Caveman Cooked Aged Ribeye's

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Picked up some Choice Ribeye's intending to age then a la Alton Brown's method. Used it many times and it is fantastic. First Day in the paper and in the fridge

DSC01614_zpsksviz6cs.jpg

Day 2, re-wrapped new paper

DSC01620_zpsp0xmba8m.jpg

Day 4, that was plenty for these steaks. Trim off any dried out edge pieces and trim fat back to nice white aged fat

DSC00589_zpsg6ixbzsi.jpg

Cut off the last inch or so of the Gus, use a peeler and take of the outer skin the last three or so inches

DSC00592_zpsbf77ilwj.jpg

Coarse Sea Salt and Fresh Ground heavily, Lump Charcoal at least three inches deep and fanned slightly to remove any external ash, Ribeye's on. And two yellow onions on first unpeeled directly in the coals.

DSC00596_zpsbdmfyyve.jpg

About two and a half minutes per side and the crust is phenomenal, but internal was only 105. Placed indirect with a pat of butter on top and the onions pulled and all on the grate while the Gus is getting done. Gus has EVOO, Kosher and Fresh ground along with some Garlic Powder on it

DSC00599_zps1ctuqu0t.jpg

Tonights fire extinguisher, a real nice Beer

DSC00600_zpswj7sfnne.jpg

Gus with a little lemon juice drizzled on, baked potato with butter S&P, all on the plate. The CEO was smiling a lot. I was too.

DSC00603_zpssn9wjpq9.jpg

Beautiful plate & thanks for sharing the technique - (anyone interested in dry aging - try it)

Bill, is the CEO also the spousal unit? I'm a little slow with these things. :rolleyes: I refer to mine as "The Appropriations Committee" and I can assure you it's tough getting a spending bill past her! :( But Bill, that cook you chronicled is boldly creative, inspiring, and taste-tingling all at once! Very well done, Sir!

Bill, is the CEO also the spousal unit? I'm a little slow with these things. :rolleyes: I refer to mine as "The Appropriations Committee" and I can assure you it's tough getting a spending bill past her! :( But Bill, that cook you chronicled is boldly creative, inspiring, and taste-tingling all at once! Very well done, Sir!

Wow Mickey thanks, and yes the CEO is the Wife Unit LOL

Bill, nice looking meal. I've always wanted to try my steak cooked that way. Looks great!!!

Last edited:
Like the aging process and the caveman cook. Got to take some guts to take the price of a car payment and throw them on roaring hot coals, but if anyone could pull it off it would be you, great cook sir!

Impressive cook! Not sure I have the guts to do that, lol

Had you not aged them, would the caveman method still worked?

Impressive cook! Not sure I have the guts to do that, lol

Had you not aged them, would the caveman method still worked?

works just the same Chuck, only thing that changes is the speed it cooks, and the flavor. Faster and tastier for the aged.

Back