Carne Asada tacos from flanken cut beef ribs

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
Or maybe these are burritos , they're pretty large.

This is one of my fav things to grill on the Kettle, and its my fav taco.

I get flanken cut beef ribs at Sams and marinate them in Goya Mojo Criollo , these marinated all day. I usually let them set over night.

20210624_095103.jpg

I had a choice of three rubs. In the past I've used the Chef Merito and Cattleman's 8 Second carne asada. Last time I used each on half of the ribs and when combined with all the other flavors, I could not really tell a diff in the final product. And I've not used Malcolm Reed's Grande Gringo.

20210624_174318.jpg

I went with the Gringo. And it had the aroma of chili. I don't know what seasoning that would be. When on the meat, its darker than I expected.

20210624_181508.jpg

Grilled them on Kettle. Used a mixture of B&B Oak charcoal and B&B oak lump. These are no more than 1/2" thick , so it does not take long. I kept flipping and they were done in 6 to 8 minutes. Then its cut out the bones and cut them in strips for the tacos.

20210624_184215.jpg

20210624_184405.jpg

20210624_184832.jpg

Put them on Mission's Low Carb tortilla, as I'm stickin to a keto diet. They're 4 net carbs each. I'm still amazed I can eat like this and lose weight. Its been a while since I've had tacos, but I could not tell that these were low carb.

Add sour cream, onions, pico de gallo, cilantro, jalapeno slices, and fresco cheese ............ and its a trip to Flavortown

20210624_190554.jpg

Last edited:
Lynn,
Great cook! I am excited to make my father's day gift Flacken ribs tomorrow. How do you like the Cattleman's rubs. My next order of rubs is going to be the Cattleman's California Tri Tip and one of their Mexican rubs, have you tried the Mexicano rub? I was leaning towards that one over the 8 Second carne asada.

Have not tried either of those. I would like to try the Mexicano. Chef Tom uses that a lot.

I have tried the Steakhouse Seasoning, and liked it a lot. It just has tough competition from Montreal, Holy Cow, Kosmos SPG with Texas Beef and Cow Cover, and their Smoky Chipotle Coffee rub.

I wish they would let the customer pick the three rubs in their sampler pack.

Have not tried either of those. I would like to try the Mexicano. Chef Tom uses that a lot.

I have tried the Steakhouse Seasoning, and liked it a lot. It just has tough competition from Montreal, Holy Cow, Kosmos SPG with Texas Beef and Cow Cover, and their Smoky Chipotle Coffee rub.

I wish they would let the customer pick the three rubs in their sampler pack.
Ok, I am going to go for it and order the California Tri Tip and the Mexicano this weekend, I will report back in the next few weeks.

I can tell ya that the 8 Second Ride has some heat, it has crushed red peppers.

I'm using the Steakhouse tonight on T-Bones. Its good, but I would not order it again. There's too many other better options.

And I've not yet opened the Smokey Chipotle Coffee Rub. I'm storing it in the freezer till I deplete some other rubs.

If I were placing an order with All Things BBQ today, I would get the Mexicano and maybe the Ranchero.

Ok, I am going to go for it and order the California Tri Tip and the Mexicano this weekend, I will report back in the next few weeks.
The authentic TT seasoning if you ever cook it over an open fire.

Looks like some great tacos, Lynn. Gotta be honest, when I first read "tacos from flanked cut beef ribs" in the subject, I thought "Oh no, what about the bones". I should've known you'd have a plan for 'em.

My cilantro came from my garden. This is my second season of growing cilantro. There are some herbs or veggies that aren't much diff from the garden than from the grocery store, but cilantro is not one of them. Garden cilantro has a big flavor burst.

I was in the produce section of the grocer last week and I picked up some cilantro and and rubbed some leaves together and got no aroma. Do that to garden cilantro and it will permeate the air.

If ya thinkin about an herb garden or a salsa garden, cilantro is worth the time.

Back