Cook’s Illustrated seared ribeye steak

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Cook’s Illustrated March/April 2020 features an article “The Easiest, Cleanest Way to Sear Steak.” This is done on the stove top, not on the grill.

Cold steak, cold nonstick pan, turn burner on HIGH, cook 2 min per side, reduce burner to MEDIUM and continue flipping every 2 minutes until 120-125. Rest 5 min before serving.

My MEDIUM ran a bit hot, so when my steak looked perfect on the outside but was not up to internal temp I moved it to a pizza pan in a 250*F oven until done.

This was a 50 day dry aged bone-in ribeye from Pat LaFrieda Meats in NJ. An unbelievably tender and flavorful steak!

CAE7E2F5-7FB7-410A-8672-1D29EBC9AE19.jpeg

F2F74A32-02BE-4D31-B655-2965A537820C.jpeg

69835D9A-8C0A-4FDA-BF32-431225516B08.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing! I missed that article but I am a fan of Cook's Illustrated and find value in the membership.

Wow Chris, that looks perfect! :p Not sure I could pull off taking one of our good non stick pans out to my grill though.

Great looking steak, Chris! They had a cast iron recipe a couple of years ago that called for preheating the empty CI skillet in the oven at 500 then move it to the stove over high heat. Then cook the steak flipping every two minutes. It makes the best crust ever, and yours looks every bit as good.

Thanks Chris, I noticed that. I do all my cooking outside though and improvise a lot kitchen recipes for cooking on the grill, mostly with cast iron. Maybe on the next really foul weather day, I make the jump to the kitchen. Thanks.

I just finished reading that article in the March/ April issue of Cooks Illustrated. That's on my to do list for sure.
They also have some great comparison test I like reading also.

The problem for me is non-stick coatings are not designed for high heat, the outgassing can be toxic so, whether or not the end result is delicious, I’m not doing it.
I might try it in my, properly seasoned, carbon steel pan but, Non-stick has its place, I just don’t think it is this application.
Simply one hard headed opinion.

Saw this on FB and have to say that you completely nailed it, Chris. Amazing crust, but perfect doneness all the way through. I'm drooling.

The problem for me is non-stick coatings are not designed for high heat...
Pan starts out stone cold. Turn burner on HIGH, immediately add two stone cold steaks from the refrigerator and cook steak for only 4 minutes. Article states, "This was a surefire way to avoid the safety hazard of overheating a nonstick skillet, since the food kept the pan cool enough, even when it was over high heat..." Then heat is reduced to MEDIUM for the remaining time.

Author mentions that a carbon steel pan is an alternative to a nonstick pan.

Stainless steel and cast iron pans don't work for this technique. Both require oil to prevent sticking (one objective of this technique was to eliminate use of oil to prevent splattering) and cast iron is not responsive enough on the stove top--it heats up too slowly and cools off too slowly for this technique to work.

I appreciate the clarification, I let my subscription lapse so, I have not seen the article. I had a friend lose his cockatiel to a brief overheating of a nonstick pan, that taught me real respect for temperature control with respect to nonstick.
I’m not saying it may not work beautifully but, I don’t think it’s a technique I will use.
An old girlfriend father taught me a great pan sear technique, cast iron, ripping hot, evenly sprinkled with salt (I use K.S.), drop the steak in, don’t touch it until you see pearls of blood come up, salt the up side, turn and then finish to desired doneness. This guy said he had never had a charcoal grilled steak he thought was as good as his method until he had mine! That was quite a compliment! If to nasty and I don’t feel like shoveling snow to get to the Performer, I use his method, especially if it’s just for me.

Back