Controversial Combos: what are yours?

Yes, we call it pop here. I don't think mustard on a hamburger is a Chicago thing though. I mean, McDonald's puts mustard on their hamburger and cheeseburger and they serve them that way all over the country.
I had to check that one out.

For the record I don’t eat McDonald’s.

I don’t believe everything I read on the internet so not sure, but here is what I found:

When coming to NYC back in the 70’s McDonald’s did their usual testing and found that NY’ers do not put mustard on their burgers, therefore McDonald’s doesn’t either in NYC. However mustard is part of the standard assembly process for a hamburger almost everywhere else including most of NY State. The amount of mustard is very small in comparison to other condiments.

I grew up in New York City

Peanut butter and mayo sammiches. Everyone makes funny faces when I tell them how good it is (even better when toasted and the two melt together a bit.) Usually, anyone that tries it seems to love it. We grew up on it. My middle brother used to put marshmallow cream on his peanut butter sammiches. Talk about stick to the roof of your mouth!

In 1981 I moved to the north side of Chicago.

That was the first time I heard of the concept of mustard on a hamburger.

Still scratching my head over that one.

And calling carbonated beverages “ pop” instead of “soda”.

And a lot of other things.

I loved living there.

Great city
Love yellow mustard on burgers. Combine mustard and pickled jalapeños and you've got an even better burger.

The thing that got me was salt & pepper on cantalope, honey dew or watermelon. My Okie relatives would season up all their melons... never saw the appeal.
My mom had these pictures hanging in the kitchen when I was really young. Apparently she sent $.25 to Morton salt company for them. On day I was looking through an old atlas and there they were, so we framed them and hung them in the dining room.

The salt on grapefruit is the real curious one:

IMG_6408.jpeg

I grew up with salt on cantaloupe/musk melons. Dad always wanted a little powdered sugar on his grapefruit halves. G/f..... ketchup on her breakfast sausage links.

Joan, apple sauce on pork is a pretty classic combo.

My parents were horrified by the very concept of a butter pat on a grilled steak.

In 1981 I moved to the north side of Chicago.

That was the first time I heard of the concept of mustard on a hamburger.

Still scratching my head over that one.

And calling carbonated beverages “ pop” instead of “soda”.

And a lot of other things.

I loved living there.

Great city
in 1981 I went to the Illinois Institute of Technology for a long enough time to appreciate Connies deep dish pizza.
I used to stop in there for a pizza (and bring an extra one home) whenever we passed through up until a couple of years ago...

ETA: I love mustard. I don't put ketchup (catsup?) on dogs. Giardiniera makes everything better!:)

Gerry

Last edited:
For years I have been trying to convince my family that food tastes better when eaten with a spoon.

Eventually I will be proven right…lol

When I was really young, I would walk over to my grandparents apartment a few blocks away.

My grandfather always had a quart glass bottle of Coca Cola in the refrigerator.

Every once and a while he would make me a coke and milk- a drink with equal parts of each.

I don’t know if it was his private invention, but I have never heard of it again- it was really good.

Carbonated beverages weren’t allowed in my house growing up.
On the old tv show Laverne and Shirley, Laverne did pepsi and milk together always thought it was crazy now I need to try-lol

Back