Controversial Combos: what are yours?

It's interesting, alot of stuff mentioned here is what my parents generation did. Ketchup on eggs, salted fruit, beer etc.
They think a taco MUST have a hard shell, beef, beans & maybe cheese. Soft taco with steak or chicken, fish or shrimp? Nope! Chevichi? Cilantro? (All YUM!) They won't touch it. Generation thing.

Here's one for you guys; I know someone who did it: raw onion. Pick it up & eat it like an apple.

Any rhubarb or fresh horseradish stories?

Those were more common when I was growing up.

Don’t hear much about them now.

Don’t hear much about them now.
i make fresh horseradish 2x a year. Passover and Rosh Hashanah. We eat it year round. It goes into mustard when i make mustard, cocktail sauce, and in bloody maria's (mary's preferred cousin). and sometimes on a sando with roast beef or corned beef or pastrami.

i make fresh horseradish 2x a year. Passover and Rosh Hashanah. We eat it year round. It goes into mustard when i make mustard, cocktail sauce, and in bloody maria's (mary's preferred cousin). and sometimes on a sando with roast beef or corned beef or pastrami.
Although you may have already posted the recipe, regardless, please post it again. I love horseradish, I am not sure I can find the root, but I will search. I remember my late B-I-L whose was Polish/Catholic making the horse every Easter in their basement, it was a family tradition!

Although you may have already posted the recipe, regardless, please post it again. I love horseradish, I am not sure I can find the root, but I will search. I remember my late B-I-L whose was Polish/Catholic making the horse every Easter in their basement, it was a family tradition!
Sure. It’s very easy.

Fresh root
Peel off the outside skin
Cube into smaller sized cubes
Place all cubes in food processor with metal blade
Whirl and whirl until it sticks to the bowl
Then scrape and whirl some more
Be warned when you open the lid, the fumes can kill a horse
Use a 1:1 ratio of water to WDV
Add a small amount of the WDV
Add a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar
If you want red horseradish, add some beet juice or a small amount of beets and whirl

The key to very hot horseradish is to whirl it dry to as small as you can get it. Then let it bloom in the food processor bowl for a few minutes before adding the 1:1 liquid.

Once the liquid hits the pulverized horseradish, the heat will begin to subside.

When done, place in an airtight container, top off the 1:1 so the ground root is covered with the 1:1 but don’t over do it with a gallon of liquid. Just enough to cover it and retard mold. And then fridge it.

We usually eat a lot of it so there aren’t many leftovers.

Last edited:

Don’t hear much about them now
I remember visiting my grandfather in Iowa every couple of years when we were kids. His neighbor across the street had a rhubarb patch. I used to grab a saltshaker, go pick a stalk and eat it just sprinkled with salt.

The only thing I can say about horseradish, which I love, is don't plant it close to anything else. It spreads out like mint plants and is a bear to get rid of.

I used to “pick” rhubarb through the fence of the neighbor and dip it in sugar, now? That makes me gag!
Tabasco on watermelon, a little black pepper on strawberries, scotch and ice(not too much).
Oh, wait that’s not that odd! Or is it?

I remember visiting my grandfather in Iowa every couple of years when we were kids. His neighbor across the street had a rhubarb patch. I used to grab a saltshaker, go pick a stalk and eat it just sprinkled with salt.

The only thing I can say about horseradish, which I love, is don't plant it close to anything else. It spreads out like mint plants and is a bear to get rid of.
An old neighbor of mine grew rhubarb.

He would give me some and my mom would make rhubarb pie.

This neighbor was originally from Minnesota. He told me his grandparents would run rhubarb stalks through an old press and would can the juice. It was a source of vitamin c during winter.

When I think about that, it brings to mind just what a privilege it is living at this moment in time.

Back