Controversial Combos: what are yours?

From my European cousins is dipping my fries in mayonnaise. My dad, and eventually myself, was salt in my buttermilk.

In North Carolina there is an abomination called the "Carolina dog", which has (among other toppings) both chili and Cole slaw. I was born and raised in N.C. but I would never combine those two on anything. I make my hot dogs one of three ways: mustard and Cole slaw; mustard and sauerkraut; mustard, chili, and onions (cheese optional). A good hot dog, properly cooked over charcoal or a wood fire, should not be hidden under a smorgasbord.
<scratches head> A Memphis style barbecue sandwich does have cole slaw piled on it. I do like simple chili dogs, just buns, dogs, chili and maybe some cheese (no mustard, I really don't care for it at all.) I can see a creamy slaw on that, may have to give that a try the next time I do make slaw.

Ketchup on scrambled eggs. It drives my wife crazy. :)
I wanted to mention this one. My mom’s uncle, Walter, did this when I was really young, and since he was my pal, I did it too.

Every time I eat scrambled eggs with ketchup I think of him.

Brown gravy on fries. As common in Canada as ketchup on fries is here. Actually, pretty good, especially good if the gravy is made with Alberta beef drippings.

Ground black pepper on cantaloupe, yes. It works. But just the fine ground stuff from the tabletop pepper shaker, not fresh cracked or coarse ground. Needs to be subtle. Nothing on honeydew, just make sure it's ripe.
Apple pie with a slice of cheddar cheese.
Apple slices with slices of sharp cheddar or Dad's favorite Colby.
Granulated sugar on grapefruit.
Mom was always trying stuff with cottage cheese-- fruit cocktail, pineapple rings, spiced apple rings, or bottled French dressing (Mullens?). Just give me some Lawry's seasoned salt on mine and I'm good.
Brooks ketchup on scrambled eggs.
Old Bay on watermelon

There I would never want to ruin a good beer.
Well, what's not to like? A good sweet stout is malty and very low hopped. We all know what a good malt tastes like, this will have a little alcohol in it, but probably not as much malt character.

Having said all of that, even with the homebrew breakfast & sweet stouts I've made, I have tried it..... and it just doesn't work for me. I have more than a few acquaintances who just love it.

I have been know to crack a raw egg over almost done steel cut oats and let the egg finish cooking with the oats.

A little salt and a pat of butter.

I find it to be a satisfying breakfast during the winter months.

It's really good!
Ok, that reminds me of my own weird grilled cheese habit. This is the only way I will eat grilled cheese. It has to have a slice of ham inside and mayonnaise smeared on top. I also have to have Campbell's tomato soup to dunk the sandwich in.

Back