Controversial Combos: what are yours?

I brew session strength beers that are low(er) ABV and carbs than their full strength counterparts but otherwise have the same great flavor and mouthfeel
I discovered several years ago that I just flat out prefer session style beers.

If you're a home brewer, and you have the opportunity to attend the National Homebrewer's Convention (yes, I'm going American centric,) I consider it to be a very good experience. I've gone twice..... and it's been expensive both times. :) Lessee, buy that, rerig this, etc. The seminars cover the gamut. Club Night.... that really has to be seen to be believed. Clubs from all over the country build booths to the convention them, and serve their homebrews. Pro tip: make sure you've eaten and STAY HYDRATED. There is more alcohol in that room than you can shake a stick at. I could wax on about the convention, there's a fair chance I'll strongly consider going again the next time it comes through Minneapolis. Oh, and even if it's local, get a hotel room. Trust me on that.

@DanHoo and @Darryl - swazies : Books have been written on how to drink beer and loose weight such as The Drink Beer Get Thin Diet.

IMO, carb control is the best reason to brew your own beer. I brew session strength beers that are low(er) ABV and carbs than their full strength counterparts but otherwise have the same great flavor and mouthfeel. IOW, they’re not watered down versions. Books have been written on how to do this well also.

To make sure it wasn’t just me, I wanted to gauge my beers against someone other than the usual suspects that hang around my kegs so I sent a couple off to some competitions (which I don’t normally do). I got some positive feedback on a Ord Bitter from a highly ranked judge at the National Homebrew Competition (largest in the world) first round (but didn’t advance), got a third place for a Stout here in AL, and a second place for a Leichtbier in NY. All of these beers were in the ~ 3.8-4% ABV range. IOW, they’re pretty good beers.

Combine that with cutting down from my normal 2-3 pints to 1-2 pints per day, and for a cpl years now (since Apr ‘21) I am hovering in the 195# range down from 240# +. I had to buy new pants and shorts and cut a new hole in my belt because I lost 4” around my waist.

Cheers! 🍻

It's good info, I hang with a couple guys and I help brew with them.
Session style beers have always been something that I haven't liked, but around then I was into pretty heavy type beers too.
I have been experimenting lately with lighter beers and whatnot....I can have 1 or 2 and then it's just not tasty at all....
Also I am a fan of quantity.....I like to have a bunch of beers.....usually on a hot afternoon while the grill is going but sometimes after work too.

I am just staying away for a while.....when I do have a few it will be just some 80 to 117 proof of good stuff I have already.
Re opened my calorie tracker app I used about 10 years ago just so I can be honest with myself and get on the right track.

I should loose the 18 pounds I want in a couple months without too much struggle......maybe missing out on a few things but not everything.
I have done this before a couple of times.....I have found easier ways to do this and would be happy to share.
I am going to blame COVID like everything else on why I gained the weight back over the past 2.5 years.........my reasoning really does have merit.

If it means anything the first try I lost 27 pounds in my first month.....
Second time around I drank but only neat drinks....I lost 19 pounds in my first month.
This time around I would like to do it a bit slower...I am also a bit older so I am sure it will take longer no matter what.

Last edited:

Back