms of watching the National News and will continue to do so for at least another month. The media is glamorizing this to the point of absurdity. And it's just too much. Once this whole thing calms down, they'll move on to the next BIG thing, but until then, the doom and gloom reporting will continue.

ATTENTION WIVES

Be on the alert for husbands going crazy.

WHAT!!!!!!! No sports to watch?

Please, lets pray this doesn't happen. lol

ATTENTION WIVES

Be on the alert for husbands going crazy.

WHAT!!!!!!! No sports to watch?

Please, lets pray this doesn't happen. lol
I'm surprised nobody has made a run on beer & liquor. Don't they realize they could be quarantined with nothing but their family for a couple of weeks.:giggle:

Truthfully, as much as I appreciate alternative new sites, they often rehash what I don't watch anyway. It's a like a he said, she said, sort of thing. I've have got to the point where I take all news with a grain of salt.

There's an old phrase that was coined years ago (by Mark Twain?), and repeated by Winston Churchill during the war, and it goes something like this:

"A lie can make it around the world while the truth is still getting it's shoes on."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back