Surf 'n' Turf. Featherblade (PSB) & Monkfish Tails.

TonyUK

TVWBB Guru
Hi Folks.

As I mentioned in the Barbecue forum, this is the first time I have cooked this cut of meat. I read conflicting reports on the web on how to cook this. I went with low & slow.

Prep:
The meat was based with a hoisin/sriracha glaze, then dusted with homemade rub, & left in the fridge overnight.
Started off at 09:00, and planned on the cook lasting at least 7 hrs. (Guests arriving a 5pm, planned to eat for 7pm).
Veggies.
Red/Orange Bell Pepper, Red Onion, 6 Cloves of Chopped Garlic, 1 x De-seeded Sliced Chili, 1 x Small Can of Corn, Button Mushrooms, Worcestershire Sauce & Guinness.
Monkish tails marinaded in evoo/Thai Chili Rub overnight.

The Cook.
Tin-can Minion method using a full ring of Aussie Heat Beads.
Wood. Maple & Cherry in amongst the briqs & a lump on top after the tin-can was removed.
Put the meat on and assembled the cooker straight away. Was shooting for a cook temp of 250f until I got an IT of 165f. All vents open. The cooker dialed in to +/-240f after about 30 minutes, whereupon I closed all three bottom vents to about 10% open, top vent 100% open.
Things were going well until I got to 153f, 2 hrs in, where it stalled. No probs. About 2 hrs later it got to 160f & I decided to put the meat in the veggies and tightly foil. Open all three bottom vents to warp-speed and shoot for 205f IT. Cooker temp fluctuated between 350f-380f, finally settled at +/-360f.
I hit another stall at 180f IT which lasted about 2 hrs. Starting to get a bit nervous, it’s now 3pm. 1 hour later IT hits 205f. Did the fork test…..tough as old boots!! Panic mode kicks in, guests arriving in an hour. Let it run until an IT of 210f, fork test, still tough!! It’s now 5pm. IT jumped to 214f and stayed there for another hour. Fork test, like spaghetti….yeeha! Took it off the cooker, wrapped in foil & old towel and stuck it in a cooler for an hour. During which I prepped the SJ to grill the monkfish tails.

The Pull.
I never did the pull, but the CEO & Friend did. I was out back getting SJ ready with my pal & drinking beer. The CEO says it pulled beautifully except for a ball of sinew in the middle that you could have strung a guitar with! I later learned that this piece of sinew that runs the whole length & width of the meat & will not break down, but just contract. This would account for the reduction in length by about a third. No probs, we had around 4lb of meat.
Just as the table was being laid I put on the monkfish kebabs, as these only take 3 minutes either side.
The pulled beef was excellent. Rich flavour with nice smokey undertones, & the monkfish complimented it well. Result! Friends went home with a decent doggy-bag.

Edit: I forgot. The sides were boiled new potatoes in mustard & chopped bacon dressing. A salad that the guests brought with them that contains…....err salady stuff with a very nice vinagerette.

Apologies for the lack of photos, but I was running around like a one-armed wallpaper hanger! (Store, picking up guests, panicking etc.).

Meat.
5k4m14.jpg

Veggies.
24e3jir.jpg

Beer. Marinading in iced-water.
2e4hgg9.jpg

Cooking.
o8gqq9.jpg

Served.
4hzk1f.jpg

x373wm.jpg

Thanks for looking, & have a great weekend.

Last edited:
Tony, great looking table setting and fantastic looking plate of food! I have never heard of featherblade before, what is it?

WBZ.

FEATHER BLADE / INNER CHUCK.

A small cut taken from along the shoulder blade, feather blade has very good marbling and lots of flavour, but needs either very fast or very slow cooking, as you would for onglet.

ONGLET.

A barrel-shaped muscle cut from along the spine, which is finally finding fame over in the UK as a well flavoured, textured steak cut. It has a strong, almost offally flavour and needs careful treatment in the kitchen, but brings rich reward whether served nice and pink or stewed until tender.

I had not heard of onglet before either.

Darn, Tony, I got all stressed out reading "The Cook" section of your narrative. I've been there so many times with a looming deadline and being stuck in a stall. Absolutely a gorgeous cook. Made me grin with the marinating Coronas!

Back