Controversial Combos: what are yours?

Sorry I don't get it
A roundabout way of saying that a rhubarb and everclear drink sounded like a health tonic.

Side note: an old coworker used to talk about his farmer grandfather who as an old man drank a glass of grappa every morning before going out to work the fields-stayed healthy and active into his late nineties, allegedly.

A roundabout way of saying that a rhubarb and everclear drink sounded like a health tonic.

Side note: an old coworker used to talk about his farmer grandfather who as an old man drank a glass of grappa every morning before going out to work the fields-stayed healthy and active into his late nineties, allegedly.
Ok. Get it now.
I make a rhubarb liquor with diluted Everclear to a 25% ABV. Follow the same procedure as making lemoncello. Its wonderful especially with soda and ice on a hot summer evening!

Contribution to early discussions: Iā€™ve used salt on watermelon, cantaloup, and grapefruit all my life. As well as Ketchup, mustard, and pickles on bacon cheese burgers (preferably Whataburger). A football favorite: Fritos pie: Fritos topped w/chili (no beans of course). Just turn the single serving bag sideways, open it along the seam, pour the chili on, add a spoon, and head back to the bleachers. I like ketchup on eggs but prefer Texas Pete, Frankā€™s, or Louisiana Hot Sauce on them as well as hash browns (w/ diced ham).

My additions: A-1 steak sauce on a baked potato w/salt, pepper, butter, cheese, and bacon bits. Also, Texas Pete, Frankā€™s, or Louisiana Hot Sauce on fried chicken, ketchup along w/ one of those hot sauces on fried okra, Tobasco pepper vinegar on turnip or mustard greens, and sliced pickle jalapeƱos in black eye peas.

Salt in beer: As a homebrewer I know table salt (NaCl) increases the chloride:sulfate ratio and therefore increases perception of a fuller mouthfeel (maltiness). The sodium released the CO2 further reducing sharpness to compliment the malty perception. Likewise, CaCl can be added. Conversely, gypsum can be added to tilt the ratio towards sharpness (bitterness). The ratio is used in water chemistry when we build our water (brewhaus liquor) for the beer. Entire books have been written on the subject and the obligatory arguments ensue.

Last edited:
Not weird, but what if you mixed them?

Then maybe weird or ???
I wouldn't admit mixing them to anyone......ever.....
I am on a hiatus right now for all cocktails, this slow weight addition I have been adding over the past few months isn't going to fall off on it's own and giving up alcohol is the easiest way to cut calories that I can find......too bad it's summer!
I don't know what it's called when you remove either the beer or the bbq from that combo......guess we will see

Bowl of fried rice with fried egg on top with a good sprinkle of furikaki.
According to my brother (some years past,) that's not far from a typical Japanese breakfast. Bowl of screamin' hot white rice, crack an egg over it, and season to taste.

I put my grilled cheese directly in my tomato soup....eat it like a stew......
Used to put French's mustard on my scrambled eggs that turned into A-1 on scrambled....this is better than ketchup, give it a go!
I am sure there is others but to think of them......

I wouldn't admit mixing them to anyone......ever.....
I am on a hiatus right now for all cocktails, this slow weight addition I have been adding over the past few months isn't going to fall off on it's own and giving up alcohol is the easiest way to cut calories that I can find......too bad it's summer!
I don't know what it's called when you remove either the beer or the bbq from that combo......guess we will see

I pretty much quit drinking beer and ale a few years ago because the ones I enjoyed most had lots of carbs and calories. I also gave up potatoes and really cut back on pasta and bread.

I drew the line and would not give up red wine, but did replace beer with Iced Tenesseewhiskey a 16 ounce glass full of of ice with 2 oz of a decent 80 or 90 proof topped off with water.

I'm sure scotch and water or bourbon and water is blasphemous to some but it is about half the calories compared to a beer AND I tend to drink less than I would drink beer.

But, I'd never mix bourbon and vodka o_O

Yeah I really cut back on beer myself too, I use beer and bbq as a popular term as they generally go hand n hand.
I also am on a stop all alcohol for a bit mission, I posted somewhere earlier about the easiest way to cut calories.
It was any liquor that I liked either neat or mixed with water, bubbly and not bubbly........its the least amount of calories other than no booze.
I should look into that Iced T------------ stuff....sounds good!

Controversial Combos: what are yours?​

Dipped with sweet, gardinera on the side, never red sauce but you can add cheese.
1689803619655.png

@DanHoo and @Darryl - swazies : Books have been written on how to drink beer and loose weight such as The Drink Beer Get Thin Diet.

IMO, carb control is the best reason to brew your own beer. I brew session strength beers that are low(er) ABV and carbs than their full strength counterparts but otherwise have the same great flavor and mouthfeel. IOW, theyā€™re not watered down versions. Books have been written on how to do this well also.

To make sure it wasnā€™t just me, I wanted to gauge my beers against someone other than the usual suspects that hang around my kegs so I sent a couple off to some competitions (which I donā€™t normally do). I got some positive feedback on a Ord Bitter from a highly ranked judge at the National Homebrew Competition (largest in the world) first round (but didnā€™t advance), got a third place for a Stout here in AL, and a second place for a Leichtbier in NY. All of these beers were in the ~ 3.8-4% ABV range. IOW, theyā€™re pretty good beers.

Combine that with cutting down from my normal 2-3 pints to 1-2 pints per day, and for a cpl years now (since Apr ā€˜21) I am hovering in the 195# range down from 240# +. I had to buy new pants and shorts and cut a new hole in my belt because I lost 4ā€ around my waist.

Cheers! šŸ»

Last edited:

Back