Chuck roast fail... Autopsy requested

Sorry, don't have any pics. But I'm curious as to any shared wisdom as to how my chuck roast went so wrong.

I had never done a chuck before but liked the idea of having something to pull for sandwiches and tacos. I had a chuck roast of about 4 pounds. That was my best guess as my beef comes from a local rancher and usually isn't labeled for weight.

Rubbed with salt and pepper over a layer of yellow mustard. Rested it for an hour in the fridge and then put on the WSM at 9:30 am at 225 with several pecan chunks. The WSM held between 225 - 254 throughout the cook.

I took chu8ck's temp at 1:30pm (after 4 hours) and it had come up to 145. This was much behind my anticipated schedule. At 3:30pm it hit 164 and appeared to be stalled. I wrapped tightly in foil with a little beef broth, half an onion and some garlic and put back on.

At 4:45pm I took the temp again and it was up to 185. I wanted the bark to reset so I unwrapped at this point and put it back on the smoker (at 245) thinking another half hour or 45 minutes might get it up to 195 and ready to rest for a bit.

I was getting very worried at this point as I was already WAY past when I thought I'd be done and a probe test was nowhere near tender.

At 5:15 I checked again and the chuck hadn't come up hardly at all. It was only at 188 and still nowhere near tender. Out of time and options I put it in a pan with some more broth, wrapped in foil and threw in the kitchen oven at 300.

At 6:15 the roast had come up to 192 but still not tender. Out of time I pulled it and let it rest for a half hour and then tried to pull it.

Ha ha. Hardly any connective tissue had rendered. The roast was still tough like a balled up dish rag. There was no way to pull it apart so I sliced it thinly on a bias and poured some reserved juice on it. Flavor was great and it ate fine on a sandwich, but it was nowhere near what I expected in terms of tenderness.

It was certainly cooked well done in the middle so I have confidence that my temperature readings were good. And all told it was on the smoker at a relatively stable cook temp for a little over 8 hours, plus another near hour in the oven. To get to fork tender I'm guessing I would have needed several more hours on the smoker.

Is this just part of the deal with BBQ that sometimes what you think will be necessary for time turns out to be wrong by like 50% given the vagaries of different cuts of meat? Or do cuts like chuck and brisket often take a long time to get to the point where that connective tissue renders, but once it starts relatively quickly? Or am I missing something more obvious because I'm dumb?

Thanks for any help.

I will be watching this, I had a very similar "shoe leather" experience. I was really surprised as I had done a similar sized chuck roast using a rotisserie recipe from Rick Bayless. Granted, it was hotter than 225 (now that I think about it) with a fairly long marinade. I was skeptical when I started that one but, I was rewarded with that. The slow 225 was seven+ hours and it was a disaster!
I feel for you Joe!

I think your mistake was trying to set the bark again. Once you unwrap the roast you are basically setting up a 2nd stall. The stall is caused by evaporative cooling. You've gotten that meat surface all wet again so when you unwrap it and throw it back on that thing will stall or even drop in internal temp. If you want to try to set the bark make sure the roast is completely done or a lot closer to done. It's only done when it's done. You are relying too much on internal temp. You may have just needed to cook it up to 205 for instance to get it to pulling tenderness. You only got it to slicing tenderness which probably still tastes amazing.

I'm surprised you were only at 145 after 4 hours. The last one I did I was close to 170 at that point, that's when I wrapped it in foil. As Dustin mentioned above, I like 205 to start checking for tenderness. Don't give up on chuck roast's, they are so good when cooked on the WSM.

Joe.
I can only echo what Dustin/Pat/Dave has said. IMO you did nothing wrong except get a wee bit impatient as you were pushed for time. Been there.
I did a featherblade cut a while back, and that thing was still like boot leather at 205f IT. It didn't fork test till it hit 214f, after nearly 10 hrs.
Next time give yourself more time, sit back & let it do its thing.

I've only done a few of them, but I've learned that chuckies can definitely take a deceptively long time to "finish". Just remember that it's a lot easier to keep meats warm than it is to get them to cook quickly. I budget a solid 8 or 9 hours for a chuck roast cook; a bit longer if it's more than about 2" thick.

Interesting thread...I had a strange chuck roast experience myself this weekend.

I too, experienced the chuck roast was slow to rise in IT. It appeared to stall at 144 (sat there for over an hour) so I placed in pan and foiled top, leaving a 1/4" gap to vent steam. The IT jumped by 30 degrees within 2 hours. At that rate it was too fast, so I removed from pan and within 20 min the IT dropped by 20. I did a double take with the Thermopop and much to my surprise the temp dropped.

So I waited a couple to see what would happen..temp only increased by 10. At the point I figured it was a game and the chuck roast was screwing with me.

I placed back in pan, waited till it was '210' IT then placed in oven to rest for 90 min. Needless to say, it was pretty dang good. I ended up chopping it and mixing in aujus I reserved from placing in pan earlier.

Our grocery store had chuck roast bogo so I got a couple more try and master a technique. Good luck man!

I did one a couple weeks ago, smoked it for about 5 hours, wrapped it in foil, and 3 hours later it was at 210F and tender. I left them in the foil and put into a small cooler until we were ready to eat.

I have never tried to slow down a cook before, since resting in foil improves the final product. I have had pork butts that were too hot to handle after 7 or 8 hours before so i shoot to be done early.

Thanks all for the good advice. I never considered that trying to reset the bark that far off the desired finished temp might have the perverse effect of making the stall worse. That's great to know.

And as I've attempted to learn over and over again, more patience and time makes your barbecue better. Someday I'll remember that.

good advice has been given in earlier posts, the only thing I have to add is if it's overcooked, it can still be twisted like spaghetti (like Dave/G mentioned), but it'd be dry & stringy. Yours (along with some of my earliest) appears to have been under cooked.

I think your mistake was trying to set the bark again. Once you unwrap the roast you are basically setting up a 2nd stall. The stall is caused by evaporative cooling. You've gotten that meat surface all wet again so when you unwrap it and throw it back on that thing will stall or even drop in internal temp. If you want to try to set the bark make sure the roast is completely done or a lot closer to done. It's only done when it's done. You are relying too much on internal temp. You may have just needed to cook it up to 205 for instance to get it to pulling tenderness. You only got it to slicing tenderness which probably still tastes amazing.

X2. Did something similar with a brisket that got me a second stall.

Iv been there.. actually unwrapped a pork butt to darken some, as well as a brisket and BOTH times the temp drops and stalls almost immediately. Just like u did, i expected to have like 45 mins to get it to temp, and it turns into another 2 or 3 hours.

Iv given that up completely. Once that piece of meat is wrapped in foil, it stays that way until 205 for testing. Unwrapping does nothing but cause trouble..:wsm:

rb

I've done quite a few chuck roasts. I try to start with as thick a piece of meat as possible. Many in the store a barely more than thick steaks and these have always been less satisfactory. Cooking technique has evolved into the following:

Cook at approximately 275 F
Foil after it gets good color, about 160 - 170 F internal temperature
Cook in foil until tender
Remove foil and firm up the bark for about 5 minutes before pulling.

Back