Controversial Combos: what are yours?

My mom had these pictures hanging in the kitchen when I was really young. Apparently she sent $.25 to Morton salt company for them. On day I was looking through an old atlas and there they were, so we framed them and hung them in the dining room.

The salt on grapefruit is the real curious one:

View attachment 74054
My grandfather put salt on grapefruit. He told me it cut the tartness, IIRC.

I had to check that one out.

For the record I don’t eat McDonald’s.

I don’t believe everything I read on the internet so not sure, but here is what I found:

When coming to NYC back in the 70’s McDonald’s did their usual testing and found that NY’ers do not put mustard on their burgers, therefore McDonald’s doesn’t either in NYC. However mustard is part of the standard assembly process for a hamburger almost everywhere else including most of NY State. The amount of mustard is very small in comparison to other condiments.

I grew up in New York City
My first mustard burger experience was at McD’s in New Hampshire on a ski trip with some buddies.

After I took my first bite I brought it back inside and told them someone jacked up my burger and put mustard on it.

They remade me one with ketchup and extra pickles. The only way I ate McDs. I haven’t been inside a McD’s in at least 12 years now.

Ground black pepper on cantaloupe, yes. It works. But just the fine ground stuff from the tabletop pepper shaker, not fresh cracked or coarse ground. Needs to be subtle. Nothing on honeydew, just make sure it's ripe.
Apple pie with a slice of cheddar cheese.
Apple slices with slices of sharp cheddar or Dad's favorite Colby.
Granulated sugar on grapefruit.
Mom was always trying stuff with cottage cheese-- fruit cocktail, pineapple rings, spiced apple rings, or bottled French dressing (Mullens?). Just give me some Lawry's seasoned salt on mine and I'm good.
Brooks ketchup on scrambled eggs.

In North Carolina there is an abomination called the "Carolina dog", which has (among other toppings) both chili and Cole slaw. I was born and raised in N.C. but I would never combine those two on anything. I make my hot dogs one of three ways: mustard and Cole slaw; mustard and sauerkraut; mustard, chili, and onions (cheese optional). A good hot dog, properly cooked over charcoal or a wood fire, should not be hidden under a smorgasbord.

The thing that got me was salt & pepper on cantalope, honey dew or watermelon. My Okie relatives would season up all their melons... never saw the appeal.
Salt on melons was common where I grew up, but I never did it.
Another odd combination: salted peanuts and Coca Cola, as follows: open a 5-cent bag of peanuts (this was 60+ years ago), and pour them into a 6-ounce Coca Cola. Then drink the cola (without choking), eating the peanuts as you come to them.

And the generic term for a bottle of any carbonated drink was neither pop nor soda, but "a dope".

When I was in junior high, we used to put salted peanuts in our bottle of Pepsi.

I guess like the sweet/salty combo - I also like Fritos or plain Lays potato chips with a bowl of vanilla ice cream.

Back